Battle Eset vs Norton [Antivirus]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ludoles

Feb 12, 2013
I always check out this website before buying anti-virus software. My personal favourite is AVG because it does what it says and i like the fact that it's as unobtrusive as possible.

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
ludoles said:
I always check out this website before buying anti-virus software. My personal favourite is AVG because it does what it says and i like the fact that it's as unobtrusive as possible.

Hello,

I trust this site more then AV comparatives or the top ten reviews. I personally think avast! is better then AVG. No matter if it's the paid version or free one.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Malware Man said:
Hello,

I have used both of them.

My vote goes to Norton, I am using it right now and before I thought it's detection rates sucked cause I had smart updates on. Now that I have disabled them. It's detection went up dramatically.

They are both quite low on system resources. The new version of ESET loads all it's signatures into RAM so it uses like 100MB and Norton on my system right now is using about 14MB or so.

They are both good when it comes to browsing speed. I didn't notice any slowdowns using either of them.

When it comes to heuristics I think that ESET's aren't the easiest to configure. Well for me they aren't. I am really liking Norton's SONAR.

You will be getting great protection with either of them, I just prefer Norton over ESET.

Really i Love Norton a lot but i hate it is so much dependent on Internet.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Can you explain what you mean?

Because as far as I am concerned Every AV is dependent on the Internet..

MrExplorer said:

ludoles

Feb 12, 2013
I always check out this website before buying anti-virus software - www.windowsmac.com - My personal favourite is AVG because it does what it says and i like the fact that it's as unobtrusive as possible.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Earth said:

MrExplorer said:

I tested it last Month in around 30-35 virus link i used to test in that i found every file that is downloaded from that Virus Links is analyzed by its SONAR.

& SONAR uses Internet to analyze file.

D

Deleted member 178

Earth said:

MrExplorer said:

I think he means Norton depend too much of its cloud/file reputation

MrExplorer said:
I tested it last Month in around 30-35 virus link i used to test in that i found every file that is downloaded from that Virus Links is analyzed by its SONAR.
& SONAR uses Internet to analyze file.

Norton doesn't use "internet" it use its "cloud" (so it need an internet connection to connect to its servers) for checking the file reputation; that is a good thing

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
So you dislike a product that uses the Cloud to improve user protection? I suggest you disable* ESET LiveGrid and Windows SmartScreen, if you do not like the Cloud check-up services.

But like Umbra said, it's a good thing.

(*) Not advised

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Cloud is demand of current security scenario and we have to keep pace with the time otherwise the person who does not keep pace with time suffers

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
I personally love the cloud features. Windows 8 smart screen filter does a good job keeping unrecognized installers for executing. I like COMODO's cloud to. So even if you don't have the latest signatures updates, you technically do since you are connected to the cloud. But if malware kills your connection then you might have some issues. But it's faster to use the cloud to release updates rather then downloading them every time.

When I used Norton, I turned off smart updates and downloaded all the signatures. It worked a bit faster, rather then checking every file with cloud. But still took forever to recognized the files when I was scanning some malware packs from here. I believe it took over 1 hour to recognized 200 pieces of malware during it's 3 step scan that it does.

I'm not to similar with ESET's cloud. I wouldn't trust ESET until the HIPS is improved. It's signatures aren't the greatest and they aren't just cutting it no more. They really need better HIPS. Norton has SONAR going for them which works pretty good.

Again, my vote goes to Norton. But I'd choose COMODO over Norton. Cause I don't mind answering a lot of questions from HIPS. Since I am very used to it by now. Where as Norton does everything automatic for you pretty much. It's more of a install and forget antivirus.

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Chippel said:
Okay well. Just wondering because Norton scored higher on AV-Test.org than ESET. So I thought the heuristic of Norton is much better.. :)

I think SONAR is better then ESET's HIPS. Even though I am now aware that SONAR is actually a BB.

Reactions: Thunderbold

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
MrExplorer said:
You do know that probably every single antivirus program on the market is relying on a internet connection right? Whether it's accessing the cloud or downloading signatures.

You do realize that was sort of a stupid statement.

I found that statement funny. But hey, maybe you are having one of those days where you aren't just thinking right. Happened to me already on here. I felt so stupid reading some of the posts I have said so far.

:lolz:

P

Plexx

Malware Man said:
I'm not to similar with ESET's cloud. I wouldn't trust ESET until the HIPS is improved. It's signatures aren't the greatest and they aren't just cutting it no more. They really need better HIPS. Norton has SONAR going for them which works pretty good.

You should take ESET for a spin then.

ESET "cloud" ain't mediocre. Its HIPS can also perform well in Policy based mode. If you however are going to run on Interactive mode, be sure to answer the pop-up otherwise it will allow (which technically speaking should block)...

ESET focus more on Detection than Prevention, while Norton is the other way around.

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Biozfear said:
Malware Man said:

You should take ESET for a spin then.

ESET "cloud" ain't mediocre. Its HIPS can also perform well in Policy based mode. If you however are going to run on Interactive mode, be sure to answer the pop-up otherwise it will allow (which technically speaking should block)...

ESET focus more on Detection than Prevention, while Norton is the other way around.
I have tried ESET SS 6 before but it's HIPS just got me confused. I am not sure what mode to put it on and how to set it up right. I watched a lot of reviews on ESET. But I know it's better if you test them out yourself then watch someone else do it.

I might go and research more about ESET.

P

Plexx

Malware Man said:
I have tried ESET SS 6 before but it's HIPS just got me confused. I am not sure what mode to put it on and how to set it up right. I watched a lot of reviews on ESET. But I know it's better if you test them out yourself then watch someone else do it.

Here you go. Applies to V6 as well (excluding the new features such as scan whilst download, scan on idle and the rollback on signatures).

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Biozfear said:
Malware Man said:

Here you go. Applies to V6 as well (excluding the new features such as scan whilst download, scan on idle and the rollback on signatures).

Thank you! :)

I will just backup my CIS settings so I don't have to set it all up again once I re install it again. I will go and download ESET SS 6 and vie it a go and fool around with the settings.

I find this stuff so ineresting for some reason, maybe it's just me :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.