Advice Request F-Secure banking protection ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Weebarra

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Does this only work with banking websites and should i see something when it's active?

I assumed that any transaction i made where i have to include my card number etc, that this would somehow show me something (similar to the way Kaspersky safe money works) but it doesn't. :unsure: I don't even think i've seen anything when i have visited my banks website either let alone a transaction page.

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
I'm pretty sure that for it to work, you need to install FS Browser plugin.

You would see pop-up flyer (on the top of the screen). It activates automatically once you go to your bank site. In case your bank is new or rare, perhaps you'd need to report it in so they can add it to banking sites list.

Faxx

Sep 7, 2017
Yes, you see a green banner/flyer at the top of the browser window and it will automatically engage when accessing a website in F-secure cloud website database. Tested in Chrome, work fine. Does not support Edge (at least here).

And... yes... you need a plug-in installed.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
It only activates when visiting banking websites and only if your bank's website is listed in F-Secure's database of trusted banking sites.

Hopefully this helps you with troubleshooting:

Weebarra

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Thanks for the replies guys. I do have the browser plug in but i think i've just realised that the problem is, i use duck duck go
Dear Lord, if i had a brain i would be dangerous. i will try it out next time using a supported browser.

BTW : I'm not in love with you guys (even though yous are all kinda cool) but that smiley apparently represents a thanks :p

Weebarra

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Nope, mine is only working intermittently. Chrome seems to be a big problem for me at the moment with everything. I reinstalled the plug in and Chrome but it still wouldn't kick in so I tried Firefox and IE and both are fine. I'll deal with it tomorrow, i'm going to bed :rolleyes:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I like it. It kicks all middle men out and ensures that nobody is snooping on your banking session. That being said just use a separate tab in Chrome and close the tab after you are finished. Make sure to change your banking passwords frequently and you'll be fine.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I find that the banking protection works, mostly, just with financial sites, automatically starting as soon as I navigate to one. It does occasionally start up when visiting random sites, its easy to kill though.

sg09

Level 2
Verified
Apr 3, 2019
I've recently started using F-Secure Safe as my main anti-malware. It's a pretty robust software but the Banking Protection feature is still a work in progress.
It randomly detects many non-financial websites as banking websites. Plus the the default feature of blocking connections considered unsafe during banking protection turned on is harmful in case of FP. Today, it killed one of my transactions in the finishing stage when the banking site redirected to initiating website. So I disabled that feature.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
It randomly detects many non-financial websites as banking websites.
Normally it's very easy disable the Bank Protection by simply click on the option " End " in the notification banner, but in your case you should consider contact the support about those sites.

Start by create a FSDIAG file ( Run diagnostic ) with the built-in support tool. Phone calls during business hours are always fastest. Otherwise try the chat. Include your F-Secure account ID found in settings/support.

Get support for your F-Secure products | F-Secure
the default feature of blocking connections considered unsafe during banking protection turned on is harmful in case of FP. Today, it killed one of my transactions in the finishing stage when the banking site redirected to initiating website. So I disabled that feature.
  1. Select Do not interrupt my current Internet connections if you do not want the banking protection to close your already open connections.
  2. If you leave the setting unselected, the banking protection closes all your current Internet connections as well when it activates.
If that didn't help, it's for sure another reason why you should contact support.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I've recently started using F-Secure Safe as my main anti-malware. It's a pretty robust software but the Banking Protection feature is still a work in progress.
It randomly detects many non-financial websites as banking websites. Plus the the default feature of blocking connections considered unsafe during banking protection turned on is harmful in case of FP. Today, it killed one of my transactions in the finishing stage when the banking site redirected to initiating website. So I disabled that feature.
Depending on which browser you use the experience might differ, I use Firefox and as long as I have enabled permissions (scripts mostly) for any sites that the transaction may redirect to it works fine for me. SInce my post from last year the number of times that the banking protection mistakes non-financial websites has dropped off to almost zero now.

sg09

Level 2
Verified
Apr 3, 2019
If that didn't help, it's for sure another reason why you should contact support.
Probably I should, as 'accidental' enabling of Banking protection blocked yet another site even though "Do not interrupt my current internet connections" was ticked.
Depending on which browser you use the experience might differ, I use Firefox and as long as I have enabled permissions (scripts mostly) for any sites that the transaction may redirect to it works fine for me.
I also use Firefox. And what is that 'enabling permissions on scripts' that you talked about?

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Probably I should, as 'accidental' enabling of Banking protection blocked yet another site even though "Do not interrupt my current internet connections" was ticked.

I also use Firefox. And what is that 'enabling permissions on scripts' that you talked about?
I meant Javascript, if you use extensions like No-Script you'll probably need to enable something in them to get your chosen website to work fully and any ones the transaction might be re-directed to.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I meant Javascript, if you use extensions like No-Script you'll probably need to enable something in them to get your chosen website to work fully and any ones the transaction might be re-directed to.
Thinking something similar as I suspect/ed a possible compatible issue with some extension/addon. Easy to test by simply disable them and see what happens.

@sg09 , almost forgot to ask. Is F-Secures Browsing Protection installed and enabled in your Firefox?
When the extension is switched on in your browser, Browsing Protection keeps your browsing and internet banking safe by supporting both encrypted (HTTPS) and non-encrypted (HTTP) traffic.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.