Eset Hips or Comodo's Hips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComodoRulz

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012
I would like to install Eset Nod 32 with Comodo Firewall but not sure if both hips get along?
Any suggestions?

N

Nige_40

I have HIPS disabled in Comodo Internet Security 2013. so if you only have Comodo Firewall ? then I would try it.

For me I have Comodo Internet Security 2013 Hips turned off, and relying on Behavour Blocker.

So having Eset Nod 32 hips on, than Comodo Firewall, I would not see an issue.

But I will leave it for others to comment first and see what is best

Regards

Nigel

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
i would suggest to turn off eset HIPS (just my preference)
both run together very well very light without any conflicts,
just make sure you exclude each others main process under exclusion

I

illumination

Nige_40 said:
I have HIPS disabled in Comodo Internet Security 2013. so if you only have Comodo Firewall ? then I would try it.

For me I have Comodo Internet Security 2013 Hips turned off, and relying on Behavour Blocker.

So having Eset Nod 32 hips on, than Comodo Firewall, I would not see an issue.

But I will leave it for others to comment first and see what is best

Regards

Nigel

Correct me if im wrong, but in CIS 2013 disabling the HIPS, does not turn it off all the way, it just enables the Behavior Blocker to respond before the HIPS.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
thewolfsmith72 said:
Correct me if im wrong, but in CIS 2013 disabling the HIPS, does not turn it off all the way, it just enables the Behavior Blocker to respond before the HIPS.

This is correct. You can't think of the HIPS the same way as you did in previous versions. "Disabled" does not equal "Off". The HIPS will still react if an unrecognized application is run. This is why the HIPS is disabled by default.

D

Deleted member 178

thewolfsmith72 said:

because Umbra Corporation is omnipotent : read this : http://malwaretips.com/Thread-CIS-v6-BB-HIPS

Btw, Comodo's HIPS is better than ESET, when i used NOD32 with OAP , i disabled NOD32's HIPS

ComodoRulz

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012
Thank you, with cis 6 i'd disable eset hips but 5.10 have both would be ok maybe

P

Plexx

It is strongly recommended to disable either D+ on 5.10 or ESET HIPS.

Running both turned on you will eventually face a BSOD coupled with errors afterwards, not to mention it will break ESET to a point where a clean reinstall of ESET is the only option to fix it.

D

Deleted member 178

i agree , 2 HIPS working together = chaos on the system

King Grub

Jun 7, 2011
Note that if you disable ESET HIPS, you also disable the program's self-defense.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1945460&postcount=4

P

Plexx

One has to make sacrifices to run combos.

This is why it is recommended to use suites of the same vendor :)

On a side note, unless the user gets a rather nasty infection, ESET should be fine with HIPS disabled.

D

Deleted member 178

King Grub said:
Note that if you disable ESET HIPS, you also disable the program's self-defense.

If you have another HIPS you don't care of ESET's self defense, since the other one protects your system and ESET.

P

Plexx

ComodoRulz said:
So maybe I should just use smart security?

Smart Security on its own is fine but some argue that firewall is not up to standard.

If it really bothers you, you could simply use ESET with Windows firewall and add if you want Tinywall for example.

Most important question is also: How is ESET HIPS configured on your system.

havok

Verified
Mar 12, 2013
What about EAV 6 with HIPS disabled and Zone Alarm or Comodo firewall ?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Those HIPS are really needed so only one of time must stand alone + isn't a good idea when doing a combination if those components existed.

The only thing is that it may increase a minimal protection but the resource usage is doubled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.