App Review Eset vs Fantom Ransomware

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Thanks a lot for this @cruelsister. Back to Panda Free for me then:). Seriously though, how would VoodooShield or the new Zemana Antilogger 2.21, combining both paid ZAM and ZAL, have fared against Fantom? Zemana claim an 'independent' report by MRG Effitas rated ZAM Premium the best antiransomware program compared with a selection of rival products, but it was a report that Zemana paid for. It read more like a press release than a truly independent report.

And what's the promising beta you mentioned?

Last edited:

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Welcome back @cruelsister (even it seems to be only for a short time?) :) You have been missed! Great vid as always, pretty shocking that ESET couldn't stop it? Ok, I don't know much about it, never tried it out, but it's HIPS should be good, haven't yet read anything negative about ESET at all?

Thank you for sharing!

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Welcome back @cruelsister (even it seems to be only for a short time?) :) You have been missed! Great vid as always, pretty shocking that ESET couldn't stop it? Ok, I don't know much about it, never tried it out, but it's HIPS should be good, haven't yet read anything negative about ESET at all?

Thank you for sharing!
If HIPS was set on default, then I think the HIPS is less than capable of protection.
I think the default HIPS setting is on Automatic mode, rather than the more reliable Smart mode.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015

Thank you for sharing!
Any Sig based AV is only as good as the Sig's its based on, so till it's added an AV is powerless, when I realized this is when I started investigating in signature-less protection and it's implications.
I feel much better having moved on, and the lightness of my system is a big added bonus.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Thanks for the great video @cruelsister !

It again & again shows that to people, 'default allow' must die! How 'default allow' miserable!
People are still paying for those AVs even they saw such videos. Don't be shock ;)
lol good point, but I am no longer one of those "sheeple" no offense Eletric sheep :p

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
According to Virus Total on the video at around 1:18 Kaspersky detects it.

So does Panda. I know this is only one example but I'm seriously thinking of ditching Eset and moving back to Panda Free along with, say, MBAE and what I'm currently using, ZAL 2.21 and VoodooShield.

Does anyone know if Zemana would have caught it? I'm guessing VoodooShield would have detected it because there were plenty of engines on Virus Total that did, plus I would have thought VoodooShield's own algorithms. Any thoughts appreciated.

Edit: One thing that may be worth considering is, as good as these videos are, @cruelsister has stated elsewhere on MalwareTips that she doesn't like Eset. Whether she has specifically made efforts to test Eset more than other products in the hope of catching it out in order to confirm this opinion, I have no idea. Just a thought.

Last edited:

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
According to Virus Total on the video at around 1:18 Kaspersky detects it.

So does Panda. I know this is only one example but I'm seriously thinking of ditching Eset and moving back to Panda Free along with, say, MBAE and what I'm currently using, ZAL 2.21 and VoodooShield.

Does anyone know if Zemana would have caught it? I'm guessing VoodooShield would have detected it because there were plenty of engines on Virus Total that did, plus I would have thought VoodooShield's own algorithms. Any thoughts appreciated.

Edit: One thing that may be worth considering is, as good as these videos are, @cruelsister has stated elsewhere on MalwareTips that she doesn't like Eset. Whether she has specifically made efforts to test Eset more than other products in the hope of catching it out in order to confirm this opinion, I have no idea. Just a thought.
Is there anywhere I can get this sample from and I'll test it right now against any security software you like?

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
If HIPS was set on default, then I think the HIPS is less than capable of protection.
I think the default HIPS setting is on Automatic mode, rather than the more reliable Smart mode.
Hello
@XhenEd , I'm currently testing ESET EIS 10 and default HIPS is Smart mode.
ESET HIPS Smart mode.PNG
What is the difference between Automatic mode and Smart mode ?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.