May 19, 2023
How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 11
On-device encryption
BitLocker Device Encryption for Windows
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Access Control
Always notify
Smart App Control
Off
Network firewall
Enabled
About WiFi router
Sky Router with built-in IPV4/IPv6 Firewall
Real-time security
Comodo Internet Security .8012
CyberLock
Firewall security
Other - Internet Security (3rd-party)
About custom security
CIS .8012 in Proactive Config with Containment Set to Untrusted
Cyberlock - ON - Create In/Out Firewall Rules for Unsafe Items.
Periodic malware scanners
Norton Power Eraser
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
N/A
Browser(s) and extensions
Primary: Edge with uBO in Medium Mode - Netcraft/BD:TL
Secondary - Firefox with uBO in Medium Mode - Netcraft/BD:TL
Secure DNS
Provided by ISP Sky Shield though occasionally Cloudflare DNS over HTTP.
Desktop VPN
None. Browsing primarily on home private network.
Password manager
KeepassXC
Maintenance tools
Windows built-in Disk Clean-up and Storage Sense.
File and Photo backup
Seagate - Toolkit - Weekly Backup
Active subscriptions
    • None
System recovery
External Drive - Backup of Documents and folders.
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Working from home
    • Making audio/video calls
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Notable changes
22.01.2022 - Reverted to Comodo Internet Security setup with Firefox as default browser and Thunberbird email client.
15.05.2022 - Reverted to Hard_Configurator setup following errors after uninstall and PC reset with Edge as default browser for MD integration while also sticking to Thunderbird for email & Updated backup routine.
13.08.2022 - Swapped to built-in backup solution.
12.09.2022 - General update in line with new guidelines.
29.10.2022 - Edge Exploit Tweaks re-implimented
15.11.2022 - Edge Exploit Tweaks removed. Removed OneDrive backups.
18.11.2022 - Firefox now my primary browser & Thunderbird primary email client.
12.12.2022 - updated Dec 2022 changes, backup now manual and onedrive. Experimenting with Comodo Internet Security but not fully committed to it yet.
11.01.2023 - Updated Security Configuration for new laptop and having won Emisoft giveaway.
22.01.2023 - Reverted to MD, ConfigureDefender - High & Enabled CFA, FWHardener, Added NPE to scanner, Edge exploit tweaks.
01.02.2023 - Now using Seagate Toolkit for Backup of Documents and Folders
18.05.2023 - Using H_C Beta and few unticks/ticks of PC use.
24.06.2023 - Back to Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home, Changed Password Manager to KeepassXC
02.09.2023 - Switched from Emsisoft Setup to CF/MD Configuration
20.10.2023 - Switched to Firefox, no longer using VPN for as work now has Azure cloud servers. Temporarily removed custom exploit settings.
01.11.2023 - Back to MD H_C setup
12.12.2023 - Added Anti-Exploit Tweaks and uBO in Hard Mode with noop rules.
20.12.2023 - Removed custom exploit rules as having some Edge freezes. Moved back to Comodo Firewall with Cruelsister Configuration.
21.12.2023 - Firefox now primary browser.
27.12.2023 - Edge changed to Primary Browser
06.01.2024 - Removed WFC, Implemented WFH & CL create firewall rules for not safe items.
08.01.2024 - Re-Added WFC
03.01.2024 - Firefox now primary browser.
21.01.2024 - Changed Primary Browser to Edge
28.01.2024 - Removed WFC and replaced with CF
05.02.2024 - Returned to WFC
31.12.2023 - New config for 2024 - MD (DefenderUI), CyberLock,WFC
28.02.2024 - Adjusted uBO Rules & Added Netcraft & BD:TL extensions
25.03.2024 - Changed to CIS .8012
Disclaimer we use date format DD/MM/YYYY here in the UK
What I'm looking for?

Looking for minimum feedback.

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

ErzCrz,​

What is the status of popular script interpreters in your Comodo setup?
I mean: cmd[.]exe, cscript.exe, mshta.exe, powershell.exe, powershell_ise.exe, wscript.exe.
Oeps forgot that @ErzCrz used Comodo. I have used Comodo Cloud AV and that 'light' version had block rules for suspicious execution of the 'usual suspects' scriptors, so I guess Comodo also protects against scriptors somehow making SWH probably the best option to use.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019

ErzCrz,​

What is the status of popular script interpreters in your Comodo setup?
I mean: cmd[.]exe, cscript.exe, mshta.exe, powershell.exe, powershell_ise.exe, wscript.exe.
Just the default for Proactive Configuration for those as Runtime Detection and Autoruns Scan which includes some others as well. I know some people who have an extensive list beyond what's there by default but not something I've played around with. All the files in the Autoruns scan have Embedded Code Detection enabled.
1643739741576.png

1643740078534.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Just the default for Proactive Configuration for those as Runtime Detection and Autoruns Scan which includes some others as well. I know some people who have an extensive list beyond what's there by default but not something I've played around with. All the files in the Autoruns scan have Embedded Code Detection enabled.

