Never notify (disabled)
Real-time security
Avast Premier (HM aggressive), Voodooshield Pro, Shadow Defender
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Zemana portable, herdProtect, Emsisoft EK, VirusTotal Uploader, Hitman Pro
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Google Chrome x64, uBlock Origin, Avira Browser Safety, Popup Blocker (strict), Checker Plus for Gmail™, h264ify, Violentmoney, VTchromizer, uBlock Origin Extra, GIFUR
Maintenance tools
CCleaner (CCenhancer-ed), Privazer, DiskMax, Spybot Anti-beacon, O&O ShutUp, Everything
File and Photo backup
Windows built-in
System recovery
Norton Ghost (Hirenboot CD)
Computer specs
https://malwaretips.com/threads/rains-laptop.61841/

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hi everyone, this is my windows configuration. I don't really have anything important in my laptop. Even if I get ransomware, I just laugh and restore my laptop from the GHO file :D. I have nothing to lose. I have all my important data in cloud, <15Gb

I don't really care about security and I don't want security softwares to prompt everything I wanna do. I just want a setup that set-and-forget with fewer user interations as possible. I don't wanna serve my laptop but I want it to serve me :rolleyes:

I always do my online banking inside kaspersky safemoney environment and makesure there is no running malware processes running in background using process explorer and virustotal API

I believe I have enough knowledge to deal with malwares and possible errors from windows as I always fix my friends' computers :p

I set UAC minimum cuz I don't think it's needed as I have voodooshield which asks a lot more than UAC itself and I know what I wanna run so I'm not willing to change it cuz I basically just click Yes in most cases

Any suggestion for my setup? Thank you so much ;)

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Not a bad config, nice and lite, with VooDoo you can disable UAC altogether but i like that you at least leave it on "minimum"
I do this as well rather that disabling it altogether.
Thanks for sharing your config. :)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I would like to suggest a backup solution for a bit more flexibility. Macrium Reflect and Aomei Backupper are both very reliable and free. ;)
Thank you :D but I think I don't need them cuz my laptop is almost empty, there is nothing to backup :D. I tried windows backup and it did the job well as it saved all my appdata and game data (PES 2016) to other drives and USB

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Why do you have CCleaner, Wise Care 365, IObit Advanced SystemCare Pro at the same time ?
each of them for a different purpose
CCleaner with ccenhancer for daily-weekly cleanup
wise365 portable: only use when needed either for cleanup, tweaking or monitor pc because of their features
iobit portable: advanced tweakings.
I have been testing different ways of tweaking my pc/laptop for 10 years (failed sometimes)
because of this combination and a few other stuffs, I have my laptop with 5400rpm HDD boots up in less than 15s :cool:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
User Access Control- Not Dim Desktop (Minimum)= High Risk.
Too many Extensions= Vulnerability also high for browser.
To add,

Do not dim my desktop - When a UAC prompt is shown, the desktop is not dimmed and other programs are able to interfere with it. Security Impact: this level is even less secure as it makes it easy for malicious programs to simulate keystrokes or mouse moves that interfere with the UAC prompt.

What is UAC (User Account Control) & Why You Should Not Turn it Off

Unless your PC specifications are weak, do not disable the Secure Desktop.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
User Access Control- Not Dim Desktop (Minimum)= High Risk.
Too many Extensions= Vulnerability also high for browser.

To add,

Do not dim my desktop - When a UAC prompt is shown, the desktop is not dimmed and other programs are able to interfere with it. Security Impact: this level is even less secure as it makes it easy for malicious programs to simulate keystrokes or mouse moves that interfere with the UAC prompt.

What is UAC (User Account Control) & Why You Should Not Turn it Off

Unless your PC specifications are weak, do not disable the Secure Desktop.
thanks for the heads up. So which level should I set for UAC? Default or always notify? Is Default good enough?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
CCleaner should be more than enough.
Nice config! Thanks for sharing it with us :)
if you use ccleaner + ccenhancer than you use diskmax, you willvfind out that ccleaner is not enough. Diskmax will clean 512mb-2gb more after using ccleaner. That's why I use them in combination ;)

Reactions: Logethica

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
So far so good on that configuration, you may try to explore enough the configuration of Application Control (Kasperksy) which the effectiveness plays by tweaking.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Removed: Kaspersky IS, Google Chrome
Added:
- Avast IS with custom installation - removed unnecessary stuffs
+ Custom settings followed this post
- Cốc Cốc browser (chromium engine)
- Tampermokey -> Violentmokey with Youtube +, adsbypasser & antiadblock killer
- Web boost (chrome extension)
- More antispyware & adware custom rules for ublock origin

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Added:
- Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 MR0
- Cloneapp (will reset my windows 10 home soon because of some unrepairable bugs)
- Stealth mode by adguard - chrome extension
- ublock spyware/adware filters + vietnamese ad filters (added long ago but forgot to post)

Removed:
- Avast IS - boot time is higher than KIS after defragging the HDD :eek:
- Wise care 365

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Please delete the unnecessary extensions, having too extensions can cause vulnerability to your browsing. Personally I will keep only: BD TrafficLight, HTTPS Everywhere and uBlock Origin.

Thanks for sharing ;)
I turned off a few extensions but some of them are extemely useful for productivity and security. For example webrtc limiter and stealth mode

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.