Battle Eset vs Norton [Antivirus]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chippel

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
Well, I've tested ESET on my VM-Ware and it did well so far but I heard that its hips is not that great. On the other side I've not tested Norton.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Chippel said:
Well, I've tested ESET on my VM-Ware and it did well so far but I heard that its hips is not that great. On the other side I've not tested Norton.

I would suggest your first step would be to go here
http://malwaretips.com/Announcement-Compilation-of-current-reviews

or search here http://malwaretips.com/Forum-Your-Review

Then thoroughly read the reviews and familiarize yourself with their settings,the different kinds of protection they provide,resource usage,ease of use and protection on default settings and then decide which one you would like to try.Look at some other reviews of products both paid and free as there are many good choices besides limiting yourself to just Norton or ESET.

Then get a trial and run it on your system for the trial period not just VMware.Then try another one for a trial period and see what you think. Relying on what other people say or you have heard them say isnt going to help you understand why they are saying it.I think if you read some reviews here and educate yourself on HIPS you will be confident when making a decision,your own decision, of what to use based on your needs and your systems capabilities

Frankly all you are really going to get out of this thread is everyones personal opinions which might just make your decision even harder and more confusing.

*There are many knowledgeable members here who have no problem helping you out so you can always ask questions

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Personal comes down to personal preference again. Some might love the way ESET works with it's HIPS and others might like how Norton has the File Insight. Also like Exterminator said check out the links and read/watch them and find out. ;)

Chippel

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
I just wanted to know if anybody tested these two Anti Virus programs. I don't have the time to test both over a longer period of time now. That's the reason I've asked here for feedback ;)

It's the war room.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Added a Poll.

What OS are you using?

If you keep your Windows OS updated and secure with all relevant updates (ie. Office, Internet Explorer), minimise the surface of attack using less plugins in the browser (and/or sandboxed).

While I cannot compare both on Detection and Heuristics, I can compare other features of the products.

Both provide adequate levels of protection, and considering you can find legitimate Norton 6-months Licenses for free, I would chose Norton Antivirus with a few custom settings.

Norton has Smart Updates which protect the user from the relevant and recent threats, turning this option off will download the Full Virus Database. SONAR is Behaviour-based and although I haven't experienced much of SONAR, I heard it can catch the bad 'stuff' efficiently.

From what I've heard, ESET relies on HIPS for it's own self-protection but some of the HIPS Rules leave you exposed (as discussed by Overkill and Biozfear - I can't find the exact posts). ESET has very good Web and AV protection.

Norton installs a Toolbar for it's Identity Safe (Password Manager) and Safe Web (Website Advisor) for Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome. You can turn these Off in the program, but not from the installer from what I remember of NAV 2013.

Both products have Free Facebook protection, I'm currently using ESET Social Scanner.

P

Plexx

ESET relies on HIPS for zero day protection when Heuristics and Detection fall short.

Topics:
ESET HIPS (Main discussion): First 2 pages.

ESET HIPS Flaws: Starting from post 24

ESET Products (mainly applies to version 5, but nothing really changed on version 6 to update the guide in my opinion): Guide

Norton uses Sonar as one of the protection methods. It is a double edge sword however. Discussion here(note that ESET Discussion is also available on that post).

Detection and Heuristics: ESET > Norton.

Features: Norton > ESET

Prevention: Norton > ESET (questionable on both products as proven in above posts).

Lightness (CPU/I/O/RAM whilst on scanning): ESET > Norton

Removal: ESET > Norton (still both questionable to be honest)

Less issues on Windows 8: Norton > ESET

Additional videos not listed above:

ESET HIPS

Norton AV 2013

Both videos by me. ESET HIPS is on version 5 but nothing changed in that module at all in version 6 so it fully applies.

There you go. Topics have been discussed throughout the forums in War Room as well as reviews and other specific sections. Search feature is your best friend.

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Hello,

I have used both of them.

My vote goes to Norton, I am using it right now and before I thought it's detection rates sucked cause I had smart updates on. Now that I have disabled them. It's detection went up dramatically.

They are both quite low on system resources. The new version of ESET loads all it's signatures into RAM so it uses like 100MB and Norton on my system right now is using about 14MB or so.

They are both good when it comes to browsing speed. I didn't notice any slowdowns using either of them.

When it comes to heuristics I think that ESET's aren't the easiest to configure. Well for me they aren't. I am really liking Norton's SONAR.

You will be getting great protection with either of them, I just prefer Norton over ESET.

P

Plexx

Malware Man said:
Hello,

I have used both of them.

My vote goes to Norton, I am using it right now and before I thought it's detection rates sucked cause I had smart updates on. Now that I have disabled them. It's detection went up dramatically.

They are both quite low on system resources. The new version of ESET loads all it's signatures into RAM so it uses like 100MB and Norton on my system right now is using about 14MB or so.

They are both good when it comes to browsing speed. I didn't notice any slowdowns using either of them.

When it comes to heuristics I think that ESET's aren't the easiest to configure. Well for me they aren't. I am really liking Norton's SONAR.

