Advanced Plus Security Evjl's Rain's Security Config 2019

Last updated
Jul 28, 2019
Windows Edition
Pro
Security updates
Check for updates and Notify
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)
Real-time security
WiseVector StopX + Syshardener (checked almost everything)

Extra: Windows smartscreen, RunBySmartscreen, blocked inbound connections for most used apps, Bandizip adding zone.identifier for archives
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Syshardener:
Periodic malware scanners
Zemana Portable
Norton Power Eraser
HitmanPro
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
ESET Online Scanner (rarely used, only for PUPs, super time-consuming)
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chromium portable (Woolyss, full options)
Extensions: ublock origin, Windows Defender Browser Protection, Bitdefender Trafficlight, Checker Plus for Gmail, Google Translate, h264ify, Enhancer for Youtube
Maintenance tools
CCleaner (enhanced), Wise Disk/Registry cleaners, HDCleaner, Dism++, Everything, Firewall App Blocker, Softperfect RAMdisk, Windscribe, SumatraPDF, Notepad++, Sandboxie, Bandizip,...
File and Photo backup
Google Drive, Google Photos, Dropbox, MEGA
System recovery
Macrium Reflect
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Downloading malware samples
Computer specs
i7-3630QM, 8GB RAM, GT650M, SSD Crucial 240GB

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
On System Utilities: I would remove Wise Disk/registry cleaners and I would add Cleanmgr+ and Regseeker. Both very light and effective !
I have all of them
I found wise can clean a lot more than cleanmgr+. Also I use Dism++ which is more adavanced than it
I use 4 disk cleaners to be exact but 3 on weekly basis (scheduled task, fully automatic). They complement each others => cleanmgr+ is redundant.
dism++ only when I think my computer is slow

EDIT: I don't mind about lightness because they are all portable in my computer. They run on my demand or scheduled to run every Sunday evening

Last edited:

floalma

Level 4
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
I've just tried to clean with cleanmgr++ after cleaning with Wise Disk and Wise Care 365.
I cleaned 1.02 GB with WD and WC365.
After that, I cleaned with Cleanmgr++ 650Mb. You can check my settings, not all options were selected.
Also I didn't remove anything from 'More' (second tab)

I have all of them
I found wise can clean a lot more than cleanmgr+.

Attachments

• cleanmgr++.png
    cleanmgr++.png
    163.8 KB · Views: 241

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I've just tried to clean with cleanmgr++ after cleaning with Wise Disk and Wise Care 365.
I cleaned 1.02 GB with WD and WC365.
After that, I cleaned with Cleanmgr++ 650Mb. You can check my settings, not all options were selected.
Also I didn't remove anything from 'More' (second tab)
according to your screenshot, it's weird that Wise Disk Cleaner didn't clean your temp folder (552MB) which is supposed to be cleaned by all cleaners
did you tweak wise disk cleaner?

usually, cleanmnr+ can only clean a little after I use ccleaner (enhanced) and wise

floalma

Level 4
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
I didn't tweak wise disk cleaner ? I only checked by defaut, the recommended settings. Check the attached file, you will see that windows temp was checked.

according to your screenshot, it's weird that Wise Disk Cleaner didn't clean your temp folder (552MB) which is supposed to be cleaned by all cleaners
did you tweak wise disk cleaner?

usually, cleanmnr+ can only clean a little after I use ccleaner (enhanced) and wise

Attachments

• Wise Cleaner Disk.png
    Wise Cleaner Disk.png
    171.1 KB · Views: 253

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I didn't tweak wise disk cleaner ? I only checked by defaut, the recommended settings. Check the attached file, you will see that windows temp was checked.
that's weird. I don't understand why but it should work
perhaps something prevents wise to clean the temp folder

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Yeah, like 5 or 6 security softs?:unsure: :)
or an active programs he is using for example an installer of NET framework can generate a lot of temp files

@Evjl's Rain
"Usually, cleanmnr+ can only clean a little after I use ccleaner (enhanced) and wise". Could you give an example or estimate the Cleanmgr+ size cleaned.
I can't estimate the number because it varies a lot
here are the results
1-ccleaner -> 2-Wise -> Cleanmgr+ (it reported 0MB gained)
1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG

Note: ccleaner must be tweaked in Options to maxmize its cleaning effect.
By default, it ignores files that are less than 24 hours old -> this creates false perception of ccleaner being weak

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Removed:
Kaspersky Security cloud free 2020 (c): although the protection and performance are very very impressive with my tweaks (very low disk writing), I still feel my laptop runs smoother (a bit) with WiseVector

I feel it's even lighter than ESET IS, no joke

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
yes, CCleaner+CCenhancer

@Evjl's Rain...thanks for this. Tried it for the first time -500mb of .NET leftovers. Anyone know the details of Google Browser Metrics or Feature Engagement Tracker? Not sure what they are.