View attachment 263956
View attachment 263958

If you run powershell.exe, is it contained in Comodo's sandbox?

Reactions: oldschool

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
No, you'd have to set containment rules for that and any changes you did make with powershell wouldn't affect the system. The default setting is just script analysis/detection. Maybe it's something I should look into ;)

So, Comodo can detect scripts by heuristics like most AVs. I am not sure how effective it can be (no tests).
The Comodo Client Security can use advanced heuristics based on AMSI but I am not sure about Comodo AV.

Anyway, Comodo with your settings can be sufficient at home.(y)

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Just updating. No real isses for the most part. The Noeval uBO rule has been a little annoying to whitelist but that's only been on the occasional site. CIS updates slow the machine when running and full scans seem to get automatically aborted, maybe I'm not using the machine long enough when that's running.
Still on an old machine that isn't Win 11 compatible, hoping I at some point get around to an upgrade though I may have to go to an older one I have spare as this faster one is starting to fall apart. Time to think about an upgrade at some point soon.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Got the itch to move back to Hard_Configurator update before long. I like CIS but I think the last bug fix was almost a year ago. We'll just see bit but it's a move I'm thinking about doing.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
So decided to try going back to MD. Uninstalled CIS and restarted as normal but now MD not working :( I might have a system restore but it's been a couple of weeks sine I did an install.

View attachment 266597

View attachment 266598
When it comes to Comodo, never rely on uninstallation. In my experience, they are the worst at uninstalling. For all AV in general, it's better to create a backup before installing a third party AV.
Anyway, found a restore point from last week, will have a go at that.
Glad to hear that.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
So decided to try going back to MD. Uninstalled CIS and restarted as normal but now MD not working :( I might have a system restore but it's been a couple of weeks sine I did an install.

View attachment 266597

View attachment 266598

I'm not really surprised.
When I tried it, Comodo even blocked Windows updates with HIPS enabled (to put it simply, the installation failed)
I had to uninstall it.
I hope they fixed the problem.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
System restores just sticks at Initializing. I think I need to run SFC scan and see if that does anything.
You might want to check out this tool. Was quite helpful to me in some cases.

It's the same dev who created the Antivirus Removal Tool: Antivirus Removal Tool - The technician friendly tool to detect and completely remove antivirus software.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
So System Restore didn't fix the issue or it just kept hanging and I had to repair install to get Windows loading again. I do have an old full backup from years ago but I'd have to figure out what I've added and back that up. Alternatively, do a fresh install but that'll mean finding program discs again and a long download of a game (40gig).

I think Reset this PC might just be the best option and use Open Office or something for Word, Excel etc and Thunderbird for emails. Just doing a backup of my keepass files.

WhiteMouse

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2017
So System Restore didn't fix the issue or it just kept hanging and I had to repair install to get Windows loading again. I do have an old full backup from years ago but I'd have to figure out what I've added and back that up. Alternatively, do a fresh install but that'll mean finding program discs again and a long download of a game (40gig).

I think Reset this PC might just be the best option and use Open Office or something for Word, Excel etc and Thunderbird for emails. Just doing a backup of my keepass files.
System Restore failed on me too many times that I stop trusting it. I disable it to save disk space and ssd TBW. Macrium Reflect is so reliable that I even bought 4 licenses.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

Why not create a separate partition for games?

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Why not create a separate partition for games?
Yeah, I didn't think of that at the time. I do have a second partition on the drive with plenty of space so I'll do that this time around. Just checking if I can move the files over to the 2nd partition for the game to save me spending all weekend downloading it ;)

Not sure I can face this system reset but I better get on with it so I'm not up all night.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
It looks like you didn't backup system image every two weeks or month? that's a reason, System restore is bad sometime..

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
It looks like you didn't backup system image every two weeks or month? that's a reason, System restore is bad sometime..
Yeah, intention was for that to be the case but the exernal drive became a hassle and I've been planning to get a separate drive just dedicated to backups. Anyway, a lesson I needed to learn I think.

OFFLINE for the rest of today but hopefully it won't take long.

Reactions: CyberTech

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.