Eset 13.0.22.0 Final

B

BVLon

I have had similar issues including a seller with good feedback who ended getting licences they though were genuine (they said) - I will never buy ESET from Ebay again - You live & learn I suppose :rolleyes:
I've purchased a lot of products there and they have all been genuine and working. It was only with Eset. When I searched all, they all claim to be in the US, but are in Sri Lanka. Do dispute any transactions and get your money back. Don't let them win.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Where I live ESET only has one authorized seller in the country and if I convert the price into USD it's around $13 for Internet Security 1 device 1 year license. I think the scam ebay groups purchases few licenses from South Asian countries where it's cheaper than elsewhere then sell those same keys again and again to hundreds of customers. Later ESET receives complaints and notices that same keys are being used on too many devices and then they block those keys.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
I tried eBay, I got scammed. I obviously disputed the transaction and got my money back. All of the Eset sellers on eBay are in Sri Lanka (I have a reason to believe it's actually one group of few individuals who have registered hundreds of accounts and they also stand behinfd tech-support scam). I am trying to get eBay to unlist them. Beware Eset sellers on eBay.
Unfortunately this happened to me too last year. I was expecting a 3 seat license to ESET Internet security and it was a 5 seat license to NOD32 With 4 seats already used.

I'm also never trying to buy ESET off eBay again.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I bought a few weeks ago 2 user 2 year EIS from a German ESET re-seller - They were a fair bit cheaper than ESET UK who also don't do PayPal & the German seller does - Partially recommended to go to the German seller by a lady from ESET UK :)

B

BVLon

I have always bought licenses on ebay even for windows and I never had any problem, only once with a key that is not valid and at the time, the buyer sent me another one year that is what I use today in Kaspersky without problems.
The issue seems to be only with Eset. I have also purchased quite a lot of keys with no issues, but I can see negative feedback on all Eset sellers.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
The issue seems to be only with Eset. I have also purchased quite a lot of keys with no issues, but I can see negative feedback on all Eset sellers.
Ditto.

I've successfully bought a lot of software licenses on eBay that were legitimate.

The other word of caution I have would be for SEP -- seems like some of the 5 dollar licenses for SEP on eBay turn out to be either folks pirating a corporate installer or just repackaging the copies found on Usenet. But I'm not sure if anyone really expects a 5 dollar license on such a high end product to be legit.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
we don't like SSL inspection or we have seen performance degradation due to this kind of network stack protocol filter
I just tested whether ESET slows down site loading because of SSL scanning or not. Did it manually multiple times with a stopwatch. I chose a bleepingcomputer page for the test.
While SSL scanning is turned on ESET loads that particular page in 2.68 seconds on average but while it is turned off it loads in 2.47 seconds on average. Only a few ms but I was noticing it even without the stopwatch. So there's a slight slowdown indeed but keep in mind this was for one specific webpage only and the result would be more or less close for other domains. Also my internet connection is not the fastest so people with better internet connection probably wouldn't notice anything but this slight slowdown is true for not only ESET but also for every AVs that does SSL/HTTPS/Encrypted connection scanning.
But one thing that I like about ESET is, it lets you manually exclude apps for which you don't want SSL scanning to be done. I don't think any other AV lets you do this. For I example I set it to ignore SSL scanning on Firefox. I don't mind if it scans encrypted connections of other less important apps.

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
But one thing that I like about ESET is, it lets you manually exclude apps for which you don't want SSL scanning to be done. I don't think any other AV lets you do this.
Kaspersky has also it via Application Control Exclusions:

1582579687545.png
Also can exclude specific URLs from encrypted analysis in NetWork settings...

Last edited:

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Here in Palestine, we have two main ISPs, Hadara and Mada. The former offers BIS for $10 a year per device while the latter offer EIS for about $19 a year per device. I am currently using EIS on one of my devices provided by Mada. The most interesting part is they do not give you a 1 year license. Instead, they give you a key that renews on a monthly basis. I have purchased a license for Eset on eBay and when I tried to add the key to My.Eset, I received the error message "the key was activated many times", so one should never buy Eset from eBay.
Screenshot (3).png