Curious to know how Comodo Firewall and WiseVector are together. Kaspersky Security Cloud is so good on this laptop I feel guilty to remove this program, but it doesn't like Comodo Firewall. I think I would try WV on a PC that has FortiClient + CFW now if the combo WV + Comodo will run together...

Your configs are always the best @Evjl's Rain, so thankyou very much for posting your choices

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
@Evjl's Rain how are you finding WiseVector?

~LDogg
hello, after roughly 70 days of using WiseVector, I have some findings:
- it's extremely light, no doubt about that. There are are no webfilter and extra features/bloats
- It can be converted to a portable AV (copy its folder to another location and uninstall it)
- Detection rate is amazing. It's like Cylance + support for script malwares. It's much more advanced than cylance because cylance only monitor certain extensions and completely useless against scripts
- Some noticeable FPs but tolerable. Most FPs come from scripts (Crucial SSD program, TCP optimizer,...). FPs are very common for AI-driven AV
- The developer (here) is very responsive and listens to all suggestions. They fix FPs quickly
- It doesn't connect to internet/server frequently -> good thing = less/no telemetry
- It writes very small amount of data to disk => better lifespan of SSD
- Memory usage is low/very low (maybe not the lowest but up there)
- Low CPU usage
- it can protect in offline condition, unlike WD, no internet = death

However, I still can't fully recommend it to average users who knows nothing about computer science because they may not be able to handle unexpected situations. This AV is still new and there are rooms for improvement: stability and efficacy

I'm happy with this AV so far
I may not have time to switch to many different AVs anymore

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
hello, after roughly 70 days of using WiseVector, I have some findings:
- it's extremely light, no doubt about that. There are are no webfilter and extra features/bloats
- It can be converted to a portable AV (copy its folder to another location and uninstall it)
- Detection rate is amazing. It's like Cylance + support for script malwares. It's much more advanced than cylance because cylance only monitor certain extensions and completely useless against scripts
- Some noticeable FPs but tolerable. Most FPs come from scripts (Crucial SSD program, TCP optimizer,...). FPs are very common for AI-driven AV
- The developer (here) is very responsive and listens to all suggestions. They fix FPs quickly
- It doesn't connect to internet/server frequently -> good thing = less/no telemetry
- It writes very small amount of data to disk => better lifespan of SSD
- Memory usage is low/very low (maybe not the lowest but up there)
- Low CPU usage
- it can protect in offline condition, unlike WD, no internet = death

However, I still can't fully recommend it to average users who knows nothing about computer science because they may not be able to handle unexpected situations. This AV is still new and there are rooms for improvement: stability and efficacy

I'm happy with this AV so far
I may not have time to switch to many different AVs anymore

This is a great progress report on WiseVector.

Thanks Evjl's Rain.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
@Evjl's Rain...thanks for this. Tried it for the first time -500mb of .NET leftovers. Anyone know the details of Google Browser Metrics or Feature Engagement Tracker? Not sure what they are.
sorry for my late reply. If we don't know what they are, the best thing is to leave them alone
I thing those options won't free up a lot of space compared to caches , GPUcache, media cache, code cache
I tried to checked some unknown chrome-related options in ccleaner and end up making chrome broken -> my current profile was corrupted and I had to create a new one
furthermore, if 1 option is fine on current version of chrome, there is no certainty that it would work on the next versions
for example, everything was perfect until I updated my chrome to version 77. The first thing I noticed was when I typed "m" or "a" on chrome's address bar, chrome was forcefully closed endlessly. I managed to fix it by manually changing some options in settings

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Have you read the news about SecureAPlus?
They are making a Lite version that will be free forever and without nags :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.