Encrypting/securing data before backing up to the cloud

Suggested Backup Solution

• Boxcryptor

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Password Protexcted 7-zip folders

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just upload it

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A security software solution (such as Kaspersky Total Security's Backups)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Physical Backup

• Try to upload a full system image to the cloud

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
What is a safe way to secure my privacy/file security when uploading it to the cloud (AWS). Box and Dropbox are used occasionally. I already tried Kaspersky's containers back when PURE 3.0 was the stable version. It ended up with throwing an error and being unable to open the encrypted container. After losing a HDD full of data recently (my stupidity for failing to frequently backup), I am looking for a viable option for daily or every 2-3 days backup solution. I have unlimited space essentially as there was a sign up promotion months ago.

I am somewhat aware of Boxcryptor (but the free version has a good bit of limitations correct?). I would use an external HDD - but seriously am unable to afford it at the moment or in the near future.

Any suggestions?

If Boxcryptor is suggested - is there a dummies guide to it?

Also, - the internal drive that failed was WD (OEM type kit from Amazon). It has a few months remaining under warranty. Would you suggest an RMA or leave it alone?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
*Other
Cloning is the way to go (for me).
I don't encrypt because I have no chance of the drive being leaked or hacked. I store it myself in a fire resistant safe. If I were utilizing the cloud for Drive backups, 100% encrypt before hand.
I don't have the multitude of upload/download issues that can make cloud backups a hassle, service failier due to routers, modems, cables, weather, ect.
Then you have to worry about access or forgetting passwords, encryption working or not working properly. I could go on and on.
With cloning I have control over the data, no having my data stolen, leaked or lost. I clone on Sundays, I can access my data at any given time with no worries.
I am back up in an instant if I suffer an attack or HD burnout
I like keeping things secure, but simple.
PeAcE

Last edited:

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
*Other
I don't encrypt because I have no chance of the drive being leaked or hacked. I store it myself in a fire resistant safe. If I were utilizing the cloud for Drive backups, 100% encrypt before hand.
I don't have the multitude of upload/download issues that can make cloud backups a hassle, service failier due to routers, modems, cables, weather, ect.
Then you have to worry about access or forgetting passwords, encryption working or not working properly. I could go on and on.
With cloning I have control over the data, no having my data stolen, leaked or lost. I clone on Sundays, I can access my data at any given time with no worries.
PeAcE
+1

Manual backup once in a month at least, on two eHDDs (non-encrypted), once folder structure is set up, it's pretty easy to drag and drop files to them, with Windows (10 for me) asking to overwrite / skip existing files to prevent duplicates.
Using OneDrive seldom, for quick moving files from laptop and main PC (always searching for my USB stick :D).

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
My vote was for third option! For I do not use any! I send my file without encrypting because I can access anywhere without problems, have no important file in the cloud (using Google Drive), my password is strong, two-step verification! most important documents not are sent to the cloud! I have many passwords, do not send any to cloud, I'm not in any corner (only in my mind), send, photos, videos, music, documents ... I am confident in the security of Google services, and also because I like to access my files anywhere (with my device and a secure network)

orangenbaumblatt

Level 2
Verified
May 9, 2013
I think Cryptomator is worth a try. It's like Boxcryptor but open source and without an account. The only downside for me is that it creates a virtual drive with WebDAV which is for me not as user friendly as the driver based virtual HDD by Boxcryptor.

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
*Other
PeAcE

IMHO, this is an ideal option - and until recently a good bit or organizations used "tapes" for backups - every day. Deleted a file- know the date? We can research it and may can retrieve it manually from the physical media. I am just pretty limited on the funding - especially right now. Once the basics are taken care of- then I may get some discretionary spending.

I agree. WIth over 200+ million email account passwords stolen recently - I really don't know about using the cloud especially for FDE/cloning without encryption. It would also be nice to have a "nightly backup" using a desktop client in the background that backed up new or changed files, and automatically encrypted them. I have the cloud storage space already. Can't purchase the physical media at the moment.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
No encryption because important files are in a hard drive and not in the cloud. To be the cloud is for ease of having files and folders throughout all my devices and I feel that adding encryption to the files would make them less accessible to myself.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
Pretty old thread. But thought of adding my tuppence here.

I have begun to appreciate Duplicati as my cloud backup software. It is open source and works pretty well. It does have some bumps every now and then (it's a beta) but nothing that cannot be resolved. I use it encrypt and backup my core data to Amazon Drive, Mega, PCloud, Google Drive and OneDrive

Reactions: askmark
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.