You will be getting great protection with either of them, I just prefer Norton over ESET.

ESET since version 3 has loaded its signatures to RAM, not just version 6 (Famous version 2.7 also did but would hardly be a noticeable RAM usage due to being for x86).

ESET Heuristics has basically no configuration, which is located under the ThreatSense settings.

In ESET, the only thing that is not a walk in the park is manually configuring rules for HIPS module via Rules Editor.

Chippel

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
Okay well. Just wondering because Norton scored higher on AV-Test.org than ESET. So I thought the heuristic of Norton is much better.. :)

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Biozfear said:
ESET since version 3 has loaded its signatures to RAM, not just version 6 (Famous version 2.7 also did but would hardly be a noticeable RAM usage due to being for x86).

ESET Heuristics has basically no configuration, which is located under the ThreatSense settings.

In ESET, the only thing that is not a walk in the park is manually configuring rules for HIPS module via Rules Editor.
Hello,

I wasn't quite sure about ESET, I never really used it much. I remember it being quite light and I knew it loaded it's signatures into RAM. I'm fine with COMODO it's much easier to configure IMO and it's free :D

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Chippel said:
Okay well. Just wondering because Norton scored higher on AV-Test.org than ESET. So I thought the heuristic of Norton is much better.. :)

Hello,

When I went on av comparatives I didn't see Norton anywhere on it? Or are you talking about a different website. I think Symantec opt out on getting tested. I was really wondering about it's detection's rates.

Then again, I may just be not thinking and that could be a different website. :lolz:

P

Plexx

Malware Man said:
Hello,

I wasn't quite sure about ESET, I never really used it much. I remember it being quite light and I knew it loaded it's signatures into RAM. I'm fine with COMODO it's much easier to configure IMO and it's free :D

Research first before posting such information :)

As for COMODO being easier to configure, tho it is your opinion, COMODO customization in terms of settings is one of the most advanced ones. One simple mistake and you will not know what truck did it hit you.

ESET on the other hand does not need much customization and the terminology used is easy as opposed to COMODO.

Why do you think most of us here never recommend COMODO for a beginner user?

Chippel

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
Okay, I've tested both. Seems like Norton has a much better protection and heuristics (Sonar). Tested both several days now and nothing bypassed Norton but ESET.

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Biozfear said:
Malware Man said:
Hello,

Research first before posting such information :)

As for COMODO being easier to configure, tho it is your opinion, COMODO customization in terms of settings is one of the most advanced ones. One simple mistake and you will not know what truck did it hit you.

ESET on the other hand does not need much customization and the terminology used is easy as opposed to COMODO.

Why do you think most of us here never recommend COMODO for a beginner user?
Yeah, well I'm new here and I'm probably one of the youngest users on this site so I don't have that much experience but I do try my best.

Well when I first started using COMODO I was startled with all the settings and was so afraid of messing things up. COMODO taught me a lot about windows cause back in early versions it gave so many pop ups and I had to research about every process it was asking me to allow or block so I learned about windows processes, haha.

Now I'm so used to it that it's easy to configure. I guess where I'm used to it, it isn't that overwhelming anymore.

I wouldn't call myself a beginner, I would say I am in the intermediate category, defiantly not a advanced user. I am a good enough user to understand and tweak COMODO to my liking's if that counts for anything.

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Chippel said:
Okay, I've tested both. Seems like Norton has a much better protection and heuristics (Sonar). Tested both several days now and nothing bypassed Norton but ESET.

I feel like Norton has better detection with it's SONAR then ESET with it's HIPS. I wouldn't say that years back when Norton was just god awful. I'm sure we all had to deal with Norton back then. When we first got a family computer my mom decided to buy Norton antivirus 2005 or some other year and boy did it slow down the computer.

We all now have our own laptops. :)

D

Deleted member 178

Malware Man said:
I feel like Norton has better detection with it's SONAR then ESET with it's HIPS.

Sonar (behavior Blocker) & HIPS has nothing to do with detection but are prevention tools.

If you let ESET HIPS as default (automatic mode) it is like you urn off the HIPS, since everything unknown is allowed...

Also Norton Detection is lower than ESET if you let "Smart Definition" turned on.

You can check our Malware Hub , ESET always outperform Norton in detection.

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
Malware Man said:
I feel like Norton has better detection with it's SONAR then ESET with it's HIPS.

Sonar (behavior Blocker) & HIPS has nothing to do with detection but are prevention tools.

If you let ESET HIPS as default (automatic mode) it is like you urn off the HIPS, since everything unknown is allowed...

Also Norton Detection is lower than ESET if you let "Smart Definition" turned on.

You can check our Malware Hub , ESET always outperform Norton in detection.
Hello,

Sorry I didn't know SONAR was a behavior blocker, always thought it was some sort of HIPS, that's my bad. I had trouble trying to set up ESET's HIPS.

Yeah someone told me about smart definitions when I was shocked about how low Norton's detection rate was on a malware pack, then I turned it off and it downloaded a additional 200MB and the detection rate went way up.

I'm fine with COMODO. Never had an issue with it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.