Epic's Laptop Config

Epic

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 24, 2014
Tweaks:
  • Java & Cookies are disabled in chrome by default. Exceptions are maintained.
  • Changed the default search engine to DuckDuckGo.
  • Except for my own USB drives, all others are blocked.
  • Remote Assistance/Remote Desktop disabled.
  • & a few more.
Others:
  • Chrome never leaves Sandboxie except for updating.
  • Sandboxie is set to automatically delete contents.
  • Every software/Driver & OS is always up-to-date.
  • Full system scan done once in a month with ESET SysRescue USB.

That's about it. :)

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
"Every software/Driver & OS is always up-to-date."
Why would you keep all your drivers up to date and how do you do it manually or via a third-party program ?

Epic

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 24, 2014
"Every software/Driver & OS is always up-to-date."
Why would you keep all your drivers up to date and how do you do it manually or via a third-party program ?
Drivers: up-to-date with respect to the laptop manufacturer’s website. I download them manually, when/if they're released.

Epic

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 24, 2014
Now, "why do you have to keep them updated" ?
There's no definite reason to be honest. I know there's no reason for me to update them but in case I see them, and remember that I'm using the older version, I do update them. Driver updates are meant mostly for bugfix. Just because I haven't encountered the bug yet, doesn't mean I'm immune. And I don't want that to happen at the wrong time. So I update them. I update it only if the laptop manufacturer release them. So most probably I won't face any problem (I never did). And if I do, I've my backups to fall back to.

it's really no need for AV ?
It depends on the user. I browse under sandboxie. I don't download much on my laptop. And if I do, I know what I'm downloading. And Sandboxie cache is cleared after every session. And I've disabled all the other USB drives (except my own), so nothing gets into my laptop without my knowledge. So technically I don't need an AV.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.