ESET Newbie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giannis

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 27, 2014
My Emsisoft Internet Security expired so I am currently using ESS 8. I was struggling a bit in the beginning, with the settings and all that but I found Umbra Polaris's thread and I did everything listed there (http://malwaretips.com/threads/how-to-set-eset-smart-security-for-max-protection.14466/). I like the features it offers, however I have a few issues right now. EIS used to have 4 types of scan, quick-full-smart-custom. The only stuff I see on ESS is smart and custom. Is there a way to actually to add more types of scans like full and if so how do I enable that and which settings do I adjust? Also, I have set HIPS on smart mode and firewall on Interactive mode, should I change them?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Smart Scan should cover you enough so there's no need for other scan modes. If you want a really seamless experience, I'd suggest leaving everything on default and just rely on your instincts. Setting it up just like in Umbra's guide isn't a bad choice though if you want to have granular control over your security.

Reactions: Giannis

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
HIPS and Firewall mode is fine enough from the settings unless you wanted to bare those pop ups from ESET.

Smart Mode (HIPS) - triggering unknown process beyond on the rules
Interactive Mode (Firewall)- handles according to the rules defined by user if its not included then a dialog pop up to ask if allow or deny the connection.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
The only thing I'll change would be HIPS to Smart mode, and make sure Firewall is set to interactive, leaving the rest on default would be great. I strongly recommend you to do not follow that guide since it's an overkill. You may encounter issues on your online gaming experience if you are lucky you won't. That's why HIPS to smart mode and Firewall to interactive is more than enough.

Giannis

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 27, 2014
Yes, I have set HIPS to smart mode and Firewall to interactive. I currently face no issues (system slowdown etc) with Umbra's guide so I'm fine with it. The only issue is when a full screen application comes up like a game and tries to connect to the internet. ESET doesn't show any firewall alert (game mode) so I have to make the application windowed, restart it, allow and create a rule on ESET firewall once it prompts and then it's good to go. Also, should I change/add anything inside the Scheduler?

Thank you all for your responses.

Last edited:

legendcampos

Level 6
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
I installed the latest eset smart security and I have doubts

Am accustomed to using windows firewall no alerts or minimum. Now with eset has been intrusive not taste and nor always am on the computer, I have kids and alerts may appear to them and may accidentally block, so I must leave in mode learning the HIPS and firewall?

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
I installed the latest eset smart security and I have doubts

Am accustomed to using windows firewall no alerts or minimum. Now with eset has been intrusive not taste and nor always am on the computer, I have kids and alerts may appear to them and may accidentally block, so I must leave in mode learning the HIPS and firewall?

If you are not using shared printers or anything like that, you can simple set Firewall Zone to "Public zone" and firewall mode to "Automatic with rules" AKA default. You want to set HIPS to Smart mode or Automatic mode. Going further than this isn't neccesary for regular use of internet.

Ali80

Level 5
Verified
Nov 13, 2014
ESET is good enough with default settings. Only set firewall to INTERACTIVE and it's good, especially when something OUTGOING happening. You will have better control. Don't play with HIPS to much, make your life easier. Also as ESET by default notify you about Windows Updates you can disable Windows Updates and do it manually when ESET notify you...You can save some resources. You can also consider to disable File Sending under ESET LIVE GRID for better privacy

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
I've got the same issue. I feel like it's lacking as I used to have PURE 3.0 w/ Safe Money, etc (but the performance was awful). Is there anything to compliment in essence the missing features. I don't doubt ESET's protection too much (ESS8), although I noticed it leaves port 25 open, despite Outlook being closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.