Excluding Folders and Quickly turning off WD

robbyrob

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
I am a long Avast user. Its free and it gets the job done. I'm pretty good about not downloading crap or opening weird files. Have taught the family to be careful also. Now my wife works for a company that only allows her to use WD on their issues laptops. Granted to only uses their site on it she has never gotten any viruses or prompts for anything. Avast is great but those "free gift and upgrade message" annoy the crap outta me. Was going to try WD. I only have 2 questions

1. Is there a way to exclude folders? I didn't see it messing around with it. Im on Win 10 Pro.
2. Is there a way to quickly turn off the AV? I sometimes use files that I know are going to set off the AV. For example in avast, I just right click icon, pause for 10 mins, run file and turn back on. How can I do this with WD? I don't want to have to do a epedit.msc every time. Kind of annoying too.

Thanks..

Rob

edit.. ok figured it out. Apparently, when you're using another antivirus it doesn't let you go into the settings where all this can be done. Uninstalled Avast and I figured it out.

Any changes I should make for privacy or to make WD better?

Last edited:

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
I am a long Avast user. Its free and it gets the job done. I'm pretty good about not downloading crap or opening weird files. Have taught the family to be careful also. Now my wife works for a company that only allows her to use WD on their issues laptops. Granted to only uses their site on it she has never gotten any viruses or prompts for anything. Avast is great but those "free gift and upgrade message" annoy the crap outta me. Was going to try WD. I only have 2 questions

1. Is there a way to exclude folders? I didn't see it messing around with it. Im on Win 10 Pro.
2. Is there a way to quickly turn off the AV? I sometimes use files that I know are going to set off the AV. For example in avast, I just right click icon, pause for 10 mins, run file and turn back on. How can I do this with WD? I don't want to have to do a epedit.msc every time. Kind of annoying too.

Thanks..

Rob

edit.. ok figured it out. Apparently, when you're using another antivirus it doesn't let you go into the settings where all this can be done. Uninstalled Avast and I figured it out.

Any changes I should make for privacy or to make WD better?
To tune WD:
AndyFul/ConfigureDefender
For privacy:
O&O ShutUp10
WPD

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
sweet thanks!. As far as Andyful/ConfigureDefender do you tweak one by one or just click for example defender higher settings?

Either way. For example, you could choose High settings and manually change Edge and Explorer to Warn. For additional questions, post in CD thread please.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.