App Review ESET Internet Security 2019 Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

but most people have no idea about that
If one have no idea, then he shouldn't install 3th party AV and stay with the Windows Defender. Windows claims the same. Always some arguments blown out of the context and av companies claims twisted, when it's nothing to do with the av, but the user himself and for what needs he wants to use 3th party av anyway, searching for that f silver bullet, and where its nowhere to be found, user goes bananas, like it's everyone elses fault that he's an ape.

Last edited by a moderator:

normalizerx

Level 2
Oct 9, 2012
Most AV vendors advertise as able to protect 100%, and add tests and best of customers' opinions. Imagine if they state the obvious truth - we can't protect you 100%, a lot of scenarios depend on you, the user or let's say - for better protection, please consult a knowledgeable expert to set your product. This will imminently impact their sales. The overdramatic frenzy of this kind of 100% advertising has tied the vendors quite tight and they have to stick to this trend if they want to sell their products. And one very sad but obvious truth - people like being lied to, they like to hear what they think is right or what would like to be right, so that when it turns out it is not right, they can blame someone else.

uduoix

Level 5
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
If one have no idea, then he shouldn't install 3th party AV and stay with the Windows Defender. Windows claims the same. Always some arguments blown out of the context and av companies claims twisted, when it's nothing to do with the av, but the user himself and for what needs he wants to use 3th party av anyway, searching for that f silver bullet, and where its nowhere to be found, user goes bananas, like it's everyone elses fault that he's an ape.

Maybe this people shouldn't even use PC? For love of god omg..
No surprise that AV vendors act like that if people like you accept every sh*t and take a blame.
Plese go to admins in comapnies that run 100+ PCs and tell them, they shouldn't use 3rd party solution if they have no idea what is going on. But hey, it is secretary fault, because he/she is not IT geek and doesn't recognize malware. Consumer pay to be protected and if paid AV vendor tell me that default protection will protect me, then so be it.

Reactions: Weebarra
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

No surprise that AV vendors act like that if people like you accept every sh*t and take a blame.
if paid AV vendor tell me that default protection will protect me, then so be it.
I am not the one here who's suggesting people to ditch eset because it didn't perform well in this particular review. I'm not an eset's user, but everyone who uninstalled it because of this review is antivirus market sheep and hypernoob who will just run to next one in search for that invincible protection which will also promise to wash your laundry. Users are the ones who keep av vendors swimmin` in tha cash, because of their lack and willing to learn what are safe computing habits and simple proceedures needed to follown how to protect their digital content.

uduoix

Level 5
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
Who says anything about ditching eset because of this test? Point is, they claim default settings should protect you against advanced malware and they sell this. Once consumer has an issue, support starts with excuses "you should done this or that". I ditch them because i was tired of their excuses and lack of support (ignoring emails). They are not cheap and we work hard for our money, this is why i hate when people start defending vendors and blame others. I know AV can't protect you 100% but don't mislead consumers with excuses.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
+1 on that. Noobs won't even know to look for the instructions, let alone follow them. But this isn't ESET's fault. So the question becomes: should all AVs' default settings include maximum protection? I hesitate to stir the pot but isn't this the complaint that some AV critics, e.g. Windows Defender critics, use when talking about its weak default settings? BTW, I never used ESET since I like free most of the time! :)

I believe it's a problem of security x convenience. With those HIPS rules I mentioned previously in effect the HP Control Panel is unable to launch the scanner software, for instance. You have to either create an exception or just create a shortcut straight to the scanner software. Now just imagine it happening to a user that has no technical knowledge... Their support would be flooded with requests and the forums would be full of complaints that ESET broke their printer software...

D

Deleted member 178

Using HIPS for home user products is nuts, people can't or have the will to handle them.
Emsisoft understood that and abandoned Online Armor, even in EAM, it's BB was simplified to the max.

ESET HIPS was always the weak point imo, either it let everything pass or you are under a flood of prompts.
They should remove it for good.

normalizerx

Level 2
Oct 9, 2012
uduoix , you are right, of course. But again - this kind of honesty will cost the vendor sales. You, I and a few other will appreciate the open and straightforward explanation but on the large scale it will cost the vendor reputation, money. The bad thing (and not only for AV vendors) is that weakness is inexcusable and unacceptable in the corporate and advertising world. You will not be forgiven if you openly admit some weakness of your product. Unfortunately, though of course it will not be admitted openly, the trend is I cannot afford being honest when it will cost me.

Andrew3000

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 8, 2016
47572443_499109120597272_7395563904207683584_n.jpg
This is my sendings of some of the samples that Eset did not find, including two ransomware that it did not take while other producers were already aware of it. Eset is now in a slow decline, and I'm displease because it was one of the top brands on the market. I don't' know what is happening to Eset lately.

E

Eddie Morra

This is my sendings of some of the samples that Eset did not find, including two ransomware that it did not take while other producers were already aware of it. Eset is now in a slow decline, and I'm displease because it was one of the top brands on the market. I don't' know what is happening to Eset lately.
Lolwut?

You "don't know what is happening to Eset lately" because they don't have a 100% detection ratio?

E

Eddie Morra

Nope, it's been a few months now that Eset is not performing "well"
In post #92 you were implying (at the least) that ESET is on a "slow decline" and that you didn't know what was "happening to Eset lately" after mentioning that you managed to find samples they did not previously detect. This indicates to me that you think this because they do not have a 100% detection ratio, because unless they have a 100% detection ratio (which they definitely do not, neither does any default-allow AV), you're always going to inevitably find a sample they will not be able to stop.

Let me guess, you've never been able to find a sample that the vendor you rely on according to your profile (Kaspersky) hasn't flagged?

Andrew3000

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 8, 2016
In post #92 you were implying (at the least) that ESET is on a "slow decline" and that you didn't know what was "happening to Eset lately" after mentioning that you managed to find samples they did not previously detect.

Let me guess, Kaspersky is perfect and has a 100% detection ratio, so you have never been able to find samples it hasn't flagged?

Nope Kaspersky isn't perfect. No AVs is perfect in this world (as you can see here a lot of AVs were bypassed, including Kaspersky). On my second PC (laptop) i have Eset installed and I saw that it's not performing as before. After this I'm not saying that Eset sucks, it's still always a good product but they have to work hard on it.

E

Eddie Morra

Give it a week and Cylance will be the next big thing on the forums. Wait two weeks and it'll be Webroot. Maybe next month, VoodooShield will be pushed as an AV product, or Baidu will make a re-entrance after being given a magic posion.

You know what, I think Avira should be next up for the throne on the forums, at-least for a few days. Then it can change to Arcabit or Rising.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

After this I'm not saying that Eset sucks, it's still always a good product but they have to work hard on it.

This is a good point. Every vendor has to work at it as its a constant cat and mouse game, hence why you always have these up's and downs. Vendors get the upper hand, then the hackers do, it's a vicious cycle. No product is perfect and every product will miss malware at one point or another.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Give it a week and Cylance will be the next big thing on the forums. Wait two weeks and it'll be Webroot. Maybe next month, VoodooShield will be pushed as an AV product, or Baidu will make a re-entrance after being given a magic posion.

You know what, I think Avira should be next up for the throne on the forums, at-least for a few days. Then it can change to Arcabit or Rising.

What about the next unannounced product that harnesses the power of the sun to melt away all reminates of the malware. :ROFLMAO:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.