Failed to retrieve driver handle (nvterp.sys)

Discussion in 'NoVirusThanks' started by Gapp, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Gapp

Gapp Level 2

Mar 26, 2017
    Mechanic
    Queenstown, Singapore
    Windows 8.1
    Avast
    Build version:
    Beta releases may be unstable and contain unreported bugs
    I just resurrected a Windows 7 partition with Avast Free + TinyWall + Zemana Anti-malware Portable + Malwarebytes Premium + NVT_ERP ver 3.1. I updated Avast Free to Avast Free 17.5.2303 (build 17.5.3585.0) via install-over and then rebooted. After reboot, I was dumbfounded that NVT_ERP ver3.1 cannot start. It showed a pop-up "Failed to retrieve driver handle (nvterp.sys)". I could not make it start. I placed that as exclusion in Avast but it was a no go.

I uninstalled NVT_ERP and rebooted 2x then re-installed it but the issue was the same. Now that resurrected partition is running without NVT_ERP.

Can someone help please... :(

[​IMG]

2. pablozi

pablozi Level 22
    Trusted

Jun 14, 2011
    Null Island
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    First check in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] if there is no doubled entry for nvterp.sys and if it is so then remove one of them.
    If there is no doubled entry in this registry key then you'll need to check activity logs of ZAM, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Avast as one of them can be the troublemaker (personally I would suggest to start with Avast).