Battle ESET Smart Security vs Webroot SA Antivirus

uxbal

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 10, 2016
Hi,

So, Webroot vs ESET.

I like that Webroot is light, however, I'm concerned they don't to that well in a lot of testing.
I like ESET SS because it seems to be an affordable and comprehensive protection.
I also like both offer firewall.

Which would you choose?

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Eset does better in MT hub. And it can be even better if you tweak it. Most people here will say the same.

A bit out of topic but relevant:
You reminded me my one and only malware infection in a lot of years, It was about 3 years ago, and I used simultaneously Eset Smart Security (defaults) and Webroot SA antivirus when visited a shady website via Chrome which had a nasty exploit. It caused eset to crash, many windows services were disabled and other bad things I don't remember. Webroot also detected nothing but it was kept up and running. I also did format the disk, reinstalled Windows, Windows updates amd the two security programs, and revisited the same website to make sure. Interesting infection!

Reactions: Logethica

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Yeah I apologize I wasn't too articulate yesterday (was tired as heck).

Yes that is what I meant by getting infected and the roll back feature. Sure, you can roll back the infection and the damage done (hopefully/maybe). However, what happens between the time you are infected and it's discovered? Does WSA protects your information then? What if the data leaks out of the system? I mean the WSA used to have a nice firewall but that got abandoned when Windows 8 came out. So the whole "will stop data leak" thing is currently a lie, if you are using Windows 8 or above.

Also, I've been having some issues with WSA key encryption working when a browser is inside Sandboxie. It works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Haven't had that issue with HMPA yet.

in ideal world for WSA, in case of infection depending on what is it, it will rollback but during the infection and rollback, you are unfortunately at the mercy of the infection.

This is why I prefer HIPS way, but I used to run Policy Based mode only.

If I want a rollback, Kaspersky has what you looking for...

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Just going through the Malware Hub tests here alone proves ESET superiority over Webroot :)
Will have to disagree.

Average user will be fine with both. Hub tests do not translate to Real World scenarios. Its just the prevention part for identifying the infection, not the actual protection etc. This applies to any AVs for that matter.

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Yeah, MT testing only touches the surface. In real world, those files are not downloaded and extracted from password protected archive :) So it leaves one of the most important things - Web scanner - out of the picture.

I don't want to be super defensive about Webroot, but from most of the SUD picture, I can only see that I was the very first person in Webroot network to come across such file. So it's definitely 0-day for Webroot.

Sometimes they classify files in mere minutes after they are executed. See "Update - After test".
https://malwaretips.com/threads/16-09-2016-8.63473/#post-543759

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.