2) EMSISOFT Antimalware 8

Thank you!!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
At the beginning of time, it was used to help the user decide which 2 products they were contemplating on using, having tested them before, but could not make a final decision. But now I'm not so sure, there's always the same outcome for each case;
- I chose Product A because it's my favourite.
- I chose Product X because it has higher detection rates.
- The OP disappears (not all, but most).
Example from 2011:
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Emsisoft-Anti-Malware-6-vs-ESET-Smart-Security-5

You could say, you want to buy games console so you compare Xbox One vs PS4, you get the outcome, and then decide you want to compare X1 vs Wii U (or PS4 vs Wii U). There's really no point, am I wrong? If you've picked the 2 common consoles, there's no need to invite another, because they didn't make it in the first round.

It would be really nice to vote for a reason, not just based on our personal preferences. Knowing about the PC user, or system specs, could help make it more interesting, rather than picking what's more popular.

Thanks. :D

MikeV

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
Earth said:
It would be really nice to vote for a reason, not just based on our personal preferences. Knowing about the PC user, or system specs, could help make it more interesting, rather than picking what's more popular.

Thanks. :D

Ok, so i use windows 7, 32bit , 3GB ram intel i7 2,8Ghz
Both programs work fine with my system
I also know that the best antivirus in the world is my brain and my mouse.
All i need to know is (because these 2 programs have excellent detection/prevention) IF you had to choose between these 2 which one you would choose and why....

Thank you

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Sorry for Bumping but these polls keep showing up on the Homepage.

Mike,to compare ESS 7 to EAM isn't really going to help because ESS 7 has a firewall & EAM 8 doesn't.

The better poll would be ESS 7 or EIS 8 (Emsisoft Internet Security Pack) EIS Comes bundled with Emsisoft Anti-Malware & Online Armor Firewall.

If I had to choose since your running Windows 7 then it would be EIS 8,if you were running Windows 8/8.1 then I would go with ESS 7

D

Deleted member 178

main issue of EIS, boot and access time even if they really improved it lately; believe me im expert on Emsisoft ^^

i used ESS v6 for a while and my main concern was the HIPS, the rest was almost perfect; now i will try ESS v7 , hoping the hips is mature now.

both are very good at their job, EIS slightly better for overall protection but ESS is lighter.

now all is about what you look for ,depending of how you use your computer and what you are ready to sacrifice.

Emy12

Level 1
Dec 22, 2011
As far as I am concern, definitely choose the Emsisoft, my i5 2450/8Gb DRam handles it very well, boot time it's OK.
ESET ? 3-4 years back i used to be interested in, the main reason is that i can not get as cheap as Emsisoft for 9 euro/year.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
  1. It's irregular question, ESET Smart Security should be compared with Emsisoft Internet Security Pack
  2. In some of my tests detection rates between ESET and Emsisoft is ~2% in favor of Emsisoft (so, there's almost no difference). For me, if any product can catch >90% of malware in zero day malware packs provided here or there, it's an excellent product.
  3. And at the end, it only depends what are your habits and how much experienced you are. I always choose performance, clean and uncluttered system, so from my point of view, user with common sense and some browser protection (like TrafficLight, or Avast Online Security,WOT and Adblock) should be protected "only" with Windows Defender, Windows SmartScreen, User Account Control and Windows Firewall, of course if you are using Windows 8/8.1.
Of course, there's no point of putting an security product ,that's awesome in detection but asking what to do for almost any unknown file, in hands of my grandma. :D

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
Both programs are good it depends on who has what hardware I am currently using ESET 7 of his time he Emsisoft and I was both happy but the best protection is common sense to use the Internet.:D

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
main issue of EIS, boot and access time even if they really improved it lately; believe me im expert on Emsisoft ^^

i used ESS v6 for a while and my main concern was the HIPS, the rest was almost perfect; now i will try ESS v7 , hoping the hips is mature now.

both are very good at their job, EIS slightly better for overall protection but ESS is lighter.

now all is about what you look for ,depending of how you use your computer and what you are ready to sacrifice.

Both programs are good it depends on who has what hardware I am currently using ESET 7 of his time he Emsisoft and I was both happy but the best protection is common sense to use the Internet.:D

This is why trying different Security Software and different Security configurations are so important.Polls are great for getting different opinions but the only way you will no for sure is trying on your system under your security requirements.

I

illumination

Agree with the others, it should be suite vs suite... All in all though, it would really not matter, both are good in their own ways, really it depends on your uses.

Neiltullio

Level 2
Verified
Dec 25, 2013
Emsisoft uses BitDefender engine now and in the past this vendor used Ikarus engine.
They had and still have a lot of FPs and they are used to redirect it to the real engine vendor.

ESET uses their own engine, IMO they react much faster on threats and they have much better PUP detection.

Firewall is not so important from my POV, so answer is : ESET

Reactions: BoraMurdar
D

Deleted member 178

Emsisoft uses BitDefender engine now and in the past this vendor used Ikarus engine.

and their own

They had and still have a lot of FPs and they are used to redirect it to the real engine vendor.

because of Ikarus engine, so with BD engine this fact is not true anymore

ESET uses their own engine, IMO they react much faster on threats and they have much better PUP detection.

owning or not an engine is not impacting the reactiveness of the AV; Emsisoft also has a PUP detection feature

Firewall is not so important from my POV

it is very important , since if you are infected by a malware not detected by your AV , if it tries to call home , the FW will block it (if you set it properly)

Neiltullio

Level 2
Verified
Dec 25, 2013
I would say own Emsisoft detection is more like urban legend than important part of this software ;)
Maybe it exists, but it just does not really influence the product.

with BD engine this fact is not true anymore
It is. Bitdefender FP more often than ESET, and these FPs are sent to BitDefender, Emsi doesn't really care abou it. Please check their forum.

owning or not an engine is not impacting the reactiveness of the AV; Emsisoft also has a PUP detection feature
Yes it is. Emsi has to wait for BitDefender or may make own detection using their own engine.. but I don't see it on VirusTotal.
I don't say Emsi doesn't have PUP detection, but ESET detection is IMHO much better.

According to FW:
it is very important , since if you are infected by a malware not detected by your AV , if it tries to call home , the FW will block it (if you set it properly)
You are right of course.. but I'm not going to be infected ;)

D

Deleted member 178

im closed-beta tester for Emsisoft , i think i know a litttlebit about their products ^^

Emsisoft engine is far from being useless, sure it is not the "spearhead" of the product but still useful

i also tested lot of malwares on both ESET & Emsisoft, and ESET is behind , not far but still.

Emsisoft is linked to the same server than BD for signature, when BD released a signature , all softwares that depend on it are updated as well; now if you want to say BD released signatures slower than ESET , it is possible but not a fact. When an new malware is found most vendors reacts quite fast so the negative effects are not really measurable

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.