Eset Smart Security 7 Beta

Have you tried ESET Smart Security 7 Beta?

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Only in a Virtual Machine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonX

Level 9
Thread author
Apr 13, 2012
I just installed Eset Smart Security 7 Beta and I'd like to share a sort of a follow-up or supplement to my previous old post when I tried out ESS ver5 and have encountered issues specifically:

1) Ping fail

HERE

2) I can't stop a application from launching a browser triggered from the applications GUI.

HERE

The first I noticed that the ping fail was gone. Personal firewall setting was at at default "Interactive Mode". Both tested on a dial-up connection and a mobile dsl connection.

Please see comparison:

2nlsdon.png

2hh0j5z.png

IDS setting ESS ver5
vxa6oQ5.png

IDS setting ESS 7 Beta
Mi9u6qO.png

On the blocking a browser launch, I used the same applications as that of my previous test which was CCleaner and KMplayer. In the previous test I did with ESS ver5 it took me quite a while because at start ESS was in trouble blocking any browser launch through it's HIPS. Tried in "Learning mode" and "Interactive Mode".

Now in ESS 7 Beta "Interactive Mode" the HIPS reminded me of Comodo ver4 and Online Armor Premium 4. Noisy HIPS nearly blocked anything I tried to launch and for a moment seemed not to memorize what I allow/deny. Something that I remember was not when I tried ESS ver5. But to my surprise it successfully blocked any launch of a browser from the gui of CCleaner as seen in the logs.

JWQ4toF.png

74d3UBu.png

KU1L746.png

For KMplayer though a browser was not launched there was no entry in the logs that the HIPS has blocked it. When I tried to click a link in KMplayer an error showed --- "Acess violation at address xxx etc etc". No browser was launched.

With ESS 7 Beta block rule is:

Name: User rule: Block KMPLayer start browsers
Action : Block

Source applications:
C:\Program Files\The KMPlayer\KMPlayer.exe

Target applications (Start new application):
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Opera\opera.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\SRWare Iron\iron.exe
C:\Program Files\Comodo\Dragon\dragon.exe
C:\Program Files\Comodo\IceDragon\icedragon.exe
C:\Users\Jason Xxxxx\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\Program Files\zBrowser Portables\*.*

Observation:
- ESS 7 Beta Interactive mode with block rule >Acess violation error (no browser launch)
- ESS 7 Beta Learning mode with block rule (no pop-up) (no browser launch)

7hVB0CK.png

With Learning mode there was no pop-up but there was no browser launch. That maybe because of the block rule placed. With Interactive Mode there are a lot of pop-ups but I will settle for "Interactive Mode" for a while, save the config, and then try the either Automatic mode with rules or Policy-based mode.

So it seems that there is an improvement in ESS on my side and perhaps in the test I made on the specific issues I encountered during my test of ESS ver5. Now I am interested in ESS 7 Beta.

A couple of questions on ESS settings if I may,

I always do manual Windows Updates. Based on experience of getting the system borked after quite a number of fluke Windows updates I now do wait a while before updating and select what I want to update. My settings on Windows Update is "Never", if I wanted to set a rule for Windows Updates to be blocked in ESS firewall how can I do that there?

Never did have to do that using Outpost / Comodo / Online Armor but just for the sake of learning how can I do that in ESS..?

What is Device Control in Advanced setup>Device Control..?

What maybe the best setting for the IDS and advanced options..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.