F-Secure 18.2 released

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
Tried F-Secure a couple of days ago on this Windows 11 desk PC, as I get it really cheap with ISP - Very long time for it to restart, never had an issue like this & had 11 on since end June - Of course I thought it must be a PC or driver problem so removed VPN, AdGuard & messed around for some time with no luck, in the end I imaged back. It made the PC completely unusable & didn't have this issue a few weeks back - I'm actually relieved others have had a similar issue as I really wondered what was causing the problem - I'll reinstall F-Secure & contact support :rolleyes::rolleyes:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Personal I'm still free of those type of issues, and last test with my VM yesterday showed no signs as it closed/shutdown within 10 seconds. Still, it's a bit too many users in this thread alone so I will try to point to this thread and hopefully make them a bit more aware.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
2021-12-30-10-42-28.jpg

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I have F-Secure 18.2 running in two machines, one with an Intel Core i7 10th generation and another with a 3rd generation AMD Ryzen, I only have problems with the AMD one, can anyone confirm if the same problematic behavior occurs in an Intel machine? Maybe this can help pinpoint the bug.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
F-Secure wants to share a General advice in this case that hopefully can help, but please be aware that it is after all, a General advice and that means it might not work for everyone. F-Secure also advice users that feels unsure or have possible other security software settings/configurations or extra additional questions etc to reach out directly as MT is not an official support channel/platform.

Disclaimer
You use this advice/s on your own risk.
To identify and confirming the issue, you need to uninstall the SAFE program itself from the computer and check if the issue continuous or not. In addition, you also may try to follow the troubleshooting steps :

Kami7

Level 3
Verified
Dec 24, 2013
I have F-Secure 18.2 running in two machines, one with an Intel Core i7 10th generation and another with a 3rd generation AMD Ryzen, I only have problems with the AMD one, can anyone confirm if the same problematic behavior occurs in an Intel machine? Maybe this can help pinpoint the bug.
I have a similar situation. On a computer with an Intel processor everything works without a problem. The problem is on a computer with an AMD ryzen processor.

robboman

Level 2
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Laptop running on Intel CPU here with no issues, boot and shutdown as fast as usual.

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
I switch between win 8.1 and win 10 on the same machine. I have the same programs installed on win 8.1 as on win 10, and I have f-secure safe 18.2 on both. When I turn off the machine, win 8.1 is 5 seconds, and win 10 is 8 seconds. I think this is fast enough for me.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
8th generation core i-5 / 8400
First core i-5 / 760
Both have AMD graphics cards connected. In my case, the symptoms are common on the i-5 / 8400 desktop. This one is often in a state of being started for a long time including the sleep state, and the i-5 / 760 is shut down when it is not used for a short time.

I have a habit of cleaning temporary files before shutting them down, so I assumed there was a problem handling such files, but I could not see the difference on either desktop.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Since I also use AMD on my PCs, and also others in this thread without any issues, the CPU is for sure not a 100% conclusive assessment. Extra when some users even reports issues with machines with Intel.

Please check F-Secures general advice/s in this thread, but be aware there is no guarantee that F-Secure will constant check this thread for updates. Please contact their official support and fix the FSDIAG file first. The more reports they get to their own official support channel/platform, the better and faster is the chance the " issue " actually will be found and hopefully fixed.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Long shutdown its problem with Tamper protection, disable this function and everything works normal.
the naked gun facepalm GIF

One don't solve a random " shutdown issue " by disable and kill a default protection feature. Extra when it's not even 100% conclusive! That is silly reckless. F-Secures official support is what users should use.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I did all that F-Secure recommend & a fair bit more as I reckon most long term PC users will have done also - Due to pressing work issues I don't have time to reinstall SAFE at the moment & been using Shadow Defender while grandchildren been using PC a little which F-Secure don't like so I'll watch their forum - But I'm fortunate in being able to take most AV's or leave them.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
A shutdown delay issue has been posted on the official forums.
Perfect and glad to see it as it's one extra official report, but I'm doubtful F-Secure will actually be able to reproduce it without even get the full machine and system statistic from the FSDIAG file. Guessing is a pretty hard occupation.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
If you reduce the number of breaths you take, you reduce the risk of covid-19 infection. I think it's the same logic.
Let's think about it dispassionately. It is not a fatal problem that cannot be shut down. It's just a small problem that will take time. I don't think it's a problem that needs to be solved with increased risk.

Perfect and glad to see it as it's one extra official report, but I'm doubtful F-Secure will actually be able to reproduce it without even get the full machine and system statistic from the FSDIAG file. Guessing is a pretty hard occupation.
The most annoying thing is that there is no reliable way to reproduce the problem. Even in my environment, the time it takes to shut down varies quite a bit.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.