ExpressVPN vs Perfect Privacy VPN vs Windscribe Pro VPN

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
This comparative review discusses the 3 VPNs. All info taken from the net. Any incorrect info presented please highlight so that correction can be made.

ExpressVPN

PROS
  • Mddle speeds across the board and good reliability throughout the VPN server network
  • Most number of OpenVPN-enabled servers i.e. more than 2000 servers across 148 locations in 94 countries.
  • No-log policy i.e. no activity and no connection logs. No IP address log, no time log, the VPN address assigned, any info on website or pages you are visiting (including via DNS requests or any of your traffic. The company, however, do records
  • date when you connected to the service but not the time of the day
  • your choice of server
  • the version of the clients you have installed
  • total amount of data transferred each day
  • None of the above constitute a privacy risk. Other VPN providers will do likewise but not admitting it
  • the VPN clients collect telemetry data (speed test info, connection failures, crash reports etc) but they are anonymized and can be disabled during the installation process or any time with a click
  • Proven no leakage of user data when servers were seized in Turkey
  • High-security applications with maximum encryption (passed all privacy/security tests). IPv6 WebRTC leak requires ExpressVPN’s browser add-on
  • ExpressVPN uses an AES 256-bit cipher with a 4096-bit RSA key and SHA-512 HMAC authentication. Additionally, ExpressVPN utilizes Perfect Forward Secrecy negotiated through DH-2048 Diffie-Hellman key exchange. Uses own zero-knowledge 256-bit encrypted DNS servers.
  • Allows user to choose own protocol from OpenVPN UDP/OpenVPN TCP/L2TP-IPSex/PPTP/SSTP for Windows client
  • Users shared a static IP address
  • Has a Firewall-based Kill Switch (Network Lock) which works perfectly
  • Split-tunnelling feature
  • Solid choice for torrenting
  • Still works with Netflix using its VPN and Smart DNS (which offers no privacy and security)
  • No bandwidth and no data cap
  • Has Speed Test feature to show latency, download speed etc
  • Has dedicated android app
  • Has extension for browsers
  • Uses a mix of bare metal and virtual servers
  • Has “stealth servers” in Hong Kong to defeat censorship in China
  • ExpressVPN offers 24/7 live chat support and a 30-day money-back guarantee
  • Free android testing for 7 days
  • If sign up using bitcoin and a burner(disposable) email account then user anonymity is there
CONS
  • Some servers are “virtual” servers but these are used only for some remote locations
  • No server-side malware/ad/tracker/social/phishing/botnet filtering. Therefore, needs better protection on the user side
  • No multi-hops nor built-in TOR connection
  • Second expensive in terms of subscription. 1-yr subscription costs US$99.84 + 3 free months (see www.bestvpn.com/review/expressvpn/)
  • Offers only 3-simultaneous device connections
  • No free Windows testing
  • No IKEv2 protocol for Windows. Only OpenVPN UDP/TCP for android.
  • Cannot change encryption standards.
Windscribe Pro VPN

PROS
  • From offers can get cheapest subscription for 1-yr plan of US$12. Can get lifetime subscription for US$35.50 with promo codes.
  • Fast with default IKEv2 protocol but overall test of servers with industry standard OpenVPN still slower than ExpressVPN
  • Windscribe's default encryption is very strong, using a SHA-512 cipher for authentication and a 4096-bit RSA protocol for the "handshake" that sets up the secure connection. The browser extension uses TLS1.2, ECDHE_RSA with P-256 key exchange and AES_128_GCM cipher. All transferred data uses AES-256 encryption. Support for Perfect Forward Secrecy. It uses OpenVPN/IKEv2/IPsec/SOCKS5 protocols.
  • No leaks detected (IP, DNS, WebRTC)
  • Has R.O.B.E.R.T. server-side malware/ad/tracker/social/phishing/botnet filtering. Lesser protection needed on the user side. Windscribe have a whitelist feature on its extension
  • Has self-configurable multi-hops. Need desktop and its extension to achieve that.
  • More servers than Perfect Privacy VPN
  • Has dedicated android app. But to get connected via IKEv2 needs the Strongswan app, or via OpenVPN with OpenVPN for Android
  • Unlimited simultaneous device connections
  • Can get free service of 10/50/60 GB per month
  • Has a Firewall
  • Has a Windscribe-dedicated Reddit forum
  • Has 600 servers in 51 countries
  • Supports torrent in some locations
  • Supports Stealth/WSTunnel to bypass VPN blocking
  • Windows client also supports setting up your system as a secure wireless hotspot (if your network adapter supports this) or a proxy gateway
  • Still can connect to Netflix
  • Has extension for browsers
  • With Bitcoin can be anonymous as signing up requires username (fake) and password only
  • Supports multi-hop for two(2) servers only
CONS
  • Headquartered in Canada, a 5-eye country
  • Does not own its own servers or IP addresses i.e. use rental VPS servers. Read https://vpn-anbieter-vergleich-test.de/windscribe/
  • Multi-hop needs browser extension to accomplish that
  • No TOR connection
  • No Kill Switch. The Firewall is reported to be better so no Kill Switch.
  • No proven court case of seized servers with no data leakage of users yet
  • Cannot customize the settings of the encryption standards
  • Contradictory ‘No-log’ policy. It does some logging
  • Very much less servers available on mobile than desktop
  • Has a server status page on its website but not showing bandwidth and latency
  • No 24/7 live chat
Perfect Privacy VPN

