Hot Take ESET now detects Avast/AVG Secure Browser installer as PUA

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
ESET is now detecting Avast/AVG Secure Browser installer as a potentially unwanted application (PUA). This is somewhat surprising to me, as Avast and AVG are both well-known and "reputable" security companies. The detection name is Win32/Avast.AVGSecureBrowser.A, which seems to have been added a few days or weeks ago. Now this detection is among the daily top threats in the world, according to ESET Virus Radar.

Any thoughts on this? Does Avast/AVG Secure Browser exhibit unwanted or PUA-like behaviors that warrant this detection?

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Avast or AVG does not install browser within their installers, you have to manually download browser if you want to use it.
AVG banking protection only works with AVG browser, so one that wants to have such protection needs to install it

Personally i think AVG/AVAST browsers arent pua/pup catecory as they dont install anything else than browser with their installer

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
ESET is known for "aggressive" detection regarding PUP/PUA. Nothing to worry about if you ask me 🤷‍♂️ Most forum people should be aware about that.
Avast just want to advertise their browser it's same practice like we saw in cases when certain software trying to install other browsers like Chrome, I recall even Avast installer did that in the past or may still does it...

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
ESET also added PUA detection for Microsoft's Bing Wallpaper, so they are a vendor who are very aggressive regarding PUA and not afraid to add detection for even popular products. I guess this detection fall under PUA which ESET users need to enable manually meaning ESET don't detect it by default.
I installed Avast Free in a VM yesterday and the installation of Avast Secure Browser was ticked by default. Probably that's the main reason they have added the detection. Many Avast users would end up having Avast Secure Browser installed unintentionally if they don't pay close attention, which can be considered a PUA behavior from Avast.

Abdel-Rezak

Level 1
Verified
Dec 2, 2018
Yes, Avast and AVG Secure Bowsers are unwanted programs (PUP) because they slow down computer. I have installed Avast Secure Browser Pro(I got a giveaway key) last year and my P.C become very very slow. When I have uninstalled Avast Secure Browser my P.C return to a fast state ! I don't like programs that slow down me.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
ESET also added PUA detection for Microsoft's Bing Wallpaper, so they are a vendor who are very aggressive regarding PUA and not afraid to add detection for even popular products. I guess this detection fall under PUA which ESET users need to enable manually meaning ESET don't detect it by default.
I installed Avast Free in a VM yesterday and the installation of Avast Secure Browser was ticked by default. Probably that's the main reason they have added the detection. Many Avast users would end up having Avast Secure Browser installed unintentionally if they don't pay close attention, which can be considered a PUA behavior from Avast.
That makes sense.

And it seems to fit their criteria
Grayware or Potentially Unwanted Application (PUA) is a broad category of software, whose intent is not as unequivocally malicious as with other types of malware, such as viruses or trojan horses. It may however install additional unwanted software, change the behavior of the digital device, or perform activities not approved or expected by the user.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
ESET is known for "aggressive" detection regarding PUP/PUA. Nothing to worry about if you ask me 🤷‍♂️ Most forum people should be aware about that.
Avast just want to advertise their browser it's same practice like we saw in cases when certain software trying to install other browsers like Chrome, I recall even Avast installer did that in the past or may still does it...

Pretty much that, it is clearly not a false positive, the detection name makes it that obvious (Win32/Avast.AVGSecureBrowser.A).

Meanwhile, I agree with the detection, it is a PUP/PUA.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.