Hot Take F-Secure Internet Security and Anti-Virus Products Reaching End of Sales

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Their site update was a surprise even for me as I heard of no major updates on that part. Their new logo/icon for the software starts to slowly sink in, but parts of this site change/switch was obvious done in a hurry as there scattered leftovers from SAFE etc. The transition could have been done much smoother with a bit of information, sent a few days before at least to their customers/users. Normally helps keep down the complains and questions.

The only page I personal feel is good enough to explain this name changes is this one:
What are the differences between the old F-Secure Internet Security and the new F-Secure Internet Security released on February 14? Your F-Secure Internet Security purchased before February 14, 2023, can no longer be renewed. For more information, see the following article: F-Secure Internet Security and F-Secure Anti-Virus reaching end of sales.

As of February 14, 2023, when it's time for you to renew your subscription, we recommend that you upgrade your old F-Secure Internet Security subscription to F-Secure Total.

We have, however, decided to keep the term "internet security" in use and change the name of the current F-Secure SAFE subscription to F-Secure Internet Security. This change takes effect on February 14, 2023. The reason for the name change is that "internet security" describes better the purpose of the product which is to protect you and your family against online threats on all devices and platforms. Also, thanks to the transparency of the term, "internet security" is better understood by the public.
With the new F-Secure Internet Security, you don't need a license key; instead when upgrading, you are guided to create an F-Secure account with which you can manage your subscriptions and product installations through the My F-Secure service. The following table provides a summary of the differences in features between the old and new Internet Security subscription:
2023-02-14_19-16-21.jpg

Plain and simple: SAFE is now renamed to, Internet Security.

TOTAL still exist and I can guess that will be much more advertised/propagated in the future. Their VPN and the ID-Protection is still available as standalone products, but for how long. 🤷‍♂️

That the old AntiVirus version was about to be ditched was not anything new, as they flagged about that more then long enough. It's actually still possible to download, but they officially state it's not possible as a new customer buy a license. Now also official old AV customers can't renew.

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

Its confusing. From what I gathered whilst briefly reading this is that Internet Security is no more and that Safe is renamed to Internet Security????? I could be wrong.
It says F-Secure SAFE on the desktop and F-Secure Internet Security in the online my.fsecure.com management portal.

Logo change on the F-Secure website and in the my.fsecure.com portal.

Now there will be a debate about the old versus the new F-Secure logo.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
Could have thought slightly different names up, I thought it was confusing but I thought it must be me :p:p

Szellem

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Somewhat understandable. More products, more energy, etc.

So everything is concentrated in one or two products.

Kaspersky did the same thing. They eliminated the antivirus family. Only they shut up about it. By the way, you can't compare Kaspersky Antivirus with F-Secure Antivirus because one had less features the other had more features.

In the case of F-Secure, it was a legitimate and not a disadvantageous decision.

In the case of Kaspersky, however, I am angry with them, very angry.

LittleDude

Level 2
Verified
Jun 17, 2014
According to F-Secure you won't need a licence key to renew, it is now done through your account.
Can you still use SerialCart etc or will you be forced to pay full price directly through F-Secure moving forward? This would be a dealbreaker for me as I can get EIS licence for around US$10.

Reactions: amico81

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
According to F-Secure you won't need a licence key to renew, it is now done through your account.
Can you still use SerialCart etc or will you be forced to pay full price directly through F-Secure moving forward? This would be a dealbreaker for me as I can get EIS licence for around US$10.
Not sure why anyone would be forced suddenly to pay full price directly through F-Secure, as that never been a problem with genuine trusted valid re-sellers. But I rather let @SerialCart answer that instead.

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
Based on my understanding not much will be changed but the way that you activate your software. What I mean by that?

So before F-Secure Products had 2 different activation methods:

1- For Antivirus and Internet Security:
For these products you should have added your license key directly into the software and activate your subscription

2- For F-Secure Safe and Total:
For these products (before and still now) you should enter a voucher key which you can order from us into your F-Secure account and then you activate your subscription. Then to activate your software, you should login into your F-Secure account within your software.

I believe it is a nice move as F-Secure has a state of the art license management (the best that we have ever seen for the end users).

So basically from now, instead of license key, you can buy the Internet-Security voucher keys (as Safe and Total) and then activate your subscription via your F-Secure account.

I hope that I could have explained everything clearly.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
F-Secure Internet Security & Anti-Virus reaching End of Life
We would like to announce that F-Secure Internet Security (code-based) and Anti-Virus are reaching their end of life. This means that these products will no longer receive updates or security patches after Dec 1st, 2023.

However, we are offering you a free upgrade to F-Secure Total with no additional cost. For more information, you can go to this link.

We understand this may be a big change. If you have any questions or need assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for being a valued F-Secure customer. We appreciate your continued trust.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
It's still being used here by my ISP, U.S. MInn. It's the rebranded version, to make it look like Spectrum's own. Back 10-15 years ago, it was pretty much the F-Secure dashboard, with some options missing. They were also 1 build, version behind the paid-for version which I had previously bought and compared with to Charter/Spectrum.

Last edited:

Oldie1950

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2022
I'm slowly no longer understanding F-Secure's version policy. I bought F-Secure Internet Security in September 2023. Do I have to upgrade this program to F-Secure Total or is this "new" version still supported?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I'm slowly no longer understanding F-Secure's version policy. I bought F-Secure Internet Security in September 2023. Do I have to upgrade this program to F-Secure Total or is this "new" version still supported?
We would like to announce that F-Secure Internet Security (code-based) and Anti-Virus are reaching their end of life. This means that these products will no longer receive updates or security patches after Dec 1st, 2023.

However, we are offering you a free upgrade to F-Secure Total with no additional cost. For more information, you can go to this link.
Supported till Dec 1st, 2023.

You can upgrade to F-Secure Total for free, as soon as the upgrade is available to you, following the instructions on the linked page:
As soon as the upgrade is available to you, you'll see the end-of-life notification on the product's main view. To upgrade to F-Secure Total:
  1. On the product's main view, select the Learn morelink in the end-of-life notification.
    Note: If you want to know more, select the More details... link in the notification.
    The Continue your protection page opens.
  2. Scroll down the page and select Create an account. The Create an account window opens.
  3. Enter the required data and select Accept and create account. Once the account has been created, the My F-Secure page opens and your subscription will be updated automatically to F-Secure Total. Also, the F-Secure Total app will be installed automatically on your Windows device(s).
  4. Go to the F-Secure app and activate your account on the device by selecting Log in in the top-right corner and entering the account credentials that you created in the previous step. Now the following features are available to you: People and Devices, Family Rules, Password Vault, ID Monitoring, and Privacy VPN. You will also be notified of tasks you need to complete, such as setting up browser extensions, to stay fully protected.
  5. Restart your computer to finalize the upgrade.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Why is a product still sold by F-Secure if it is no longer supported as of December 1, 2023?
I agree, I was looking at that too, on the US website yesterday which also shows it "being business as usual" without any heads-up disclaimer in the ad. It could almost seem a little misleading, like a bait and switch to a more expensive product to renew with in the future, along with add-ons people didn't need or want with Total.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.