Battle F-Secure Internet Security 2016 VS Norton Security 2016

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
first of all trust in security is more important than security.
yup in compare between two softwares norton is better i know.
but this company show we can't trust them.
they have good software but emmm... :D
if u want spying by usa government and belevie them yup i agree :D
but i do't want security+usa watch doging :D
So I suppose Kaspersky and Dr Web are out of the way as well according to your opinion.
Then the chinese ones are also out of the way, leaving european ones correct? Wait lets also throw AVG into the mix due to their latest scandal.

You are free to voice your opinion but your initial comment was going towards the lines of politics and so fort. MT is a multi cultural community and this is not needed here.

Reactions: CySecy825

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
So I suppose Kaspersky and Dr Web are out of the way as well according to your opinion.
Then the chinese ones are also out of the way, leaving european ones correct? Wait lets also throw AVG into the mix due to their latest scandal.

You are free to voice your opinion but your initial comment was going towards the lines of politics and so fort. MT is a multi cultural community and this is not needed here.
i agree with u and i do't want talk about politics, i just want said it:
"dose we can trust a security company who work with..."
we have many good AVs and better choice, when we can choose better one why choose a worst one!

Last edited:

stevethetester

Level 1
Verified
Jan 3, 2016
Hi,
I do a lot of testing and currently hold full (legal) licences for Bitdefender Internet Security 2016, F-Secure 2016, Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 and recently tested Norton. I found that F Secure is very good but isn't as good as Norton although Norton does delay boot times by quite a lot in comparison to the others. Norton has an excellent firewall ( F Secure is Windows dependent)as well secondary protection which works very well - as long as you are connected to the internet like most modern suites; most of the protection is cloud based. If it comes to a vote between the two I would plump for Norton. Which one do I use? Bitdefender (which has improved massively over the past 3-4 years) as I have found it's detection/performance and overall effect on my system to be better than the others; I gave up on Kaspersky when I switched to windows 10 and found that there were loads of issues which effectively meant that several of the features that worked with windows 8.1 only worked on a limited basis and thereby reduced it's overall protection. Hope this helps you with your decision!

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
We really do not have to introduce personal opinions on the home country of the security software.Just state the facts about the software.
An example would be:
Kaspersky a Russian security company
Norton an American company
Anything more than that is just a personal opinion on a particular company and or it's government and that has no place anywhere on this site.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Even without a third party firewall and using WIN 10 M$ will always spy on the user!
Unfortunately everyone is spying on everyone else,but you can minimize the risk!
Here is a link to configure the default firewall in Win 10(assuming you are using it)
Or here
Sorry for going off topic!!
I'm using Norton and KIS at the moment!
I would use F Secure,but there is a bug at the moment,nothing major just a graphical error I believe where you get a 403 error instead of "F Secure has blocked this page"!
Only happens if you try downloading a file with an exe extension to it
Bug w/IS2016 causes 403 error instead of F-Secure block page to appear - F-Secure Community - 78971

Unfortunately F Secure does not work properly with Shadow Defender!!:(

Last edited:

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
You basically have to deal with Symantec, a giant in endpoint computer security (like Microsoft is in computer operating systems), offering a product that has seen constant improvement and user support, boasting powerful and tested securtity components, especially SONAR (Symantec's proprietary behavior blocking technology implemented in Norton Internet Security).

As far as F-Secure Internet Security is concerned, you may have noticed that it leases the signature engine and database from BitDefender, so the effectiveness of its signature-based detection depends on a 3rd party provider for that technology (this might be questionable to some, however BitDefender has rather high detection rates). Also, F-Secure utilizes native Windows Firewall modules in order to provide network protection (while this is perfectly fine, one would expect to pay a bit less for a component which essentially provides the same core functionality of an already built-in Windows component). The strongest and most interesting component of this product would be DeepGuard, F-Secure's behavior blocker, which has proven its effectiveness, at least in some tests conducted by AV testing organizations (however unreliable those organizations might supposedly be, one has to acknowledge the fact that they did reward F-Secure with security awards due to the overall effectiveness performance of DeepGuard).

I would go with Norton Internet Security, but that only my personal opinion.
In the end, however, I believe that the choice rests on the user's shoulders, as there seems to be no fine line to distinguish the overall effectiveness and appeal of one security package from the other.

Last edited:

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
I can not comment on Norton's lightness, but F-Secure is really light. I can't tell difference between Webroot/F-Secure (Webroot being the lightest I've used). But I do use beta version, so perhaps it has been improved over older versions (we're close to release tho).

F-Secure has really great detection capabilities, including DeepGuard. In my tests it has been excellent. Yeah, signatures are from Bitdefender but nonetheless, they have Cloud + DeepGuard on their own house. Plus banking protection.

F-Secure is a solid product, especially for privacy focused people (see their website about it).

I have not tried Norton in quite some time but I think it's really good product. Just lacks some PUP detection capabilities as far as I've seen.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.