Not open for further replies.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The latest stable version for F-Secure have been updated to 17.3 and now include a improved ransomware protection. The setup automatic choose folders on every local account. Example : Pictures, Documents, Desktop etc. It's possible to add or remove folders. Go to Settings/DeepGuard. It's the same Tab in the App and File control.

I searched but there is no official changelog or releaselog at the moment but I'll post it as soon it's released or I get my hands on it. The update should happen automatic. Information found in the local UpgradeMessages folder.
  • Improved Ransomware Protection
  • Improved Bank Protection
  • SafeSearch Filtration
  • Bugfixes etc

@Lord Ami is probably the best one here on MT to inform or answer about this new features as I know he use/d it in the Beta version.

How can I find out what F-Secure product and version I am using? - F-Secure Community

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Just a quick explanation:

Ransomware protection works like many others in the market: It blocks unknown programs (ransomware) from modifying your protected folders. From my brief testing it seems to be really solid and I'm yet to counter malware that bybasses it.

Other than that, further engine improvements and fixes (mostly UI/web scanning functionality fixes). Beta has been really stable for me so far - so I urge people to join and try it out :)
Really lightweight too!

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
I am looking into F-Secure Safe, is it anygood ? @Lord Ami
I'm actively using it for the past ~1 year and I can safely say I really like it. It's effective, extremely lightweight (for me) and updated frequently (beta version at least). I've seen it block websites here and there (without breaking website's functionality).
The price is rather higher than other solutions (hard to comment if it's justified), but another plus is that they take user's privacy seriously. You could obtain beta license via Beta program:
Beta Programs | F-Secure Labs (all betas have been running stable so far, except the last one which I have some issue with).

I think what I miss the most is great firewall - this is missing from the product. Other than that, solid 5/5 from me :)

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

I'm actively using it for the past ~1 year and I can safely say I really like it. It's effective, extremely lightweight (for me) and updated frequently (beta version at least). I've seen it block websites here and there (without breaking website's functionality).
The price is rather higher than other solutions (hard to comment if it's justified), but another plus is that they take user's privacy seriously. You could obtain beta license via Beta program:
Beta Programs | F-Secure Labs (all betas have been running stable so far, except the last one which I have some issue with).

I think what I miss the most is great firewall - this is missing from the product. Other than that, solid 5/5 from me :)
Can you finally exclude blocked websites in F-Secure? I remember it was a major problem back then for me, when some site was blocked and there was a no way to unblock it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Can you finally exclude blocked websites in F-Secure? I remember it was a major problem back then.
Yes, you can do that. You can exclude pretty much everything.

Regarding some of the PUP families: Now, FS does not remove them, but blocks them (and offers user choice to exclude the detection). This is recent change to some mild PUP families (thata may not be harmful, but pose risk or are so called "hacktools").

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
It uses the Windows Firewall but Tweaked right ?

In some extent yes as for example DeepGuard use Windows Firewall ( WF ). F-Secure have a Firewall option under settings where your able to access WF ( admin only ) and a feature called " Advanced network protection ". It's enabled by default and works even if WF is turned off for any reson.

The decision to stop using F-Secures own Firewall was made 2013.

F-Secures work on it's business products reveal some interesting improvements that I can guess will later also be implemented in the Home version.

Computer Protection Firewall improvements and rationale - F-Secure Community

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Running very light on both systems here. Detection rate and URL blocking is very good.
Privacy wise this is one of the most transparant AV makers, even better then G Data.
The behaviour blocker is so much better than the one of G Data. Nice program.
Only need to have it password protected and webcam blocker and the program has all i need.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Running very light on both systems here. Detection rate and URL blocking is very good.
Privacy wise this is one of the most transparant AV makers, even better then G Data.
The behaviour blocker is so much better than the one of G Data. Nice program.
Only need to have it password protected and webcam blocker and the program has all i need.
it sadly isn't, at least if they haven't remade it in a year.
you're saying this cause you're testing 100% malware samples, Deepguard is a false positive machine, it will block malware but it will sure as hell block legitimate stuff too.

Reactions: Weebarra

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
it sadly isn't, at least if they haven't remade it in a year.
you're saying this cause you're testing 100% malware samples, Deepguard is a false positive machine, it will block malware but it will sure as hell block legitimate stuff too.
Why are you always so negative ? i know you like KIS and Cylance, but everyother av you burn to the ground,
Are you working for KIS or Cylance. You have a opinion on every AV but i never see proof from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.