Advice Request ESET IS 10 with HMPA and Emsisoft AntiMalware

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Simple doesn't mean lesser. It's to one own's liking. I have many systems at home, but I don't use all of them. I just apply the suitable security suite for my system in order for my family to use it safely and above all "EASE OF USE" without any concern of programs conflict. That's my simplicity.

FYI, the only laptop that is not on any 3rd party software is my spare laptop, in case any of my system is broken.
And, no I don't buy security software for spare laptop. Cost is a concern too.
If you just use Windows alone and no 3rd-party security software what conflicts are you expecting? If conflict is with non-security software then using Windows + 3rd-party security software will also have conflict too, right?

Yup, I know. I've been there, trying to combine previously. Thats why now I quit combining lol.
My typical school of thought is Window Hardening + "fully tweaked" full-fledge security software should be more than sufficient.

GPO, registry hardening are the way to go until it breaks something and then you have to figure out what you did that caused the breakage.

There are users on the forums that routinely apply 500+ tweaks.

If you don't have a reversing script or other means to reverse what you did, it can suxx.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
He is talking about protection conflicts - which aren't the same as process conflicts. There are conflicts between the two programs.

I see. So far I have conflicts on my ZAL (I have a lifetime license) with HMPA. Which I have to turn off either one of the logging protection features. Quite annoying, so I uninstall ZAL and keep in cabinet lol.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
You can get equivalent or better protection with "simple." It depends upon the layers. One of the most common mistakes people make is combining the wrong security softs.
You said it absolutely right. Using the right-layered security software gives the maximum protection coverage.

:)

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I see. So far I have conflicts on my ZAL (I have a lifetime license) with HMPA. Which I have to turn off either one of the logging protection features. Quite annoying, so I uninstall ZAL and keep in cabinet lol.
This is something expected if the software have overlapping protection features. Either you have to make exclusions or disable the feature in the software

If you just use Windows alone and no 3rd-party security software what conflicts are you expecting? If conflict is with non-security software then using Windows + 3rd-party security software will also have conflict too, right?

Obviously you haven't used Windows security at a deep enough level to discover that GPO has tons of bugs and annoying behaviors, AppLocker is half-baked, security stuff that is supposed to work doesn't work, there is no documentation, etc.

It is just theoretical that Windows native security is optimal. The reality is that is not always the case. In some respects it is, in other respects it isn't.

Windows security in Enterprise is an obnoxious maze that most any average Admin will find most unacceptable.

This is something expected if the software have overlapping protection features. Either you have to make exclusions or disable the feature in the software

The problems arise when protecting stuff simultaneously in two or more security programs. That applies generally to AVs and internet security suites.

Reactions: HarborFront

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Obviously you haven't used Windows security at a deep enough level to discover that GPO has tons of bugs and annoying behaviors, AppLocker is half-baked, security stuff that is supposed to work doesn't work, there is no documentation, etc.

It is just theoretical that Windows native security is optimal. The reality is that is not always the case. In some respects it is, in other respects it isn't.
You are right again. I have never interested to dig deeply into Windows for I prefer the ease of use, more features and better protection in 3rd-party security software.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015

Haha, same thought. If Window Native Security is optimal, I guess most security compare by then should be a grave concern. :oops:

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
I indeed I owned 6 EAM license, 14 Adguard Lifetime License, 1 ZAM 2 yrs , 1 HMPA 2 yrs, 3 Sandboxie.
I try to limit my cost of subscription. And that is also why EAM is on my top list, cost is so low given the advantage of "install-n-forget" feature to me :)
I remember that deal from Christmas of 2015....... Adguard + free EAM......(y)

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
@HarborFront You don't need voodoo shield with Eset because you can tweak the Hips and it will work like ANTI-EXE!
Actions=ask
Operation affecting: Applications
Application operation: start new application
Aapplcaition=all applications
Here you go:D

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@HarborFront You don't need voodoo shield with Eset because you can tweak the Hips and it will work like ANTI-EXE!
Actions=ask
Yes, I know that but I rather let VS do its anti-exe job and ESET's HIPS do the other jobs

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I agree, as ex-mod here, sometimes i have to use almost rude replies ( @shmu26 can confirm :p ), at first people felt offended but i think with time they thanks me :)
@Umbra is worth listening to. He says it like it is. By the way, I did not follow the whole thread here, I just saw that I was mentioned.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Any reason why this combo ESET & VS is more solid than the one with EAM? thanks
Just my opinion from a history of using both, and I love EmsiSoft, those that know me here can attest to that.
Eset has come a very long way, and so has EAM, but there is something about Eset and the way the Eset devs have that software set up and configured that just sits well with me, it translates well to the user, does that make sense ? Any way
thanks for asking ;)
EDIT: But please don't misunderstand me, EmsiSoft is on the right track too, Eset just has a few more
years under it's belt, and has used them wisely.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just my opinion from a history of using both, and I love EmsiSoft, those that know me here can attest to that.
Eset has come a very long way, and so has EAM, but there is something about Eset and the way the Eset devs have that software set up and configured that just sits well with me, it translates well to the user, does that make sense ? Any way
thanks for asking ;)
EDIT: But please don't misunderstand me, EmsiSoft is on the right track too, Eset just has a lot more
years under it's belt.
That's because ESET has many features for you to set as compared to EAM. So you have the feeling of control and power over it. Subconsciously you like ESET more than EAM....not your opinion

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
That's because ESET has many features for you to set as compared to EAM. So you have the feeling of control and power over it. Subconsciously you like ESET more than EAM

See, now that's not it for me, that's control, and I am referring to "flow" and the way that is translating to the user experience.
Eset, when I used it just felt good to me, one of those products that your glad and not nervous about leaving the decisions to.
Again I hope I am making sense, Advanced or older users may get me on the point I am attempting to convey.
Thanks Harbor ;)

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
See, now that's not it for me, that's control, and I am referring to "flow" and the way that is translating to the user experience.
Eset, when I used it just felt good to me, one of those products that your glad and not nervous about leaving the decisions to.
Again I hope I am making sense, Advanced or older users may get me on the point I am attempting to convey.
Thanks Harbor ;)
So you are implying I'm older than you? :rolleyes:

Ok, I'm older than you then:D

Last edited:

Rebsat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Actions=ask

Based on what you shared with us. Can I rely on HIPS of ESET only by tweaking it like yours and using it as an Anti-Exe?
How's the ability of this tweaked HIPS compare to VS? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.