Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
A document from 1981 reveals the reason!
tech448.jpg

The first mouse cursor was indeed vertical

""There seems to be a reason why mouse cursor is slightly tilted which was found in a document from 1981.

Have you ever wondered why mouse cursor on your computer is slightly tilted and not straight? Why isn’t the cursor positioned vertically which would be a more logical choice? Because that would be more convenient for selecting text and other tasks.

An expert at StackExchange, who is quite familiar with the history of computer technology, explained the reason by referring to a document that is more than 30 years old (from 1981). He confirmed that Douglas Engelbart, who invented the mouse, in fact portrayed the arrow cursor vertically as the most logical selection option.

However, the graphical interface of the operating system in practice was first implemented by Xerox, namely – its research and development unit Palo Alto Research Center (PARC). In particular, the cursor was described in a document from 1981 , which lists the characteristics of XEROX PARC, the first ever Graphical User Interface (GUI) in history.

tech449.jpg
When designing this machine, it was practically impossible to design a vertical mouse arrow of small size (that could easily be seen by users) due to low resolution displays. That’s when they decided not to increase the size of the pointer, but instead turn it slightly so the left side of it was vertical and the right one tilted under 45°.

More than 30 years have passed since then, high-resolution displays were invented, but the tradition of portraying the mouse cursor tilted by 45° preserved."

Source

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
well i thought it represent our right hand which is slightly tiled while writing, typing.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
It was one of the first thing that struck my mind when I first saw Windows, if was may be the 3.1 version. I had asked a few people about that but no one could answer.
P.S. - I question every thing around me.

Reactions: Venustus

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
It's not really tilted, only gives the effect of tilt, the left side is a straight line from top to bottom

Reactions: Nedim

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.