Everything by Voidtools - Have you tried it?

Have you tried the "Everything" program by Voidtools?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No, I don't need this program

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I will try this program

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OutOfBounds

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 22, 2016
Had to uninstall a program on my windows-7 laptop with Revo Uninstaller Pro. And it is a well-recommended program with people it still leaves stuff behind. So I did some hunting about and come across this little beauty called Everything.

I find it does a good job at finding some left over files.

-------------

Everything

Everything.Search.Window.png

"Everything" is a filename search engine for Windows.

How is Everything different from other search engines
  • Small installation file.
  • Clean and simple user interface.
  • Quick file indexing.
  • Quick searching.
  • Quick startup.
  • Minimal resource usage.
  • Small database on disk.
  • Real-time updating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jack and AtlBo

broughie

Level 2
Verified
Sep 11, 2013
Completely agree I use Revo free with advanced option to clear registry items, but always use Everything after to find any leftover files. Vgood program far better than windows search.

sudo -i

Level 4
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
Not sure what it is about the search algorithm of this program -- I'm assuming it builds the database once when the program launches and continues referring to the same database until something is changed and then increments the database updates -- but it is extremely fast compared to Windows Search -- which indexes your searches. I've replaced the Cortana/Search bar on my taskbar with Everything as my "default" search.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
everything is perfect for finding files, but cannot search for text inside a file.
but windows search with indexing does that, so if you need to look for words or phrases inside a doc, leave your indexing on.

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Hello,I have never heard of everything(Also using Revo Pro)but i will definitely check it out now, thanks fellow users.:)

Reactions: AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
TreeSizeFree has the similar run-time qualities of Everything. Its different than Everything but can be every bit as useful for searching out areas to clean on a PC, especially finding large files that can be removed.

Keeping these apps in a portable form works well. One way to keep them is to download the PortableApps app and then add the ones that are there and others that aren't just place them in the PortableApps folder. For important ones drop a shortcut on the desktop etc.

One thing about the PortableApps application. Installing it to a drive will change the icon of the drive :(. This cannot be easily undone, and I haven't found a way yet, although it's probably the registry. After adding it once, I didn't install it on other PCs. I just move the folder around with no installation. Doesn't change the icon that way. On the very plus side, the PortableApps app is great about updating the portables that are added from the app store. +1 for this. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.