Battle ESET Internet Security VS Norton Internet Security for better protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Compare list
ESET Internet Security
Norton Security

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Norton is one of the best av on the market, have excelent signature, and one of the best behaviour bloquer, Eset have good signatures, but very poor response versus zero day malware.
look this review, in this test Eset fail to protect. Is not the firts time to Eset failed. this is why im not use Eset.

Eset with proper HIPS rules in default deny is perfect.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Banking & Payments protection :Norton
Never worked with Norton.

New scores from SE-Labs

1563483406686.png

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Yes Norton has shown a better historical track record against zero day malware. As a home user it may be a bit paranoid to base your decisions purely on the zero day protection of a given security product. It is entirely possible to encounter them, but does not happen with the frequency this forum would have you think.

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
For regular home purpose, you can't go wrong with either of the products.
NORTON:
Pros-

Excellent protection.
Low footprint.
SONAR is pretty good in catching zero day threats.
Smart Firewall which doesn't slow down the network.
Can detect exploits at the network level.
Backup and cleanup tools included.
Install and forget.
Cons-
SONAR can sometimes produce false positives.
The last time I tested it was weak against usb viruses.
The web filter is not good if you don't install the extension.
PUP/PUA detection is average.
ESET:
Pros-

The lightest suite that I've used till date. You won't even notice that it's running.
Excellent signatures agains the newest threats.
Corporate grade Firewall that can be tweaked extensively.
One of the best Web Filters without requiring any extension.
It has the best PUA/PUP detection.
The parental control includes Zvleto that's the best in class for blocking malicious and uncategorised sites.
Firewall can protect against a variety of exploits.
Cons-
It's not install and forget since the firewall and the HIPS requires a lot of tweaking.
Although the firewall is excellent I still miss out on the smart feature like Norton where the firewall will allow safe applications, block the malicious ones and ask for permission for the unknown ones. ESET just allows all outbound connections by default without any smart filtering.
Zero day protection is weak, although they are developing a BB component.
Personally I'd advice you to try out a trial period of these two products and then choose the one you like. It's very uncommon for a home user to be hit by a true zero day malware for which ESET won't have any signatures since the zero days are for targeted attacks against specific companies mostly.
BTW have you considered Kaspersky Internet Security/Bitdefender Internet Security?

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
The SE Labs review was interesting & can't really be ignored unless you have a prejudgment maybe? I don't have ESET on this PC but do use it on several, one thing I do know without any lab testing is that I started using he internet with Windows with Win 3.xx maybe 24 years ago? Most of the time I've used ESET (NOD32) & later SS/IS as it was the only decent one around for ages, in that time in all honestly I have only had one infection a worm Benjamin & used & made more PC's than I can count. IMHO that does say lots.

KonradPL

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2018
For regular home purpose, you can't go wrong with either of the products.
NORTON:
Pros-

Excellent protection.
Low footprint.
SONAR is pretty good in catching zero day threats.
Smart Firewall which doesn't slow down the network.
Can detect exploits at the network level.
Backup and cleanup tools included.
Install and forget.
Cons-
SONAR can sometimes produce false positives.
The last time I tested it was weak against usb viruses.
The web filter is not good if you don't install the extension.
PUP/PUA detection is average.
ESET:
Pros-

The lightest suite that I've used till date. You won't even notice that it's running.
Excellent signatures agains the newest threats.
Corporate grade Firewall that can be tweaked extensively.
One of the best Web Filters without requiring any extension.
Firewall can protect against a variety of exploits.
Cons-
It's not install and forget since the firewall and the HIPS requires a lot of tweaking.
Although the firewall is excellent I still miss out on the smart feature like Norton where the firewall will allow safe applications, block the malicious ones and ask for permission for the unknown ones. ESET just allows all outbound connections by default without any smart filtering.
Zero day protection is weak, although they are developing a BB component.
It has the best PUA/PUP detection.
The parental control includes Zvleto that's the best in class for blocking malicious and uncategorised sites.
Personally I'd advice you to try out a trial period of these two products and then choose the one you like. It's very uncommon for a home user to be hit by a true zero day malware for which ESET won't have any signatures since the zero days are for targeted attacks against specific companies mostly.
BTW have you considered Kaspersky Internet Security/Bitdefender Internet Security?

Thank You very much for your answer :)
With good protection i want best possible ligtnest for best performance my gaming laptop :)

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
The SE Labs review was interesting & can't really be ignored unless you have a prejudgment maybe? I don't have ESET on this PC but do use it on several, one thing I do know without any lab testing is that I started using he internet with Windows with Win 3.xx maybe 24 years ago? Most of the time I've used ESET (NOD32) & later SS/IS as it was the only decent one around for ages, in that time in all honestly I have only had one infection a worm Benjamin & used & made more PC's than I can count. IMHO that does say lots.
Exactly, SE-Labs is one of the few i trust with testing. And Eset does good this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.