Battle Eset Premium vs F-Secure Max vs MS Defender + Deep Instinct vs Kaspersky Standard

Which solution for a gamer wanting ultimate protection?

• ESET Premium Security

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • F-Secure

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • Microsoft Defender + Deep Instinct

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Kaspersky Standard

Votes: 37 56.9%

• Total voters
Compare list
Eset premium
F-Secure Max
MS Defender + DI on win 11 pro
Kaspersky Max (don't care about VPN)
Platform(s)
  1. Microsoft Windows

cartaphilus

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 17, 2023
It's a gaming PC but I don't mind doing exclusions for files if need be as long as the solution is light and minimally interferes with the performance once exclusions are made.

Meanwhile I also want to be perfectly protected and not compromise security for a loss of let say 5% of performance.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Deep Instinct without Microsoft Defender isn't an option?
OP wants Ultimate protection, scroll down to see comparison table.

"Deep Instinct's prevention-first approach to stopping unknown threats and ransomware, combined with Microsoft Defender’s investigation, forensics, and incident response capabilities, deliver a more complete solution for protecting endpoints against modern cyber threats."

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
OP wants Ultimate protection, scroll down to see comparison table.

not sure, but I think that link is referring to MS Defender Business / Enterprise + DeepInstinct. But you can keep MS Defender (home) as primary AV and also run DeepIn, IIRC, not sure if that creates a slowdown, or register DeepIn and turn off Defender, but other defenses like SmartScreen continue to work.

Last edited:

cartaphilus

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 17, 2023
not sure, but I think that link is referring to MS Defender Business / Enterprise + DeepInstinct. But you can keep MS Defender (home) as primary AV and also run DeepIn, IIRC, not sure if that creates a slowdown, or register DeepIn and turn off Defender, but other defenses like SmartScreen continue to work.
No perceived slowdown on my 2018 old laptop running m3. I am coming off F-Secure but then again that lappy does virtually nothing. The hardest thing it has is 15 browser window tabs in chrome.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Kaspersky free for the win
standard vs. free: they look the same to me. Added features in the standard are not worth it

Xeno1234

Level 14
Jun 12, 2023
Kaspersky free for the win
standard vs. free: they look the same to me. Added features in the standard are not worth it

For advanced users you do get HIPS/Application Control. which when configured provides a unmatched level of security.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If it was, it was not noted. There’s nothing to suggest they were referring to any endpoint solutions when comparing themselves to Microsoft Defender and Traditional AV solutions.

Screenshot 2023-07-17 at 10.08.53.png

No perceived slowdown on my 2018 old laptop running m3. I am coming off F-Secure but then again that lappy does virtually nothing. The hardest thing it has is 15 browser window tabs in chrome.
You’ve answered your own question here, a laptop that does nothing does not need extravagant security.

A modern OS (updated) and browser with the right set of extensions can block most threats from ever reaching your PC. For example; Chrome has SafeBrowsing + uBlock Origin OR Adguard Adblocker, and optionally Malwarebytes Browser Extension OR Bitdefender TrafficLight.

I recommend looking at the Free AV product options:

If the user is purposely interacting with unknown and unsafe sites and files, then of course, buy a product that can isolate threats before harming the system. Don’t use to a system like this for online banking, shopping, social media or anything where your ID and data can be stolen.

An unpopular take: Avoid Avast, AVG, Avira, and Norton.

cartaphilus

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 17, 2023
If it was, it was not noted. There’s nothing to suggest they were referring to any endpoint solutions when comparing themselves to Microsoft Defender and Traditional AV solutions.

View attachment 277246

You’ve answered your own question here, a laptop that does nothing does not need extravagant security.

A modern OS (updated) and browser with the right set of extensions can block most threats from ever reaching your PC. For example; Chrome has SafeBrowsing + uBlock Origin OR Adguard Adblocker, and optionally Malwarebytes Browser Extension OR Bitdefender TrafficLight.

I recommend looking at the Free AV product options:

If the user is purposely interacting with unknown and unsafe sites and files, then of course, buy a product that can isolate threats before harming the system. Don’t use to a system like this for online banking, shopping, social media or anything where your ID and data can be stolen.

An unpopular take: Avoid Avast, AVG, Avira, and Norton.
Yeah that's the gist. On my work environment I have what's above but on my gaming PC I am currently running ESet premium. But I am wondering if something better exists? The old: maybe grass is greener over there?!

The gaming PC participates in more risky events like downloading mods and now game trainers. I don't cheat in online games since I don't have time to play them (two toddlers) but I love strategy games and now with toddlers I really don't have time to wait 1 hour in order to gather enough resources in order to build my base. I just want to vent my daily frustration on some serious epic whoopass. I used to use memory inspector and modifier but now more and more games are obfuscated so trainers are required.

For example I love civilization and total war franchise but as anyone knows anything about playing civilization it's: "ok just one more move.... 5 hours later..".

Reactions: Zero Knowledge

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Are you downloading Mods from a trusted marketplace? Do you check the files before installing?

Marketing and hype make it look greener, but the only method I know that works for each individual is to run a 30 day trial version.

Last edited:

cartaphilus

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 17, 2023
Are you downloading Mods from a trusted marketplace? Do you check the files before installing?

Marketing and hype look greener, but the only method I know that works for each individual is to run a 30 day trial version.
Yeah I might go the image - 30 day trial - re-image route.

Yeah I use cursed to download mods or Kerbal space Program official forum but even then there have been some malware issues with cursed.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
I voted for Kaspersky Standard.
I currently have AVG IS.
When my licence runs out (April 2024) there will be something from Kaspersky.

Reactions: Nevi

Xeno1234

Level 14
Jun 12, 2023
In my personal opinion, Kaspersky on its own provides unmatched protection against malware, with no other AV really being able to compare against evasive threats. With application control, its basically impossible to get infected.

Marketing and hype make it look greener, but the only method I know that works for each individual is to run a 30 day trial version.
If your asking me about modding, majority of the time the mods have hundreds of thousands of downloads (if not millions, tens of millions, or even into the hundred million range). Any malicious ones are either account stealing software, or could be something else like Fractuereiser (if you know what that is)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
For advanced users you do get HIPS/Application Control. which when configured provides a unmatched level of security.
true. but I found application control restricted my daily activities and I also slowed down my ancient laptop more than without. It took time to identify what caused the issue by unrestricting files, one by one
now, I don't install anymore app so app. control is not a must to me

back to the basic

Xeno1234

Level 14
Jun 12, 2023
true. but I found application control restricted my daily activities and I also slowed down my ancient laptop more than without. It took time to identify what caused the issue by unrestricting files, one by one
now, I don't install anymore app so app. control is not a must to me

back to the basic
Buy default it really shouldnt do anything unless you modify it.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Buy default it really shouldnt do anything unless you modify it.
by default, it does almost nothing compared to not using it. I've rarely seen it properly working
after years, the only thing it did, on my laptop, was changing specific files to "Low restricted" group. low restricted was almost like no restrction and malwares could still infect the PC

highly restricted/untrusted files are usually blocked by the AV.
as a regular user, I don't feel app. control useful

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.