Battle Eset NOD32 vs Kaspersky Free

kowalski215

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 16, 2015
Hi everyone.
I've always been using Eset Nod32 for my MAIN system protection (Adguard, Sticky Password, Hitman pro and other software lying on his side); now my license has expired and I was wondering whether it makes sense to switch to Kaspersky Free (or even KIS if okay)
What I do care most:
1. System Performance (I've found KIS to be really heavy on my machines, but haven't tried recently and the free version).
2. Detection Rate (also user-depending).

What I do NOT care:
3. Feature fatigue - really. I'm not fond of tons-of-features antivirus. Just a light protection with good detection. No frills.
4. UI.

Last but not least: Please avoid recommending BitDefender Free - I've hated it in the past and still hate it for a variety of reason not worth explaining ;)
Other pieces of software are all welcomed.

Thanks in advance for your help
chhers

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
kaspersky free doesn't have a behavior blocker (aka system watcher). just protected with signatures and cloud. That's could be a risk without more layers of protection. :confused:

Voodooshield or comodo fw is required ! or take a look at the malwarehub....there is a combo with kaspersky free and Zemana (+ realtime and pandora cloud).(y)

But Eset Nod32 is with tweaks a very good program...one of the best. so if you wanna save money, then try your new config

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
Last edited:

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Is there a reason that you want to switch from ESET to Kaspersky in the first place? From my experience ESET is the lightest AV you can get with a very good set of signatures. There should be no reason to change from ESET unless you are getting slow downs or it's detection rate is disappointing you.

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Guess I'm in the minority, on this one..... (although the poll says otherwise)
Stick with ESET. Have used them all, including KFA, Kaspersky Cloud, KTS..... Have always come back to ESET. Don't get me wrong, I love KTS, and Kaspersky in general. However, I find ESET to just perform better.
If it ain't broke.......;)

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
No, absolutely not. I would not recommend anyone to leave the comfort zone ESET offers you to replace it with some basic software like Kaspersky Free Edition is.

To start with, I'd recommend against switching Antivirus if the actual one suits you. If you're in for changing it, I'd stay away from Kaspersky Free and Bitdefender Free, unless you are up to pair them with some couple of extra software. This two last antivirus programs lack the modules and personalization the paid versions have, and what make them such good options. In order to make Kaspersky Free worth, I would pair it up with extra software, like VoodooShield and CFW. And even there you'd have to configure them for extra lock down to replace KIS system watcher, application control and behavior blocker. I'd stick with ESET.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I'd recommend against switching Antivirus if the actual one suits you.
A big truth in that phrase.
I will also recommend to stick with Eset if you don't have a problem spending some money to buy a new license.
Ask some members here in MT how to tweak it and your protection level will be much improved.
For your information i am trying Webroot for a week and i have to say that Eset AV was as light as Webroot.;)

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
I think Kasper Sky Cloud>Eset cloud(live Gird)
But there are some little secrets and advantages about live Gird:
If LG thinks a file is suspicious then it will send it to the Eset labs and in less than 2 hours Eset will detect the file(if it malicious).
Also, you can simply right-click the file and check for the reputation so the Live GIRD can show you the safety level of file(safe, unknowns, risky(this one is new and I saw it can show the risk status for a file which Eset failed to detect and I could run it)
If you use the Eset in this way it can detect almost everything:D
Eset AV has HIPS, AMSI, and some memory protection while these detections methods do not exist in the Kasper sky free!
No - Absolutely not

Last edited:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
As a former ESET user, I can tell you that latest few versions of ESET are not what ESET used to be nor known for.
On the same token, Kaspersky has improved a lot over the years. I now run KAV 18 happily and it is light enough (would be lighter if i was on SSD). I tried KIS and didn't like it simply because it gave me some headaches when it came to patching game clients. KAV on the other hand works totally fine and offers enough protection.

Kaspersky free retains some of the KAV lightness but you do not have the complete package. You can still use it without a problem, although if going free route and you are on Windows 10, Windows Firewall + Windows Defender is good enough.

Thats my opinion, however you need to use it yourself for at least 30 days to see if you like it or not. Also, I do not run over protected configurations, but that is because I am an advanced user.

kowalski215

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 16, 2015
Is there a reason that you want to switch from ESET to Kaspersky in the first place? From my experience ESET is the lightest AV you can get with a very good set of signatures. There should be no reason to change from ESET unless you are getting slow downs or it's detection rate is disappointing you.

My reply is to Hanmin147's post but can be intended also for other users' ones. Well, the point is I'm not forced to switch, but I wondered if it was actually ok to pay for a license of eset when you can switch to Free software like KFA + adding some extra layers of protection.
I've always been satisfied with eset and yes, I usually follow the philosophy "If it ain't broken, do not fix it", but giving a try to other software when a license expires seemed a good option to me.
Actually, I've chosen Kaspersky and not other software since i've been using KIS in the past and I was actually ok with it (before bumping into eset). I personally do not like any other free software, like avast, avg, bitdefender and qihoo. Tried them and uninstalled them. KFA was kind of a "novelty" in this sense. A good antivirus producer (as I knew it) that delivered a free solution.

Anyway, given the strong answers received I think I'll give KFA+CFW and compare it to ESET (just to try). But I'm definetely convinced about eset quality.

Sorry for typos ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.