Enigma Software Group Files Suit Against Malwarebytes

P

PEllis

Thread author
The complaint alleges that Malwarebytes this week began improperly detecting and reporting to consumers that ESG's anti-malware product SpyHunter® and ESG's registry cleaner product RegHunter® were Potentially Unwanted Programs. ESG alleges that Malwarebytes did so for anticompetitive motives, including to profit by unfairly diverting customers away from SpyHunter to Malwarebytes products and to attempt to apply pressure on ESG in the pending litigation ESG filed against Bleeping Computer, which is believed to be one of Malwarebytes largest affiliates. To ESG's knowledge, no other major anti-malware product flags SpyHunter® or RegHunter® as Potentially Unwanted Programs. ESG asserts in its complaint that Malwarebytes is materially misleading consumers by asserting that SpyHunter® and RegHunter® are malicious and a threat, and ESG asserts that this harms consumers by inducing them to buy Malwarebytes products and avoid ESG products under false pretenses.

Read more: http://www.enigmasoftware.com/enigma-software-group-files-suit-against-malwarebytes/

Complaint: http://www.enigmasoftware.com/legal/enigma-software-vs-malwarebytes-complaint.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
OK malwarebytes you are not alone :D
DabrTvn.png

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Are they mad? I don't know what the latest is in the Bleeping Computer nonsense but this is only going to end one way, and it ain't gonna be in Enigma's favour. Taking on a tech forum is one thing, but taking on people with serious financial clout and one of the best reputations in the industry like Malwarebytes is crazy.

Last edited:
W

Wave

Thread author
With all the money they are spending on lawyers/setting up these allegations/cases they could have invested into their product development to improve it overall. I don't really understand why anyone would to even use a product by a shady vendor doing things like this repeatedly, let alone actually work for them and co-operate with the people behind these ludicrous decisions...

Next they'll move to pick on MalwareTips or Wilders Security, how far will they go? I'd love to see them accuse a vendor like Avast, Kaspersky, Bitdefender or ESET with a case because they'd fall flat on their feet, no doubt.

Ridiculous... I hope Enigma Software Group just messed up their calendar and are just running through a practise of their April Fools prank because this is just becoming even more stupid than it was when they were making cases against Bleeping Computer.

The thing is, they aren't helping themselves any further by doing all of this. They are just proving that they cannot be trusted as a vendor... So this whole "act" to protect their image is making it worse.

W

Wave

Thread author

2:25 - "And I can focus all my resources on software and marketing and that's what we really do, we build good software and market good software, we're not thinking about billing issues" - Definitely... *sarcasm* - they don't build good software, their marketing is shady and they definitely care about billing issues or they wouldn't be causing all this mess with these allegations/court cases.

Check this thread: https://malwaretips.com/threads/Mal...gma-spyhunter-scam-MalwareTips-dot-org.52090/ - tells you everything you need to know - Enigma Software Group have shady tactics and cannot be trusted, period.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
With all the money they are spending on lawyers/setting up these allegations/cases they could have invested into their product development to improve it overall. I don't really understand why anyone would to even use a product by a shady vendor doing things like this repeatedly, let alone actually work for them and co-operate with the people behind these ludicrous decisions...

Next they'll move to pick on MalwareTips or Wilders Security, how far will they go? I'd love to see them accuse a vendor like Avast, Kaspersky, Bitdefender or ESET with a case because they'd fall flat on their feet, no doubt.

Ridiculous... I hope Enigma Software Group just messed up their calendar and are just running through a practise of their April Fools prank because this is just becoming even more stupid than it was when they were making cases against Bleeping Computer.

The thing is, they aren't helping themselves any further by doing all of this. They are just proving that they cannot be trusted as a vendor... So this whole "act" to protect their image is making it worse.
How dare you? That's defamatory. Enigma would see you in court. :p

H

hjlbx

Thread author

2:25 - "And I can focus all my resources on software and marketing and that's what we really do, we build good software and market good software, we're not thinking about billing issues" - Definitely... *sarcasm* - they don't build good software, their marketing is shady and they definitely care about billing issues or they wouldn't be causing all this mess with these allegations/court cases.

Check this thread: https://malwaretips.com/threads/Mal...gma-spyhunter-scam-MalwareTips-dot-org.52090/ - tells you everything you need to know - Enigma Software Group have shady tactics and cannot be trusted, period.

I don't even have to watch the video; one look at that guy and I know he's the one behind it all.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
http://www.enigmasoftware.com/federal-court-dismisses-frivolous-suit-against-enigma-software-group/

Guess a customer didn't like the automated license renewal scheme - which is more and more rampant for a lot of things.

Enigma Software will gladly stomp their customers - but so will a lot of companies out there.

Just read the article you share. Very interesting. Now back to the business part.
I was curious:
1) What was the market share did Enigma owned given the fact that we have alot of AM product brands worldwide?

2) How many loyal customers based they managed to retained from the past 15+ years?

3) They claim they make some of the best Anti-Malware products in the world. Which I was very curious because I couldn't find benchmarks that made the claim valid. Or it is based on customers' review a.k.a. Word-of-mouth?

4) Lastly, which is what Im very very interested to know? How do they market their product? Word-of-Mouth? And how they managed to have so much $$ to drag the law suits they have on their hands?

Just thinking along the line on their business operations models.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Could ESG be working with the US Government giving backdoor access through SpyHunter. It's just a thought as ESG are extremely defensive when it comes to negative reviews, using offensive methods to mute views and opinions of others.

Solely my opinion.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Just read the article you share. Very interesting. Now back to the business part.
I was curious:
1) What was the market share did Enigma owned given the fact that we have alot of AM product brands worldwide?

2) How many loyal customers based they managed to retained from the past 15+ years?

3) They claim they make some of the best Anti-Malware products in the world. Which I was very curious because I couldn't find benchmarks that made the claim valid. Or it is based on customers' review a.k.a. Word-of-mouth?

4) Lastly, which is what Im very very interested to know? How do they market their product? Word-of-Mouth? And how they managed to have so much $$ to drag the law suits they have on their hands?

Just thinking along the line on their business operations models.

Enigma states they have millions of clients. That's what they state on their website.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.