Battle F-Secure and Nod32 or another

Compare list
Nod32, F-Secure

Teboo

Thread author
Jul 7, 2021
Hello Community!

I'm new here. Truly i was read only for a while.
I ask for advice from you. I've to use a good protection on my laptop (ryzen 5, 32 gb ram), paid or free. I tried Windows Defender, Kaspersky Security Cloud free and Anti-Virus but they slowed down my computer. :( This is not acceptable for me.
I thought I'd give a try with Nod32 or F-Secure. I don't want heavy security suits (like Total Securites). Just be good (it doesn’t have to be perfect), problem free and keep my laptop performance as it can. This laptop is my working device.
Eset's solutions are famous and widespread but what about F-Secure? Or you know another solution?

Thank you!

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Hello Community!

I'm new here. Truly i was read only for a while.
I ask for advice from you. I've to use a good protection on my laptop (ryzen 5, 32 gb ram), paid or free. I tried Windows Defender, Kaspersky Security Cloud free and Anti-Virus but they slowed down my computer. :( This is not acceptable for me.
I thought I'd give a try with Nod32 or F-Secure. I don't want heavy security suits (like Total Securites). Just be good (it doesn’t have to be perfect), problem free and keep my laptop performance as it can. This laptop is my working device.
Eset's solutions are famous and widespread but what about F-Secure? Or you know another solution?

Thank you!
I'm using F-Secure SAFE on several devices - new and older Win PCs and Android phones. It does not slow down performance in any noticeable real time way, its light and I like it because it is not bloated with multiple tools for which I have no need. I want my AV to be an AV, not a Swiss Army Knife, like the security suites that you want to avoid. I moved to F-Secure from Emsisoft which I'd found to be similar in performance, I moved mainly because I wanted to try something else long-term on the main devices at home and i got a good deal for SAFE. I have not used NOD in any serious way for some time, other than an occasional test on a machine that is only used for testing, so that is not a serious comparison.

The few times that I have contacted F-Secure they have always got back to me quickly.

Mar 7, 2020
I've been content with both Eset and Emsisoft, and haven't experienced any negative points with either. Emsisoft also focuses a lot on privacy, so that might be something to consider. ESET has their own signatures, and are considered to be good with updating them; whilst Emsisoft mainly relies on BitDefender signatures, which are also good. If the BitDefender signatures fall behind, Emsisoft's own behaviour blocker can step in, and can be considered to be quite good.

Both ESET and Emsisoft have responded quickly via email whenever I needed support.

You can't go wrong with either of them. I would still recommend you to look at trial versions, and see how it runs on your system.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
I am surprised that you are running a Ryzen 5 with 32 GB of ram and having issues with any AV slowing your system down.
MD should run butter smooth on your system, you should not even be able to notice it running, the same for the other AVs you mentioned.

Some laptops come with a 1 TB HDD has the main system drive, this can be the main reason why most AV's will slow your system down.
If you are running any large capacity HDD with slow read or write performance, you can expect issues with almost any modern AV when doing
system scans.

I sure with that setup you're running a decent SSD or M.2 even NVMe drive has your main system/boot up drive?

Teboo

Thread author
Jul 7, 2021
I am surprised that you are running a Ryzen 5 with 32 GB of ram and having issues with any AV slowing your system down.

If you have a big hardware capacity that doesn't mean antivirus will not slow you down while file operations.

MD should run butter smooth on your system, you should not even be able to notice it running, the same for the other AVs you mentioned.
Yes and no. :) MD is ok until you need copy or move big amount of files. If u have a folder with lot of runtime files and open it = instant slowdown and high CPU usage. By the way if MD is active my laptop CPU fan turn on much more time than other AVs. I don't know why.

I sure with that setup you're running a decent SSD or M.2 even NVMe drive has your main system/boot up drive?

No. My laptop has 512GB Samsung NVMe ssd. My hdd is external.

@Stopspying and @NihonSwede : Thank you!

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Yes and no. :) MD is ok until you need copy or move big amount of files. If u have a folder with lot of runtime files and open it = instant slowdown and high CPU usage. By the way if MD is active my laptop CPU fan turn on much more time than other AVs. I don't know why.
In file copy tests, MD does perform rather poorly. This link, maybe useful to you in regard to AV file copy performance.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
2 years using ESET Nod32 and still using it rn, and I have to say it is very good. No issues at all from me, and performance impact is small to not noticeable at all. And, it doesn't come with other craps like pc tune up stuff, vpn, and such that most security suite now bundle with.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
both are good but i would go with Eset just because it has a firewall and Fsecure doesn't ..... protection wise they should be the same ....well almost
Nod32 does not include the firewall. For that they would need Internet Security, and they said they didn’t want a suite. However, I would agree and say go for ESET.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
You should have configured kaspersky cloud free, to not scan same files unless theyre changed

There were guide of @harlan4096 in the past , and @Evjl's Rain did once said that kcf is lighter than avast/avg nowadays

but if youre going to try out either eset or f secure, you should not rush , and run week of trial to see if it settles down

Bitdefender free is setup & forget , sure it eats ram , but not used ram is wasted ram and it does caching well so you dont have to scan all files all over and over

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.