Advice Request F-Droid suggestions

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Stopspying

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
The phone is a Sony Xperia that is a couple of years old and using Android 9. The plan is to clear all existing apps, from both F-Droid and other sources, then start again. As there are Adguard and F-Secure SAFE licences available these will be installed, along with Signal, and then the idea is to only install apps through F-Droid.

The user does general browsing and email on the phone, they don't do any financial transactions or social media on it. They also watch video, listen to music(.mp3 and .flac mostly), podcasts and the radio on it. Pretty average requirements really, I'm looking for suggestions for all of the above uses plus further security and privacy measures. The user is not paranoid about tracking but wants to leave as little evidence as possible while using an Android phone without installing an alternative OS. For maps the user has got used to OsmAnd and likes it, if you think something else is better then please suggest it.

There are other resources online with suggestions and advice on this but I thought I'd run it past the knowledgable users here.

Thanks in advance.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Are they planning to factory reset the device?

Pre-installed apps cannot be uninstalled, only disabled, unless stock Android is replaced with a custom ROM of choice.

More suggestions:

Stopspying

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Are they planning to factory reset the device?

Pre-installed apps cannot be uninstalled, only disabled, unless stock Android is replaced with a custom ROM of choice.

More suggestions:
It will most probably just have pre-installed apps disabled, sorry I didn't include this information. They don't want to install a custom ROM as they don't think that will suit them, they want an OS they are familiar with.

I like NetGuard, so I think that will be installed.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.