Advanced Plus Security Evjl's Rain's Security Config 2019

Last updated
Jul 28, 2019
Windows Edition
Pro
Security updates
Check for updates and Notify
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)
Real-time security
WiseVector StopX + Syshardener (checked almost everything)

Extra: Windows smartscreen, RunBySmartscreen, blocked inbound connections for most used apps, Bandizip adding zone.identifier for archives
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Syshardener:
Periodic malware scanners
Zemana Portable
Norton Power Eraser
HitmanPro
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
ESET Online Scanner (rarely used, only for PUPs, super time-consuming)
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chromium portable (Woolyss, full options)
Extensions: ublock origin, Windows Defender Browser Protection, Bitdefender Trafficlight, Checker Plus for Gmail, Google Translate, h264ify, Enhancer for Youtube
Maintenance tools
CCleaner (enhanced), Wise Disk/Registry cleaners, HDCleaner, Dism++, Everything, Firewall App Blocker, Softperfect RAMdisk, Windscribe, SumatraPDF, Notepad++, Sandboxie, Bandizip,...
File and Photo backup
Google Drive, Google Photos, Dropbox, MEGA
System recovery
Macrium Reflect
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Downloading malware samples
Computer specs
i7-3630QM, 8GB RAM, GT650M, SSD Crucial 240GB

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hi, everybody
This is my 2019 configuration
My laptop is really old and I only use it for basic tasks so no dangerous actions anymore

I fully focus on performance and usability. I cherry-picked softwares which use the least amount of CPU, RAM and disk storage/activity as much as possible to extend the lifespan of the machine
Avast is my top choice because it is almost the only AV which fits my requirements
Other AVs tend to cause a lot of read/write to the disk or they are not free or they have something I can't cope with

I also tweaked my windows to reduce resource consumption to minimum level but still keep basic usability

Windows 8.1 v9600 is million times faster than Windows 10 (from version 1507 to the latest 1809) on my laptop
Windows 10 v1511 is the most stable and the fastest/smoothest version of all but it's still not comparable to W8.1 in terms of smoothness and stability
W7 doesn't have smartscreen so I don't use it

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
For browser protection, you have both Windows Defender Browser Protection,and Emsisoft Browser Security . I only have Emsisoft .I don't use Chromium but Chrome. With the protection already included in Chrome, would it be too much to add Windows Defender Browser protection? Any significant gains by doing that? Windows Defender is my antivirus on Windows 10.
Thanks

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
The only "cons" would be UAC -> " No Dim Desktop"... and browser's default PassWord Manager...

Thanks for sharing :giggle:
hello, I'm fine. sorry, I fixed it
For browser protection, you have both Windows Defender Browser Protection,and Emsisoft Browser Security . I only have Emsisoft .I don't use Chromium but Chrome. With the protection already included in Chrome, would it be too much to add Windows Defender Browser protection? Any significant gains by doing that? Windows Defender is my antivirus on Windows 10.
Thanks
chrome and chromium are basically the same but chromium doesn't have a few privacy-related module that google packed into chrome. Chromium also doesn't have software_reporter_tool.exe (occasionally causes high CPU and disk usage)
about the extensions, windows defender and WD browser protection are entirely different products. They have different databases
about emsisoft, I'm really questioning its effectiveness because during several months of using emsisoft browser protection, it has blocked very very few malicious links while WDBP blocked a lot a lot more, besides google safe browsing
WDBP and emsisoft are extremely lightweight and almost consume no resource + they don't conflict. It's definitely helpful to use both
I have seen lots of links missed by A but blocked by B and the other way around. Since they have no impact, I see no problem using them both
I don't care about vulnerability and privacy hypes people are talking about having many extensions

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Added:
- WiseVector StopX: very very light, great signatures. Feels like a portable AV (it does)
- Bitdefender Trafficlight
- Dism++: for cleaning WinSxS folder
- Macrium Reflect (bootable)

Removed:
- Avast: nothing against it. ViseVector is just a lighter, writes much less data to disk -> better SSD longevity. Avast is still better overall
- Emsisoft Browser Security: ineffective, never blocked anything
- Violentmonkey: doesn't need it anymore

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I mean if You keep all these settings enabled:
1564319771693.png1564319806672.png
Those ones are because I have WV SX as on demand scanner + KTS2021beta.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I mean if You keep all these settings enabled:
Those ones are because I have WV SX as on demand scanner + KTS2021beta.
yes, I keep everything enabled because WV is now my main AV
ps: you can convert WV into a portable scanner by copying the whole folder to another location and uninstall WV using an uninstaller. It's fully functional

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Although I don't use Kaspersky 2020 because I can't install it, I want to update my tweaks for Kaspersky Security cloud free 2020 for maximum performance without reducing security

Basic tweaks - should do
1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG4.PNG5.PNG6.PNG7.PNG8.PNG9.PNG10.PNG11.PNG

Additional tweak for faster reading -> creates caches
13.png14.PNG15.PNG16.PNG17.PNG18.PNG

Another tweak to ignore scanning of browser caches
Open Threats and Exclusions -> Manage Exclusion -> add your browser's cache folders to Kaspersky
you have to find cache folders yourself because the locations are changed in different computers

for chrome: cache, GPUcache, Media cache, code cache

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.