Poll F-Secure Internet Security 2017 Review by PCMag 3,5/5 stars

Discussion in 'F-Secure' started by Sundaram999, Nov 21, 2016.

?

What do you think about this review?

1. I agree

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. I disagree

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  3. I do not read reviews like this one

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  1. Sundaram999

Sundaram999 Level 5

Jun 11, 2014
    F-Secure Internet Security 2017 Review by PCMag 3,5/5 stars

Pros

Excellent scores in our hands-on malware and malicious URL blocking tests. Firewall-assist component blocked many exploits. Banking protection prevents man-in-the-middle attacks.

Cons

Core functionality vulnerable to malicious attack. Child with administrator privileges can disable minimal parental control. Mediocre score in our antiphishing test. Good, not great, scores from independent testing labs.

Bottom Line

The antivirus components of F-Secure Internet Security scored high in our testing, aided by the suite-specific Browsing Protection features. However, the rest of its components don't make up a top-notch suite.

Full article: F-Secure Internet Security (2017)

2. F-Secure is definitely not the best Internet Security Suite available for the price. It does ok but not the best in terms of detection rates & has very little extra features. I am not a big fan of the GUI or settings either but that's just me.

ZeroDay, Yash Khan, venustus and 7 others like this.
  3. rosendalek

rosendalek Level 3

Aug 16, 2016
    Perth, WA
    Windows 10
    Trend Micro
    no doubt pcmag once again gave bitdefender a perfect score, after a little cash incentive from BD

4. adnage19

adnage19 Level 5

Sep 22, 2016
    Poznań, Poland
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    First of all, there is no 2017 edition of F-secure yet, AFAIK :p
    Well, actually it has pretty good detection rate and its DeepGuard is quite effective. In terms of protection F-Secure is really good.

5. Fritz

Fritz Level 11

Sep 28, 2015
    Germany
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    While they're not known for year-round firesales, I highly value their product as well as their policy.

The GUI is very simplistic (which I like) and the features cover most regular use cases. Imagine you're not a nerd and have to sift through something like Kaspersky. Pure horror. F-Secure is install and forget. It also doesn't nag much or constantly reminds you of its presence, just so you know your money was well spent like a majority does.

Pearl96, amir 957, Trickster and 9 others like this.
  6. carsten ibsen

carsten ibsen Level 20

Sep 18, 2016
    retired
    denmark
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    Thank god i don't have to worry about F-secure,because i have BD total Protection:)

7. Yeah it has good detection rates but nothing extremely good/the best of the best like Emsisoft...

I do agree that for newer users this is a good idea to have a small selection of settings, a simple GUI, etc.

8. Wave

Wave Guest

IMO F-Secure is terrible. I still have nightmares and flashbacks to the day I went to do a test on my host, it was uninstalled within 30 seconds of the installation being complete and the test had to be cancelled. I don't know how they can possibly release it, even the installer is awfully slow. I had never seen anything like it before :D

9. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 52
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
    I don't read PC-Mag reviews, they are not an unbiased reviewer
    or reliable. I am surprised Jack allows them posted seeing they lack
    credibility.

Pearl96, ZeroDay, Yash Khan and 10 others like this.
  10. Fritz

Fritz Level 11

Sep 28, 2015
    Germany
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Well I do run Emsisoft, too. :p Just felt to give credit where it's due. ;)

Yeah, most would get lost otherwise and probably use settings that don't even protect them.

Wow. Had it on 5 PCs for a year and it was the first AV that really never got in the way. Switched to Emsisoft because so many in the AV community swear by it, but even there I had to punch out the hourly update messages. Can't recall the installation process exactly, but I think it went just fine back then.

11. Exterminator

Exterminator Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 23, 2012
    USA
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    I do not read their reviews or would I make a decision about using a software based on the review.
    However as we are an unbiased site they can be posted.I think enough members make good points about these reviews that the inexperienced user could make an informed decision regarding using these reviews to purchase and use a reviewed software.

12. In2an3_PpG

In2an3_PpG Level 11

Nov 15, 2016
    IT Jr. Network Admin
    United States
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    I tend not to believe any of the reviews they put out. I only believe what i can see happening in front of my eyes when i test them out myself. F-Secure, pretty darn good with signatures being that they share that responsibility with BD. Zero-Day, eh, their Deepguard is alright.

Pearl96, frogboy, tim one and 8 others like this.
  13. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 52
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
    Your spot on brother, I just don't like their reviews :)

14. novocaine

novocaine Level 4

Aug 19, 2016
    Surabaya
    Windows 7
    Comodo
    I don't like any review either by magazine or AV labs, I like considering MT top notch member suggestion

[​IMG]

frogboy, Lord Ami, Trickster and 8 others like this.
  15. jerzy601

jerzy601 Level 13

Jun 20, 2011
    Windows 8.1
    ESET
    some time ago he used the F-Secure, and I was happy with this program, but the risk because I finished my license so I had to install another program security system.
    I am not suggesting that the opinions of everyone take the same decisions which will use the program and how it matches the equipment you have.
    besides, your security system have to try and adjust well after some time you can stwierdzć whether a program fits or not.

frogboy, tim one, Yash Khan and 2 others like this.
  16. Chromatinfish 123

May 26, 2014
    Canada/United States
    Kaspersky
    I think I would rather have a sense of freedom of speech, as PCMag doesn't really harm anyone by doing these reviews directly. However, i agree that they're not the best reviewer.

_CyberGhosT_ and Yash Khan like this.
  17. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Level 22

Aug 17, 2013
    Birmingham UK
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    You lost me at PCMag.

18. Oh yeah the installer is horrible. I tested in my VM about half a year ago & will be testing it soon on my channel and wow the installer takes ages!

19. adnage19

adnage19 Level 5

Sep 22, 2016
    Poznań, Poland
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    It doesn't :p Recent versions install smoothly.

Fritz likes this.
  20. Good! Well when I last tested this it really was quite terrible...

adnage19 likes this.