Advice Request ESET IS 10 with HMPA and Emsisoft AntiMalware

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Harbor, at this point, put the mouse down and step away from the keyboard.
If you own all of that security software you do have options,
1-run EAM & VS (Solid) or
2-ESET & VS (even more Solid) and
stop the MADNESS :p lol

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Anyway, i removed HMPA on both my system, not worth the shot to me since Win10 FCU has Exploit Guards. Also i had some issues. So by removing it, i have one less security apps on my system which is good, lesser is better.

Same. Good news to me as well since my HMPA is expiring in couple of mths time since my last 2015 deal during black fri. :)

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Harbor, at this point, put the mouse down and step away from the keyboard.
If you own all of that security software you do have options,
1-run EAM & VS (Solid) or
2-ESET & VS (even more Solid) and
stop the MADNESS :p lol
Ok, appreciate that.

Unfortunately, I'm not the easily satisfied type of person. Progress is what I want. You can't have progress if you just stick to one or two software on your system, right? Experiment with various software and get the best out of them.

I have 2 tablets with an upcoming laptop. And yes I know ESET IS with VS is great.....this is one I'm planning for....but that does not mean I'll have the same config for all my devices. Makes life boring. Here's a short run down of what I'm planning for real-time protection of my devices

Laptop - ESET IS + VS + SuperAntispyware Pro (tested to work)
MS SP4 - ESET AV + WSA AV + ZA FW + VS + SuperAntiSypware Pro (tested to work)

and for MS SP3

Currently, running Windows default FW + EAM + VS. My HMPA license just expired. Will instead use

AhnLab V3 + HMPA + VS (not tested yet..waiting for AhnLab v3). Will remove EAM since @Umbra also removed HMPA from his machines. I presume there are conflicts here.

Last edited:

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I used to have that same thought as yours previously: to get as much protection as I could until I overkill it myself.

Until @Umbra post/reply regarding the lightest security to have (which happens to be AppGuard + NVT ERP + WFC at that time).

It was then I realised, simplicity is still the best. :)
As of current,
Most of my laptop/desktop (I have 6 at home) all uses EAM + Adguard.
- 3 of them with additional (sandboxie or SHADE sandbox)
- 2 of them I added NVT ERP to lockdown for my nieces.

Only one laptop uses purely NVT ERP + WFC + Adguard.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I used to have that same thought as yours previously: to get as much protection as I could until I overkill it myself.

Until @Umbra post/reply regarding the lightest security to have (which happens to be AppGuard + NVT ERP + WFC at that time).

It was then I realised, simplicity is still the best. :)
As of current,
Most of my laptop/desktop (I have 6 at home) all uses EAM + Adguard.
- 3 of them with additional (sandboxie or SHADE sandbox)
- 2 of them I added NVT ERP to lockdown for my nieces.

Only one laptop uses purely NVT ERP + WFC + Adguard.
If you really want simplicity and lightest setup get the Windows enterprise version. Go deeply into it to set up for maximum protection using Windows Defender ATP and FW. No need to install 3rd-party software

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: mlnevese

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
If you really want simplicity and lightest setup get the Windows enterprise version. Go deeply into it to set up for maximum protection using Windows Defender ATP and FW. No need to install 3rd-party software

I have one laptop without any 3rd party software, purely window hardening. Even firewall I have to tweaked it manually (and I do really hate that lol).

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I have one laptop without any 3rd party software, purely window hardening. Even firewall I have to tweaked it manually (and I do really hate that lol).
On one hand you said simplicity is the best. No 3rd-party software is the simplest, no?

On the other hand you said you hated it....

:rolleyes:

Reactions: mlnevese
D

Deleted member 178

ok , so can you buy me the 1000+$ license, Please...? :p

AhnLab V3 + HMPA + VS (not tested yet..waiting for AhnLab v3). Will remove EAM since @Umbra also removed HMPA from his machines. I presume there are conflicts here.
HMPA is known to conflict with lot of things, even just by itself, it is why i rather keep EAM.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
On one hand you said simplicity is the best. No 3rd-party software is the simplest, no?

On the other hand you said you hated it....

:rolleyes:

Simple doesn't mean lesser. It's to one own's liking. I have many systems at home, but I don't use all of them. I just apply the suitable security suite for my system in order for my family to use it safely and above all "EASE OF USE" without any concern of programs conflict. That's my simplicity.

FYI, the only laptop that is not on any 3rd party software is my spare laptop, in case any of my system is broken.
And, no I don't buy security software for spare laptop. Cost is a concern too.

He has 6 machines so it's worthwhile buying it :)

You can get equivalent effective protection for $70 with 99 % less hassle.

There is nothing automated in Enterprise; it is wholly manual. It would take the average "advanced" security enthusiast 3 or more months to properly configure. That's why Admins don't like it and it is a rare OS.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
He has 6 machines so it's worthwhile buying it :)

I indeed I owned 6 EAM license, 14 Adguard Lifetime License, 1 ZAM 2 yrs , 1 HMPA 2 yrs, 3 Sandboxie.
I try to limit my cost of subscription. And that is also why EAM is on my top list, cost is so low given the advantage of "install-n-forget" feature to me :)

Reactions: Deleted member 178

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
HMPA is known to conflict with lot of things, even just by itself, it is why i rather keep EAM.

Hmm,, thats odd, so far my EAM hasn't been in issue with HMPA (yet). Perhaps I hvn really fully utilised their feature yet? :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 178

I indeed I owned 6 EAM license, 14 Adguard Lifetime License, 1 ZAM 2 yrs , 1 HMPA 2 yrs, 3 Sandboxie.
I try to limit my cost of subscription. And that is also why EAM is on my top list, cost is so low given the advantage of "install-n-forget" feature to me :)
14 adguards ! i guess many mobile versions, but lifetime, so you are safe about ads lol

D

Deleted member 178

Hmm,, thats odd, so far my EAM hasn't been in issue with HMPA (yet). Perhaps I hvn really fully utilised their feature yet? :ROFLMAO:
The thing is you won't know until it happens, it is why limiting security software doing the same thing is recommended for classic users.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
You can get equivalent or better protection with "simple." It depends upon the layers. One of the most common mistakes people make is combining the wrong security softs.

Yup, I know. I've been there, trying to combine previously. Thats why now I quit combining lol.
My typical school of thought is Window Hardening + "fully tweaked" full-fledge security software should be more than sufficient.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
14 adguards ! i guess many mobile versions, but lifetime, so you are safe about ads lol

Oh well thats was when Adguard lifetime licenses are cheap + EAM bundles Adguard 1 yr license too (thats was some time ago) and thats where I changed them to lifetime when renewal. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Reactions: Deleted member 178
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.