Product name
ESET Internet Security 13.1.21.0
Installation (rating)
5.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
+ Main GUI is fairly simple for an average user
- Module categorization in main GUI and in Settings are not in tune, might come across as confusing
+- Some old users like this aging interface, some do not
Performance (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
+ Automated protection at default, good enough for average users
+ Memory scanning/ file-less malware protection/ Banking protection rated high in some 3rd party tests
+ Signatures / DNA detection among the best
+ Provides highly configurable HIPS & Firewall for advanced protection
- Known not to be very effective VS unknown malware
- Configuring well or setting HIPS & Firewall to interactive mode needs good knowledge of OS
https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/enhanced-real-world-test-2019-consumer
https://www.mrg-effitas.com/research/current-state-of-malicious-powershell-script-blocking
https://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/2019_Online_BankingQ4.pdf
https://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/MRG_Effitas_2019Q4_360.pdf
Browser protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Many features
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Highly configurable
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Excellent scores in independent tests
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Mixed results from independent testing labs
    • Can be complex in some situations
Time spent using product
Computer specs
Intel i5 4th Gen (upto 2.3Ghz Turbo) | 8GB DDR3 | 1TB HDD | AMD Radeon 8670M Graphics (2GB)
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
Overall rating
5.00 star(s)

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Didn't test the newest version of eset but it slowed down my very low end laptop ,
only comodo fw seems to be light.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
The test uses Powershell attacks for most of the part, C# (high level programming language) malware and office macros - all of these using different techniques and known exploit frameworks including pen-testing tools. What good would pen-test tools be if AVs could easily defeat them? ;)
ESET and Kaspersky have a strong monitoring against powershell attacks as evident from their own analysis blogs and these tests. They also arguably have among the best "in-memory" scanners (among the AVs), that they have documented in their whitepapers. So it wouldn't be so surprising.
I think Avast/AVG are also not behind, especially since cruelsister suggested.
Detection of malware written in high-level programming language is an ESET DNA strong-point. I do not remember the attack exactly, but Kaspersky's memory protection along with its FW was among the first to detect and block a new state-sponsored malware (no, I am not talking about Duqu 2.0).
I do not think this test is very much advanced either. Just good enough to filter which products can still not handle such known types of targeted attacks, now that one would expect them to :

Many others not participating just indicate they're either not prepared or are not confident about their efficacy.
I believe @Andy Ful has a good grasp of some of these tools like Metasploit :)
In another famous test, ESET, Kaspersky and AVG/Avast were among the few to block in-memory powershell attack using Mimikatz, though ESET did not succeed in the final test.
I think Bitdefender too, since the ATP approach is similar to Kaspersky proactive defense.

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I think Bitdefender too, since the ATP approach is similar to Kaspersky proactive defense.
One could expect from Bitdefender's ATP. It has done very good in some tests including MRG Effitas 360 test, but not so impressive in some special tests like the AV Comparatives Advanced test or MRG Effitas PS test (links from review^). Not to judge it based on a couple of tests though. Time and test-cases vary, results vary.
Another thing is they do not have their home product defenses well documented like the others. While they have a number of endpoint whitepapers (1)(2) they relate to their product features.
BD does have some impressive business solutions GravityZone Endpoint Platform and HyperVisor Introspection.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
One could expect from Bitdefender's ATP. It has done very good in some tests including MRG Effitas 360 test, but not so impressive in some special tests like the AV Comparatives Advanced test or MRG Effitas PS test (links from review^). Not to judge it based on a couple of tests though. Time and test-cases vary, results vary.
Another thing is they do not have their home product defenses well documented like the others. While they have a number of endpoint whitepapers (1)(2) they relate to their product features.
BD does have some impressive business solutions GravityZone Endpoint Platform and HyperVisor Introspection.

There is one here and here (older) about ATC/ATP.

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
There is one here and here (older) about ATC/ATP.
Again, relevant documented resources for home product lineup aren't available.
The 2nd link is too old (before the BD logo change) and the 1st one is a Business whitepaper from 2015 :)
Yet the business document seems to explain the basics of ATP 👍

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
A thorough and an excellent review for ESET. I have been using ESET for the last 5 years and it has never let me down except once. You nailed all the pros and cons. For someone who's using ESET IS in a laptop, the Anti-Theft feature is a great addition. You pointed out about the VPN. Personally I think that the Internet Security version is fine without a VPN. ESET is not bloated like some other suites which requires extensions for the web protection to function properly. The web protection and the signatures/heuristic are one of the best, if not the best. The Parental Control feature is also one of the best in the market categorising every page precisely. The minor complains I have with are the HIPS and the Firewall. HIPS in automatic mode is rubbish and in Interactive Mode will drive you crazy. The best way is to set it to SMART MODE and create your own rules. The Firewall is one of the best with Botnet Protection but I would be happy if ESET implements SMART RULES for the Firewall like Norton. In automatic mode it allows all outbound connections but it should have been this way- allow for known good applications, block for known malicious applications and ask for unknown applications. Needless to say about system impact and lightness as you said in your review- the lightest suite out there. Last but not the least I can sleep peacefully knowing that the great robot is protecting my PC. ;):emoji_beer:
Tell us more about that exception, please :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.