Battle ESET 6 vs MSE vs comodo AV with comodo FW

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
currently i use MSE with comodo firewall and im not happy with MSE as it seems to be for the general home user i would like to know there pro's and cons and there detection rates as im looking ffor a new AV since im doing an online scan with eset 6 and its found 7 threats

I

illumination

dragonx1983 said:
yeah i dnt know what its like or nothing

You can read up on it HERE or go to youtube and watch videos on it, or just simply test it yourself on your system, to see if it fits your needs/uses..

BTW, Welcome to MalwareTips!

D

Deleted member 178

The comodo suite alone covers almost all the needed layers, not to say that if you don't use its AV module, the Behavior Blocker/HIPS will just detect the malware via the cloud but will be unable to remove it.

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
i would recommend you to use CIS 6 internet security suite instead of mse,yesterday i had a friend using mse since 2 years she told me her pc was really slow and some app weren't responding like it should,i did a full scan with MBAM and it found 11 trojan! i've uninstalled MSE and install CIS for her!in term of protection and prevention CIS is better than MSE!

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Akash209 said:
Eset 6 better then All MSE and COMODO..!!! :)
It has a good detection rate, and compared with the other two products, it has the better antivirus engine. However it is paid antivirus (28.99€), and Comodo Antivirus has a very good heuristic engine.
Overall, if I had to chose between these three products, I would go with Comodo Antivirus, because it's free, it works without any issues with the Comodo Firewall, and last but no least, is a very good antivirus.

I have been using the COMODO Internet Security for a few weeks, and been testing this product with many malware samples. Not only it managed to detect some very new threats, but it will also detected adware, which other antivirus companies will allow to install.

Akash209

Verified
Feb 11, 2013
Jack said:
Akash209 said:
Eset 6 better then All MSE and COMODO..!!! :)
It has a good detection rate, and compared with the other two products, it has the better antivirus engine. However it is paid antivirus (28.99€), and Comodo Antivirus has a very good heuristic engine.
Overall, if I had to chose between these three products, I would go with Comodo Antivirus, because it's free, it works without any issues with the Comodo Firewall, and last but no least, is a very good antivirus.

I have been using the COMODO Internet Security for a few weeks, and been testing this product with many malware samples. Not only it managed to detect some very new threats, but it will also detected adware, which other antivirus companies will allow to install.

I also agree with that, but Comodo damaged my rainmeter program, and had some other false positives..!!!

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I personally think that CIS 6 is the best choice.Once you find your way around the GUI you will be pleased.It works very well on default settings.I used for quite some time on Windows 8 and had absolutely no problems.

Right now I am trying out ESS 6 on Windows 8 and although I like it,as I have always been an ESET fan,I think CIS 6 offers better protection and not to mention it is free.

D

Deleted member 2913

Umbra Corp. said:
The comodo suite alone covers almost all the needed layers, not to say that if you don't use its AV module, the Behavior Blocker/HIPS will just detect the malware via the cloud but will be unable to remove it.

This is not correct. The cloud removes/quarantines the malware too.

I am running CFW + D+ without CAV. I have tested this a lot on real system with zeroday malware & no probs for Cloud removing/quarantining threats.

P

Plexx

Open question with no right or wrong answer.

However all valid answers have been given:

avast, CAV, MSE, EAV are all valid points but the question OP should really be asking is in what basis/core functions does he wishes to see on the AV to pair up with CFW (OP only mentions detection rate but we all know detection rate solely is not the best standard protection)

Example of breakdown:

Detection and Removal capabilities: EAM or CAV or EAV
Low Resources usage (CPU/RAM/I/O) on Idle: avast!/CAV/Forticlient/EAM (EAM spikes up but not on idle)
Stable Resources usage (CPU/RAM/I/O) whilst scanning: avast! (on stock settings for scanning methods)/CAV/EAV (on version 5 since at leas on version 6 I still get random spikes)/Forticlient
Both low and stable resources differ from different systems
Fast Scan speed: WSA/avast! (on stock settings for scanning methods/CAV (as of version 6 only)/EAV/AVG/Forticlient (from that order)
Additional protection: WSA/avast!/CAV with its protection modules/AVG (ESET left out due to the known issue on HIPS)

Note that on additional protection I do not include web browsing protection modules and on all the above, I consider stock settings.

That's how it would break down and if OP had broken down from beginning, more pros/cons would be available.

That's my opinion on the OP.

D

Deleted member 178

yesnoo said:
Umbra Corp. said:

This is not correct. The cloud removes/quarantines the malware too.

I am running CFW + D+ without CAV. I have tested this a lot on real system with zeroday malware & no probs for Cloud removing/quarantining threats.

ah good to know, v5 didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.