At-Risk erenchu Lightweight Security Config

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
Firewall: Avira Free
Really ? Avira didn't provide it's own firewall, even in their paid version. Avira uses windows Firewall :)
Implement some of System Image backup solutions, like Macrium Reflect or AOMEI Backupper. Both have a free and reliable version :)

Garzaman

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2017
Hi @erenchu :)

@bribon77 and you look like brothers :p

No, seriosly, you have to do backups.

With your current configuration you are not well protected against ransomware. Please, let me to recommend you some free software: SecureAplus because it is lightweight and strong, if this soft does not satisfy you VoodooShield is more complete but with more alerts.
A specific free program against Ransomware is Appcheck AntiRansomware and is very light and effective and not annoying with notifications. This program follows the philosophy of "install and forget."

One thing I didn't understand is that you have ublock and adblock running together. It would be better to uninstall adblock from your browser

Thanks for sharing and welcome to MT :)

Last edited:

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
If you aren't willing for a back-up software, try using the windows back-up under settings > Update & Security. It still performed equally decent

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@erenchu: Your config will remain in Caution unless You add an image system backup solution to the system. The 2 already mentioned solutions are free and reliable. Consider to run manual backups of Your data to external device.

Also Avira Free does not have own FireWall, so You should edit Your config.

Consider also to add VoodoooShield Free to enhance protection alongside Avira Free for real time protection.

As for on demands scanners: Norton Power Eraser, ZAM Free and EmsiSoft Emergency Kit are good ones...

Thanks for sharing :)

Last edited:

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hello @erenchu !

Thanks for posting your configuration on MalwareTips!

Please make sure that your UAC is set to MAX settings as this can help your computer security quite a bit.

I'd like to recommend that you implement or use either of the following backup program to ensure that you can overcome problems with your particular system:

1) Macrium Reflect V7 (latest version) free: Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

2) AOMEI Backupper Standard (latest version) free: Best Free Backup Software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, Vista, XP
I must stress that you should keep backups of your computer on an external thumb drive or HDD! Why? So that the backups don't get infected. By all means please do not keep it hooked up to your computer all the time nor to your network.

I’d like for you to increase your on demand scanners (no on demand scanners isn't the best. I would like for you to look into these on demand scanners:

1) Norton Power Eraser Link: Norton Rescue Tools

2) Emsisoft EEK: Emsisoft | Free Download: Emsisoft Emergency Kit

3) AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes: AdwCleaner

I would like to recommend a great antimalware program for your computer that you may be able to find a key for the PRO version which is

1) Zemana Antimalware Free: Zemana Anti-Malware | Advanced Malware Removal Software

Please consider using the following add-ons for your web browser:

1) NoScript

I'm with @harlan4096 with his recommendation on VoodooShield Free too. This is great software that can boost the security of any configuration.

By making all of these changes your security config. will be much more secure!

Let us know if you have any questions!

~Brian

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.