PROS
  • Although headquartered in Switzerland the “technical implementation” part is in Panama. Both countries are excellent for protection of privacy and data for the users.
  • No-log policy
  • Proven no leakage of user data when servers were seized in Netherlands
  • Using all bare-metal servers for better speed, bandwidth and reliability. The servers also run in continuous RAM disk mode for additional user data protection.
  • Has TrackStop filter on server-side for malware/ad/tracker/social. Lesser protection needed on the user side. Only drawback is no whitelist.
  • Has self-configurable multi-hops up to four(4) servers in cascade
  • Has server-side NeuroRouting for dynamically route traffic across multiple hops in the VPN network
  • Has Stunnel Stealth VPN (obfuscation) Technology
  • Has Firewall-based Kill Switch
  • Has SSH tunnelling/Split tunnelling feature
  • Absolutely no leak (IP, DNS, WebRTC)
  • Full IPv6 support
  • User can select between OpenVPN UDP and TCP, or L2TP/IPsec. OpenVPN encryption is securely implemented with an AES 256 CBC cipher, GMAC SHA1 for data Authorization, and a robust Handshake (RSA-4096). Perfect Forward Secrecy is provided with DHE-4096
  • Socks5 and Squid proxies on all servers. All proxies can resolve .onion (TOR) addresses
  • User can select encryption standard e.g. AES, Camellia etc
  • Unlimited number of simultaneous connections with no bandwidth or traffic limit
  • Can check server latencies and bandwidth in real-time on its website
  • Has Warrant Canary
  • Has a user forum
  • No free testing but offers a full 7-day money-back guarantee, without any tricks or bandwidth clauses. This allows you to test everything out risk free
CONS
  • The Swiss can (and will) cooperate with the 5-Eye Security Alliance if required
  • Most expensive. 1-yr subscription for US$136.89
  • No dedicated android app. Needs either built-in IPSec VPN Config/OpenVPN connect app/Strongswan VPN app
  • No TOR connection
  • No live chat
  • No Netflix support
  • 55+ servers in 23 countries
  • Slowest speed amongst the three(3) VPNs
  • Server switching may take up to thirty(30) seconds
  • No IKEv2 protocol for Windows and android.
  • Firewall and dns-leak protection in the Perfect Privacy VPN software is using the Windows Firewall to make sure that no dns-leak occurs and all your traffic is being sent only over the encrytpted tunnel. When using a third party personal firewall this functionality will not be working.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I have tried ExpressVPN on android and it indeed have some fast servers in the East. They made known what info are collected and what servers are being used on their website.

Nowhere on the reviews of Windscribe Pro VPN that I can find mention of what servers (bare-metal or rental servers) they are using and why the reviews are most good and few bad. Read the link above including the comments by users which is in German. Use Google to translate.

Perfect Privacy VPN have the slowest speed overall likely due to its strong encryption and fewest servers especially in the East. However, it provides up to four(4) self-configurabe hops.

Overall, ExpressVPN is my choice for fastest speed and availability of servers in the East. As for my second choice I'm still searching and if cannot find then it'll be Perfect Privacy VPN

Last edited:

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I'm on Windscribe BETA for mobile currently. I will inform you as of yesterday a ton more locations just got released for mobile and you can actually drill down to "Cities" now on the mobile Android version. Again, I'm a trusted BETA tester for Windscribe so I know this information. I'm sure other BETA testers will come forward with the same information. The BETA Android version just got a whole new UI that looks slick and has some great features. I would post pictures, but I don't know if Windscribe would approve.

