TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Good morning, it has been some time since this malware has been around, and I'd like to discuss about it with you. This malware usually tags you, and lots of other friends of the infected person in a post, containing a malicious link which seems to lead to an hard-content video, in order to invite you clicking on it. It can also post in groups, in private chats of create group conversations. I've seen few of these going around on posts, and I Also received some in private chats. I was told that, If you click on the link, a malicious application will be installed into Facebook and it will start spreading the malware (is this right?). How can this kind of malware be classified? Is this a Facebook exploit? How is this able to automatically install the application without asking? Thanks in advance

Bryan Lam

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2015
To be honest with you, coming from the perspective of chrome...It SHOULD NOT infect or spread anything through or to facebook. Even without anti-virus or anti-malware it shouldn't happen, but there are always those exploits which people have access to. So it may be possible. Either way, stay safe guys

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
The main problem is that this is not like traditional malware: you can't just use a virtual machine and test it, because it's connected to the Facebook account. I believe it's not related to Windows itself and you can also get infected using mobile devices or other OS

L

LabZero

The main problem is that this is not like traditional malware: you can't just use a virtual machine and test it, because it's connected to the Facebook account. I believe it's not related to Windows itself and you can also get infected using mobile devices or other OS
Well I don't think that this malware is so mysterious if you consider that Javascript is enabled on Windows and Android browsers and others.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Usually facebook malware that post spam for you without your knowledge is due to a rouge app like that @xCharbz said. But the content in the post are all sorts of different malware like trojans or keyloggers that affect you outside facebook because the end goal is still to gather information from infected users.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.