Encrypting/securing data before backing up to the cloud

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Suggested Backup Solution

• Boxcryptor

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Password Protexcted 7-zip folders

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just upload it

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A security software solution (such as Kaspersky Total Security's Backups)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Physical Backup

• Try to upload a full system image to the cloud

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 22, 2014
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Zemana
What is a safe way to secure my privacy/file security when uploading it to the cloud (AWS). Box and Dropbox are used occasionally. I already tried Kaspersky's containers back when PURE 3.0 was the stable version. It ended up with throwing an error and being unable to open the encrypted container. After losing a HDD full of data recently (my stupidity for failing to frequently backup), I am looking for a viable option for daily or every 2-3 days backup solution. I have unlimited space essentially as there was a sign up promotion months ago.

I am somewhat aware of Boxcryptor (but the free version has a good bit of limitations correct?). I would use an external HDD - but seriously am unable to afford it at the moment or in the near future.

Any suggestions?

If Boxcryptor is suggested - is there a dummies guide to it?

Also, - the internal drive that failed was WD (OEM type kit from Amazon). It has a few months remaining under warranty. Would you suggest an RMA or leave it alone?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 52
Verified
Aug 2, 2015
Operating System
Linux Mint
Installed Antivirus
Default-Deny
*Other
Cloning is the way to go (for me).
I don't encrypt because I have no chance of the drive being leaked or hacked. I store it myself in a fire resistant safe. If I were utilizing the cloud for Drive backups, 100% encrypt before hand.
I don't have the multitude of upload/download issues that can make cloud backups a hassle, service failier due to routers, modems, cables, weather, ect.
Then you have to worry about access or forgetting passwords, encryption working or not working properly. I could go on and on.
With cloning I have control over the data, no having my data stolen, leaked or lost. I clone on Sundays, I can access my data at any given time with no worries.
I am back up in an instant if I suffer an attack or HD burnout
I like keeping things secure, but simple.
PeAcE

Last edited:

Der.Reisende

Level 34
Verified
AV-Tester
Dec 27, 2014
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Quick Heal
*Other
I don't encrypt because I have no chance of the drive being leaked or hacked. I store it myself in a fire resistant safe. If I were utilizing the cloud for Drive backups, 100% encrypt before hand.
I don't have the multitude of upload/download issues that can make cloud backups a hassle, service failier due to routers, modems, cables, weather, ect.
Then you have to worry about access or forgetting passwords, encryption working or not working properly. I could go on and on.
With cloning I have control over the data, no having my data stolen, leaked or lost. I clone on Sundays, I can access my data at any given time with no worries.
PeAcE
+1

Manual backup once in a month at least, on two eHDDs (non-encrypted), once folder structure is set up, it's pretty easy to drag and drop files to them, with Windows (10 for me) asking to overwrite / skip existing files to prevent duplicates.
Using OneDrive seldom, for quick moving files from laptop and main PC (always searching for my USB stick :D).

Jrs30

Verified
Feb 4, 2016
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
ESET
My vote was for third option! For I do not use any! I send my file without encrypting because I can access anywhere without problems, have no important file in the cloud (using Google Drive), my password is strong, two-step verification! most important documents not are sent to the cloud! I have many passwords, do not send any to cloud, I'm not in any corner (only in my mind), send, photos, videos, music, documents ... I am confident in the security of Google services, and also because I like to access my files anywhere (with my device and a secure network)

BoraMurdar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 30, 2012
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Emsisoft
Although I upload my important stuff to MEGA, with end-to-end encryption, I like to encrypt some most important ones offline using AESCrypt and then upload them to cloud

May 22, 2014
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Zemana
*Other
PeAcE

IMHO, this is an ideal option - and until recently a good bit or organizations used "tapes" for backups - every day. Deleted a file- know the date? We can research it and may can retrieve it manually from the physical media. I am just pretty limited on the funding - especially right now. Once the basics are taken care of- then I may get some discretionary spending.

I agree. WIth over 200+ million email account passwords stolen recently - I really don't know about using the cloud especially for FDE/cloning without encryption. It would also be nice to have a "nightly backup" using a desktop client in the background that backed up new or changed files, and automatically encrypted them. I have the cloud storage space already. Can't purchase the physical media at the moment.

Jul 28, 2014
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Kaspersky
No encryption because important files are in a hard drive and not in the cloud. To be the cloud is for ease of having files and folders throughout all my devices and I feel that adding encryption to the files would make them less accessible to myself.

Aug 7, 2017
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Norton
Pretty old thread. But thought of adding my tuppence here.

I have begun to appreciate Duplicati as my cloud backup software. It is open source and works pretty well. It does have some bumps every now and then (it's a beta) but nothing that cannot be resolved. I use it encrypt and backup my core data to Amazon Drive, Mega, PCloud, Google Drive and OneDrive