MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
RE: ESET 5 was officially released

Cheers james, also downloading.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
RE: ESET 5 was officially released

download was finished. but, i'll letting MrXidus to test it first.
i don't want double test at same day. like many months ago.
cheers mate.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Hello,

We are pleased to announce the availability of the longly anticipated product line 5 of ESET's flagship products ESET NOD32 Antivirus and ESET Smart Security.

New features:

Host-Based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) - blocks unauthorized changes by programs.

ESET Live Grid - cloud-powered reputation system allowing for faster, more accurate malware detection and prevention of false positives.

Removable Media Control – system for preventing malware infection from USB flash drives, CDs and DVDs, etc. Supports creation of rules based on specific media parameters.

Gamer Mode - suspends pop-up notifications, scanning and scheduled tasks while playing.

Shutdown after scanning - your computer can now shut down automatically as soon as an on-demand scan has completed

Transparent IMAP/IMAPS scanning - besides POP3/POP3S, email received via IMAP/IMAPS is now checked independently from the email client used

Other minor improvements and fixes

Link

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
What's the default status of the HIPS? Automatic?And will anyone buy a ESET 5 product?:p

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yes the default settings for HIPS is Automatic mode with rules, therefore rules were written will be allow.

P

Plexx

jamescv7 said:
Yes the default settings for HIPS is Automatic mode with rules, therefore rules were written will be allow.

The funny thing about hips is: although default setting is HIPS = automatic mode with rules, allow;

When you view the rules.... there are none...

So I can only imagine people using default settings and not realizing that....

Also the memory usage jumped up from 64000k more or less (version 4 antivirus) to 76000k on version 5....
I thought they would have reduced the memory usage.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well ESET designed the HIPS for advanced users cause they aware that novice user may confuse from the popups when its tweak to interactive mode.

techiesach

Aug 20, 2011
ESET NOD32 Antivirus & Smart Security 5 Final Released

New and improved features in version 5.x
  • Host-Based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) – protects your system from malware and unwanted activity attempting to negatively affect your computer.
  • ESET Live Grid – cloud-powered reputation system based on the previous release’s ThreatSense.Net technology, allowing for faster, more accurate malware detection and prevention of false positives.
  • Removable Media Control – system for preventing malware infection from USB flash drives, CDs and DVDs, etc. Supports creation of rules based on specific media parameters.
  • Gamer Mode – suspends pop-up notifications, scanning and scheduled tasks while playing.
  • Shutdown after scanning – your computer can now shut down automatically as soon as an on-demand scan has completed
  • Transparent IMAP/IMAPS scanning – besides POP3/POP3S, email received via IMAP/IMAPS is now checked independently from the email client used
  • Parental Control - lets you block sites that may contain potentially offensive material. In addition, parents can prohibit access to up to 20 pre-defined website categories. (Only available in ESET Smart Security)
Other minor improvements and fixes
ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 [32 Bit, English] – Link

ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 [64 Bit, English] – Link

ESET Smart Security 5 [32 Bit, English] – Link

ESET Smart Security 5 [64 Bit, English] – Link

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
biozfear said:
also the memory usage jumped up from 64000k more or less (version 4 antivirus) to 76000k on version 5....
i thought they would reduce the memory usage.
Is that on Idle or when running apps?
ESET got it's fans because it always has been light , so even if I didn't try v.5 yet I can bet this is a light suite.
Anyway the RAM usage isn't that important these days because most PC's come with at least 2GB of RAM........How's on the CPU Usage and I/O (writes)??

EG : A product that uses 60 MB of RAM but uses 60% of the CPU for the first 20 minutes of a computer's operation after log in/startup is way inferior to one that uses, lets say, 100 MB of RAM but only 10% of CPU power.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
bTm34.jpg

Been using it since release, It may not be the lightest but I can tell you from what I've felt is virtually no slow down at all, Don't even notice it running in the background, Scan is the same.
I'm liking ESET so far and will continue to use it.

Jack said:
Anyway the RAM usage isn't that important these days because most PC's come with at least 2GB of RAM...

:+1:

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
So I have been trying for 2 days now , Eset Smart Security 5 and I must say that I'm very impressed on the system impact which is very low.
Now as we all know , no security product has a 100% detection rate so even if ESS 5 has a great antivirus engine and webguard , my question would be what will happen when the Av or the Webguard won't detected a malware sample?
The newly added HIPS is a great future but it's not used how it should be.By default it comes with 'Automatic mode with rules' which in real world seems to do nothing.
I have run the Comodo Leak Test and here are the results :

vYRSN.png

xT91I.png

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
To be honest, I don't understand these Firewall tests. A Firewall would control what has access to the Internet (inbound/outbound), so wouldn't this be more for HIPS/BB?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Earth said:
To be honest, I don't understand these Firewall tests. A Firewall would control what has access to the Internet (inbound/outbound), so wouldn't this be more for HIPS/BB?
Yes ,this is a HIPS test..... And the result is not that great.....I didn't not even 1 warning when running the CLT test....
Does ESS 5 have a behavior blocker?

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
NOD32 Antivirus 5.0.94.0

Changes:

Changelog (ESS)

Fix: Parental control has issues with displaying of user accounts within Windows 7
Fix: too many redundant logs within parental control reports
Fix: issues with installation on other than default location
Fix: issues with re-activation of product in a case of no internet connection

Changelog (EAV)

Fix: issues with installation on other than default location
Fix: issues with re-activation of product in a case of no internet connection

http://www.eset.com/download/home/

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.