I will say that the firewall is amazing and the speeds are amazing with Windscribe. I still say Windscribe is one of the best VPNs out there on the market. I would vouch for Windscribe. With the introduction of R.O.B.E.R.T. among other things over the years we have seen a lot of great changes.

~Brian

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
This comparative review discusses the 3 VPNs. All info taken from the net. Any incorrect info presented please highlight so that correction can be made.

Excellent comparison. I can choose the suitable VPN only by reading the cons. :D Currently using the Private Internet Access on my mobile and on my PC. So far so good, it seems to be a quality VPN. If i were to choose from the 3 you posted above, i would also choose Windscribe PRO.

Jimbo791

Level 2
Verified
Jul 23, 2018
I have been using Windscribe for a few years now and have found it to be a good safe VPN. However when I installed Thor all hell got let lose, Thor blocked windscribe web site then caused windscribe to leak. Wiped Thor and all worked 100% again. The other VPN I have been using is seed4.me, works well, safe but can be slow at times.
A friend uses ExpressVPN and says it just the best, but the cost is very high.

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
In the test below, Perfect Privacy seems to be nr. 2 very close to Express VPN.
Best VPN Service: Only These 7 VPNs Passed ALL Tests & Are Safe
The link you posted did not indicate any speed test. However, if you'll go to

Perfect Privacy Review - Why It's the Best for Privacy (But not Price)

there are some numbers indicated there.

All VPNs have many servers concentrated in Europe and the US. So the speed test result carried out there is generally superb. I'm staying in the East and not many VPNs have great servers there besides a handful of them. If taken speed test result on say the US, Europe, Japan, Hong Kong, Australia etc you'll find the overall result won't be great maybe with the exception of a very few

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
The speed for me in the UK of perfect Privacy is the fastest of any VPN I've ever used (Nottingham server) including ExpressVPN, just under 10 below the attainable speed of 74 (I've tried most VPN's) - I use ExpressVPN for Netflix on 2 TV's but if you take Netflix out of the equation Perfect Privacy is the most private & configurable VPN there is by a long long way. Expensive but when my renewal is up I will pay. Of course many would think otherwise & VPN's are a waste of money & they are entitled to their opinions but for me well worth the money :):):):)

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I appreciate others speed tests but my own are perhaps the most applicable to me. I use a site (among others) 'Think Broadband' that tests single & multi thread. I rarely need to connect to any sever outside Europe with Perfect Privacy so those are the ones that affect me.

Windscribe for me again is pretty good, I have a 5 year licence, but ExpressVPN enables me to connect to Canadian Netflix, fast enough for UHD on two TV's - IMO always try VPN's for yourself, for example I'm not a fan of NordVPN (others love it) either in it's GUI or having to search often for a working Netflix (Canadian) server, I gave my licence to my son who really does get on with it.

Getting money back after a trial is often complex, beware of this recently CyberGhost was really simple, others very difficult - IPVanish for example was extremely difficult to get a refund & had to contact PayPal who as I spend a fortune with them quickly sorted it.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Can you add Pros and Cons for Nord VPN, Opera VPN and Tunnel Bear VPN?
There are some mention of privacy here

VPN Warning List - Is your VPN dangerous? | Restore Privacy

No log VPNs

No Logs VPN Services That Have Actually Been Proven True

NORDVPN - Many reviews on the net available

TUNNELBEAR VPN - Review here

TunnelBear Review 2018 - Why It is NOT Recommended

OPERA VPN - Not a true VPN and owns by a Chinese company

Opera VPN is not a real VPN | Perfect Privacy

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
There are some mention of privacy here

VPN Warning List - Is your VPN dangerous? | Restore Privacy

No log VPNs

No Logs VPN Services That Have Actually Been Proven True

NORDVPN - Many reviews on the net available

TUNNELBEAR VPN - Review here

TunnelBear Review 2018 - Why It is NOT Recommended

OPERA VPN - Not a true VPN and owns by a Chinese company

All interesting , thanks, if a VPN uses SSD's nothing to confiscate, although I'n not into illegal activities, as one link says a bad VPN can be worse than none at all.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.