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Here in Palestine, we have two main ISPs, Hadara and Mada. The former offers BIS for $10 a year per device while the latter offer EIS for about $19 a year per device. I am currently using EIS on one of my devices provided by Mada. The most interesting part is they do not give you a 1 year license. Instead, they give you a key that renews on a monthly basis. I have purchased a license for Eset on eBay and when I tried to add the key to My.Eset, I received the error message "the key was activated many times", so one should never buy Eset from eBay.
View attachment 233972
Nice that's an interesting license.
ESET's license are abused a lot and they don't do enough to stop this.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I tried eBay, I got scammed. I obviously disputed the transaction and got my money back. All of the Eset sellers on eBay are in Sri Lanka (I have a reason to believe it's actually one group of few individuals who have registered hundreds of accounts and they also stand behinfd tech-support scam). I am trying to get eBay to unlist them. Beware Eset sellers on eBay.
I concur I have had last 2 e-bay attempts getting Eset to be scams!

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
ESET's license are abused a lot and they don't do enough to stop this.
I bet they know about it and they can prevent it if they want to. But I think they want as many users to use their product. Google EIS key and you'll find hundreds of keys and they're working. Kaspersky much more strict when it comes to licensing.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I bet they know about it and they can prevent it if they want to. But I think they want as many users to use their product. Google EIS key and you'll find hundreds of keys and they're working. Kaspersky much more strict when it comes to licensing.
I actually don't think they do this on purpose because they do block keys on a regular basis. I've also seen pirated users complaining in the forum that live grid is not working and upon checking their keys they immediately block those. I think it's not one of their priority so they don't invest much on stopping that. Kaspersky once had this problem too. It was really severe. You could find hundreds of kaspersky key files online just by doing a simple google search. Kaspersky's main defense at that time was to block those domain with a malicious alert for users already using the product. But later they fixed those issues but they still have one flaw in another licensing department and this is still being manipulated.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I actually don't think they do this on purpose because they do block keys on a regular basis. I've also seen pirated users complaining in the forum that live grid is not working and upon checking their keys they immediately block those. I think it's not one of their priority so they don't invest much on stopping that. Kaspersky once had this problem too. It was really severe. You could find hundreds of kaspersky key files online just by doing a simple google search. Kaspersky's main defense at that time was to block those domain with a malicious alert for users already using the product. But later they fixed those issues but they still have one flaw in another licensing department and this is still being manipulated.
Some companies like Bullguard and Bitdefender, the key can be used once to generate a subscription (usually redeemed online) and in this case they generally do not suffer from keys piracy. Most people in my country either use Avast free or Eset. They just Google some Eset keys and they use them. I believe that Eset has a very huge user base especially in Enterprises so it is not a big deal for them

B

BVLon

Some companies like Bullguard and Bitdefender, the key can be used once to generate a subscription (usually redeemed online) and in this case they generally do not suffer from keys piracy. Most people in my country either use Avast free or Eset. They just Google some Eset keys and they use them. I believe that Eset has a very huge user base especially in Enterprises so it is not a big deal for them
Bullshit bro :D
They are selling tons of already used keys. I saw an ebay customer saying that they sold him the same key he bought couple of months ago. They are searching some pirated software forums and collecting them from there.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I believe that Eset has a very huge user base especially in Enterprises so it is not a big deal for them
This is accurate. I learned this from the ESET forum while asking for features, discussing issue with the product, etc. They're purely enterprise focused. They usually don't even add features without consulting with their enterprise customers.

Bullshit bro :D
They are selling tons of already used keys. I saw an ebay customer saying that they sold him the same key he bought couple of months ago. They are searching some pirated software forums and collecting them from there.
I think you misunderstood. He's actually talking about pirated users who search ESET keys online and use them. And you're right about ebay sellers collecting those keys and reselling.

B

BVLon

Ditto.

I've successfully bought a lot of software licenses on eBay that were legitimate.

The other word of caution I have would be for SEP -- seems like some of the 5 dollar licenses for SEP on eBay turn out to be either folks pirating a corporate installer or just repackaging the copies found on Usenet. But I'm not sure if anyone really expects a 5 dollar license on such a high end product to be legit.
Norton and Symantec can't be purchased for 5 dollars lol
The cheapest is like 15 quid for the 3-device Norton Security if you are lucky. Normally you gotta pay around 30 quid for a Symantec product. Same goes for F-Secure. TrendMicro, Panda and McAfee can be purchased for the price of a cup of coffee.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.