Troubleshoot Every text program on PC is read-only (spyshelter?)

Abzec5

Thread author
Dec 24, 2020
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Cannot save files.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Disabled spyshelter, set "C:" to have write access.
Hi all,
Whenever I try to save a Word, Notepad, Powerpoint etc. file it never just saves, a save windows pops up and asks me to save it, then attempting to save it with the same name, apparently I don't have permission to save files on my pc anymore.
I'm thinking it might have something to do with Spyshelter, I went into "C:" to notice my user account could only read and execute files, so I changed it to write permissions (this is safe/not a security risk right?) and yet I still can't save files.
Any ideas? If it is Spyshelter I am guessing the "folders with write access"/HIPS has something to do with it.

edit: nvm, idk how it happened, but I just got an alert from Avast's ransomware shield saying it blocked access to changes on the desktop from notepad (among other things), so I allowed it now I can save again. random, I disabled spyshelter from startup and it still (didn't) work so i don't think that's to blame.

also i don't want to fully derail the thread but given that's it's been solved, i have another quesiton, do you think avast premium is any better than free/needed?

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.