Updates F-Secure ID PROTECTION replaces KEY in TOTAL

upnorth

Verified
Staff member
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2015
This topic only applies to you if you have a TOTAL subscription.

A new app called ID PROTECTION has now replaced KEY in My F-Secure as part of our new offering to prevent identity theft. ID PROTECTION offers not only a password manager, but also email monitoring to keep track of data breaches and other cyber-security incidents that may affect your passwords and personal data. With F-Secure TOTAL, the number of ID PROTECTION licenses and monitored items is determined by your TOTAL subscription. For example, if you have a 5-device subscription, you can have ID PROTECTION on five devices with up to five email addresses monitored.

As with your other TOTAL apps, you install ID PROTECTION on mobile and desktop devices through My F-Secure with your account credentials.

upnorth

Verified
Staff member
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2015
Personal I'm not too interested in the data breach feature, but more of the password manager. I tested the old version, but can't recall everything as that happened more then a year ago.

Just installed this new version and it was super easy import from other managers, but it only works as intended in either Chrome or Firefox.
In Firefox ( don't have and don't use Chrome ) after the main setup, that included installing an extra extension, I was a bit surprised how smooth and fast it actually is. From the main UI in ID-Protection it open sites in the default set browser and if that ain't FF or Chrome, one is forced to enable a system autofilling setting that in the end only partially works. One also have to reset the autofilling option to browsers, as otherwise nothing happens in FF. :sleep:

I'll test it for a few days to see if I missed out on something, but for now and especially since I use Opera as my default browser, this feels like it needs much more improvements.

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff member
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2015
Un-installed.

I recall now why I gave up the first time. It's not as fast as other password managers. It's also not compatible enough. The whole project seems IMO as something F-Secure should give up instead of try fix by simply add another feature. Their other products is more then solid enough.

MacDefender

Level 14
Verified
Oct 13, 2019
Un-installed.

I recall now why I gave up the first time. It's not as fast as other password managers. It's also not compatible enough. The whole project seems IMO as something F-Secure should give up instead of try fix by simply add another feature. Their other products is more then solid enough.

I agree! Once I went with 1Password I found it hard to switch to most of the AV-included password managers. They simply don't have the same set of features and cross-platform compatibility.

I'd much rather F-Secure spend time on other parts of the kitchen sink (like a firewall/IDS component, for example), KEY is not a very compelling product, despite me having high regards for SAFE.

miyagi

Level 1
Jul 7, 2013
I agree with upnorth and macdefender. Have been trying out their ID Protection and kind of disappointed with their per device approach. I have the 5 devices version and that counts per device. There are so many good and free password managers that allow for unlimited devices for syncing. I know they prefer to store your own passwords on the user's devices vs their server but make it more practical. Uninstalled for now and using Lastpass.