ESET Internet Security 10 Review by PCMAG (3/5 stars)

How would you rate ESET Internet Security 10?

• 5 Stars (Excellent)

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • 4 Stars (Very Good)

Votes: 33 45.8%
  • 3 Stars (Good)

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • 2 Stars (Fair)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 Star (Poor)

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I have not tried ESET Internet Security 10

Votes: 17 23.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Thanks, Exterminator. I'm running Smart Security 9 now. (I really like the firewall.) Any reason you suggested I do Internet Security 10? I see downloads I presume are for Smart Security 10 at Downloads for Home and at ESET Home Software Downloads | ESET. I don't know if they would be what you were calling advanced download options.
I thought you wanted to upgrade from 9 to 10.However I always upgrade to the latest version when it is a stable release.
To get to advanced download options go here(the second link you posted) ESET Home Software Downloads | ESET
Click download
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.11.15_10h45m24s_003_.png
Which will take you here and click "Advanced Downloads"
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.11.15_10h43m49s_001_.png
Then choose which version you want 32 or 64 bit from the drop down and click download
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.11.15_10h44m41s_002_.png

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I thought you wanted to upgrade from 9 to 10.However I always upgrade to the latest version when it is a stable release.

Thanks. Yes, I want to upgrade to 10. I thought ESET Smart Security 10 was a stable release. Is that correct or is it a beta?

For me, Neil J. Rubenking deserves 3/5 for his work. Unfortunately he lost my credibility long time ago

Where does Rubenking typically go wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
What do you guys think about the point Rubenking makes about the Ping Echo test?

In testing, the firewall stealthed all ports, and resisted most Web-based tests. However, it failed the Ping Echo test, meaning that a hacker trolling for victims could get your computer's IP address. Think of it like this. It's as if you were hiding from a criminal, but when he yelled "Marco" you couldn't help responding "Polo!" and giving away your location.

By the way, I use the firewall in Interactive mode, and I find the queries tolerable. They have helped me increase my understanding of my system.

MTUser

Level 4
Verified
Sep 11, 2014
Firewall doesn't pass common tests.

What the mean by this? I always used it in interactive mode without any problem...

Reactions: mal1

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@MTUser: It means that all ports are open for possible compromised network attacks, by default any product that contains firewall module should stealth the ports properly.

Well we cannot tell how PC Mag perform the methodology but for sure a slight human error may occur.

Theoretical

Level 2
Verified
Aug 7, 2016
@MTUser: It means that all ports are open for possible compromised network attacks, by default any product that contains firewall module should stealth the ports properly.

Well we cannot tell how PC Mag perform the methodology but for sure a slight human error may occur.

Hi, if he did a "ping echo test" on a stealthed port would he have got no response from the port?

razorfancy

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016

Hi, if he did a "ping echo test" on a stealthed port would he have got no response from the port?
Yes, assume of proper configuration to block incoming connections.

"In testing, the firewall stealthed all ports, and resisted most Web-based tests. However, it failed the Ping Echo test, meaning that a hacker trolling for victims could get your computer's IP address. Think of it like this. It's as if you were hiding from a criminal, but when he yelled "Marco" you couldn't help responding "Polo!" and giving away your location. [Note: After publication of this review, I worked with ESET's developers to determine why this happened. They demonstrated to my satisfaction that no ping response was sent, and that the apparent response was an artifact of ESET temporarily blocking access to the site performing the test.]"

ESET Internet Security 10

Last edited:
Reactions: conceptualclarity

Marcos

From ESET
Verified
Developer
Jun 13, 2013
"In testing, the firewall stealthed all ports, and resisted most Web-based tests. However, it failed the Ping Echo test, meaning that a hacker trolling for victims could get your computer's IP address. Think of it like this. It's as if you were hiding from a criminal, but when he yelled "Marco" you couldn't help responding "Polo!" and giving away your location.
I reckon the problem was that the reviewer didn't realize that v10+ honors existing permitting Windows firewall rules by default. So if ICMP was initially permitted in Windows firewall, it was also permitted after installing EIS v10. That setting can be disabled or re-enabled at any time in the advanced firewall setup.

Reactions: novocaine
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.