F-Secure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread author
Are F-Secure programs good? I've considered trying out their software and switching out the services I currently use for F-Secure's.

i.e.
Lastpass for F-Secure Key
VPN for Freedome

Reactions: upnorth

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Freedome works very smooth but without blocking WebRTC in your browser it's useless as any other VPN product.

Test here : IP/DNS Detect

Last edited:
Reactions: 37507

thepierrezou

Level 8
Verified
Sep 25, 2013
You can use adguard or even ublock origin for example to block webrtc connection.
Anyway the freedome vpn is not that good if you download torrent.
For F-secure key I didn't tested but I think it's more trustable than lastpass (lastpass already been hacked)
Their antivirus is good for a silent antivirus, even if I think Bitdefender is better. F-secure is lighter, the support is really kind, and ui are really nice(except on the internet security but it depends on your tastes)

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
...freedome vpn is not that good if you download torrent.
Personal I haven't had any issues with torrents and Freedome but that could ofcourse depend on many things. What seams to be the problem for you?

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Thanks for the info. I remember seen that post before and that also explains why I havent any issues with torrents and Freedome from my country. :)

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
FSecure's AV technology is quite good, and their reputation/behaviour blocker DeepGuard is very well designed. If you want to read more about the technology, read this: https://www.f-secure.com/documents/996508/1030745/deepguard_whitepaper.pdf

Also, I particularly respect them for taking their AV products' security seriously. They are one of the two vendors that I know of which has a bug bounty program, which rewards researchers for their hard work in finding vulnerabilities in their products and thereby making their customers safer. Their software agreement also specifically shields researchers from legal action when reversing their software to find vulnerabilities, unlike certain other vendors who try to shut researchers up with lawsuits.

On the down side, their malware reporting system leaves much to be desired if you do not own a license. Which is bad, because most researchers won't have a license.

Freedome works very smooth but without blocking WebRTC in your browser it's useless as any other VPN product.

Test here : IP/DNS Detect

You are wrong to say that VPNs are useless just because it doesn't block WebRTC. VPNs are there to provide a secure encrypted connection say when you are using public hotspots etc., with privacy benefits as a secondary benefit.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
You are wrong to say that VPNs are useless just because it doesn't block WebRTC. VPNs are there to provide a secure encrypted connection say when you are using public hotspots etc., with privacy benefits as a secondary benefit.

That's also one of the main resons why I personal use both Freedome and other VPN products.

Let me try refrase myself instead of perhaps looking in general like I crap on everything and all thats VPN as that is not my point. A VPN product itself is normaly not useless and does what it's supposed to do but...if a VPN product of any kind/vendor/brand external or internal do Not protect the user/users it is not doing what it's supposed to do. A VPN is Not supposed to show everyone and everything your local IP. There are already today several vendors/brands that understand the issue and does include the option to block WebRTC.

Instead of belive my words for it I strongly advise any VPN user that read this to simply click on any of the supplied test links and see for yourself if your VPN works or not :

If your local IP shows itself your screwed like it or not but there is a cure available...simply disable WebRTC and redo the test. ;)

Here's a few tools that will disable WebRTC in your browser :

IE ( Internet Explorer ) not an issue with WebRTC.
FF ( FireFox ) : WebRTC Control
Opera : WebRTC Control
Crome : Not tested as I don't have it and it seams the addons that's available got bad reviews.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.