SECURE: BASIC Evjl's Rain's security config

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Most recent changes
Apr 10, 2018
Operating System
Windows 10
Windows Edition
Pro
Build
System type
64-bit OS
Security Updates
Check for Updates only - User interaction for download and installation
User Access Control
Never Notify
Device Firewall
3rd-party Firewall - Network security provided by a trusted vendor
Device Security
Windows Defender SmartScreen
User Account
Administrator - User has complete control over the device
Recent Security Issues
Not in a long time
Security Testing with Malware
Yes - Using a secure, isolated environment (ie. VM)
Real-time Web & Malware Protection
Comodo Firewall, Kaspersky Free, Syshardener, Quad9 DNS, SRP tweaks
Security Protection settings
Custom - Major changes for Better Performance
Virus and Malware Removal Tools
Zemana, HitmanPro, NPE, Emsisoft emergency kit
Browsers and Extensions
Google Chrome x64 (RAMdisk cache): ublock origin, Norton Safe Web, Notifier for Gmail, Google Translate, Violentmonkey, VTchromizer, h264ify, NanoDefender, Open link in same tab, pop-up as tab [Free]
Web Privacy
1/ ublock origin: Steven Black's hosts, hphosts EMD, many others
2/ Quad9 DNS
Password Management
None
Default Web Search
Google, Duckduckgo
System Utilities collection
CCleaner+CCenhancer, auslogic disk defragmenter, Wise disk cleaner, Wise registry cleaner, IObit Uninstaller, Geek uninstaller, Revo Uninstaller, Syshardener, O&OShutup, WPD, utorrent pro, SumatraPDF, Foxit PhantomPDF, EagleGet, SoftPefectRAM Disk, Winrar, Everything Search Engine, Classic Shell
Personal data Backup
Dropbox, Google Drive
Intervals between Personal data backups
None
Disk Imaging Backup
Norton Ghost
Intervals between System Image backups
Occasionally
Device Specs
https://malwaretips.com/threads/rains-laptop.61841/#post-528136

Evjl's Rain

Level 31
Verified
AV-Tester
Apr 18, 2016
Operating System
Windows 8.1
Installed Antivirus
Avast
All of these configurations are designed for PERFORMANCE AND USABILITY. Security is in the second place
SRP tweaks:

All other machines' fully automated configurations (for parents and friends who don't know much about computer)
- Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate (x86, x64)
- Avast Free (tweaked)
- CheckMAL Appcheck Anti-ransomware Free
- Unchecky
- Windows Firewall
- CocCoc browser/Chrome with uBlock Origin and uBlock Origin Extra + additional security filters
- Avira Browser Safety
- Windows Updates are disabled => broke or slowed down their machines significantly in the past + they don't want W10 or W10's upgrade nags
- CCleaner + CCEnhancer -> scheduled autoclean every Sunday 6PM

None of these machines have had malwares for years. Perhaps a few PUPs which hijacked the browsers

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 31
Verified
AV-Tester
Apr 18, 2016
Operating System
Windows 8.1
Installed Antivirus
Avast
hehe CocCoc browser (Vietnamese chromium fork) :)
:D the best browser for vietnamese with built-in download accelerator + FB censorship bypassing :D
Thanks for sharing :)
I see a high security level and well-balanced, but sorry why is Windows update disabled? :)
because Windows Update broke/slowed down some of the machines and made them malfunctioned (+ some of them use cracked windows, not me :) ). It's like a malware for average users if they don't know what they are doing :D. I went to the computer repair shop last week and saw 6 people came to install W7 because they couldn't use W8.1 or 10 or they had annoying bugs (many people in my country can't speak/understand english). The computer guy also said my W10 was slow for all its power -> asked me to install W7 o_O (he was right but I knew he just wanted to get some extra $$$ for installing windows)

Feb 13, 2017
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Emsisoft
:D the best browser for vietnamese with built-in download accelerator + FB censorship bypassing :D

because Windows Update broke/slowed down some of the machines and made them malfunctioned (+ some of them use cracked windows, not me :) ). It's like a malware for average users if they don't know what they are doing :D. I went to the computer repair shop last week and saw 6 people came to install W7 because they couldn't use W8.1 or 10 or they had annoying bugs (many people in my country can't speak/understand english). The computer guy also said my W10 was slow for all its power -> asked me to install W7 o_O (he was right but I knew he just wanted to get some extra $$$ for installing windows)
Yeah, for sure MS should work in better way before release some updates.
A few months ago I was blocked without being able to work because during the restart for the updates installation, the system went into loop mode.
At the end, forced shutdown :D

Umbra

Level 61
Content Creator
Verified
May 16, 2011
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Default-Deny
The computer guy also said my W10 was slow for all its power -> asked me to install W7 o_O (he was right but I knew he just wanted to get some extra $$$ for installing windows)
Inded very common practice over there, they are very good at fixing hardware but in term of OS deployment and optimization, many are clueless :D

Evjl's Rain

Level 31
Verified
AV-Tester
Apr 18, 2016
Operating System
Windows 8.1
Installed Antivirus
Avast
With enough care, this may be the simplest yet solid protection. Awesome :)
Do you have hardened mode (and if yes, which one) in AP enabled, having VDS alongside?
yes, I have hardened mode aggressive enabled
VS in autopilot can help to catch those malwares which are missed by HM. Sometimes, HM allows some new malwares for unknown reasons

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 31
Verified
AV-Tester
Apr 18, 2016
Operating System
Windows 8.1
Installed Antivirus
Avast
probably scripts but scripts eventually download .exe in order to work, mostly

I saw HM blocked most undetected samples but slipped 1 sample => she stopped the video then
I don't know why it failed. Was the payload .exe missed by HM or did it use another kind of attack without an exe file?

Last edited: