App Review ESET Review 2024: Tested in depth vs Malware (TPSC)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
The PC Security Channel

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
I don't know if that's an excuse if that's the way the product works. :unsure:
I agree with that. I don't see a need to make any excuses. Their product did well when tested with out-of-a-box configuration, so why would they have to make excuses when tester turned off products protection before making additional test?

Last edited:

kailyn

Level 2
Jun 6, 2024

giphy.gif

Trident

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I agree with that. I don't see a need to make any excuses. Their product did well when tested with out-of-a-box configuration, so why would they have to make excuses when tester turned off products protection before making additional test?
And how else is he supposed to test solely the behavioural blocker? His platform generates exe files that are low reputation and get deleted instantly.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Malx ruins my day

All in all, we bombarded ESET with 2,000+ malware files, disabled real-time protection, and tested HIPS in automatic mode (the weakest configuration of HIPS).

Anybody who thinks ESET is useless because of the result deserves to be a Leo's suscriber.

oldschool

Level 83
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
All in all, we bombarded ESET with 2,000+ malware files, disabled real-time protection, and tested HIPS in automatic mode (the weakest configuration of HIPS).
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
configured correctly by a System administrator for a business environment (or a propeller head home user here on this forum)
Also give props to propeller heads around the world! :LOL: (y)(y)

CyberDevil

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
So why Eset is allowing turning off individual components if this is the case? It is Eset’s responsibility to implement a proper poke-yoke to ensure that customers and users don’t enter erroneous states where components work half-way as expected.
For example, you have a lot of HIPS rules for system security configured manually or in learning mode, but you need to install something to bypass real-time protection without disabling the security of HIPS-protected resources. Being able to flexibly use components doesn't mean that components should be completely independent and autonomous, especially I don't support when a product decides for me how I want to do things, that's probably one of the things why I like Eset. Also casual user is unlikely to go disabling components for fun.

rashmi

Level 7
Jan 15, 2024
ESET is a product that relies mainly on signatures and lacks proper proactive security. ESET's proactive feature, called HIPS, is useless without an approved program list. On the other hand, Kaspersky and Bitdefender have complex but smart and effective proactive technologies that I find impressive. On the whole, ESET is just an average product, particularly when used in its recommended or default configuration.

Last edited:

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
And how else is he supposed to test solely the behavioural blocker? His platform generates exe files that are low reputation and get deleted instantly.
He should contact vendor and ask them how their software should be configured to test that component only. If such configuration is not possible then performing that test is pointless.

kailyn

Level 2
Jun 6, 2024
ESET has HIPS. The HIPS is extremely powerful in the right hands. The problem is to take advantage of that powerful HIPS the user needs to have commensurate skills, knowledge and - the most important - attitude. If you are that class of person then you chuckle when you see these kinds of threads.

Reactions: Nevi

Trident

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
ESET has HIPS. The HIPS is extremely powerful in the right hands. The problem is to take advantage of that powerful HIPS the user needs to have commensurate skills, knowledge and - the most important - attitude. If you are that class of person then you chuckle when you see these kinds of threads.
Nobody cares about HIPS this day and age because there is very little evidence that other modules are failing and unable to do their job.
Automatically collecting malware and pushing machine-generated signatures has been working for Eset for the past 10 years + and will continue to work for the next 10 years as well.

The test here is intended for a special and more curious audience that wants to know how well the behavioural blocking is doing.
For the faint hearted and average Joes, there is AV-Test.org

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.