Failed to retrieve driver handle (nvterp.sys)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gapp

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 26, 2017
I just resurrected a Windows 7 partition with Avast Free + TinyWall + Zemana Anti-malware Portable + Malwarebytes Premium + NVT_ERP ver 3.1. I updated Avast Free to Avast Free 17.5.2303 (build 17.5.3585.0) via install-over and then rebooted. After reboot, I was dumbfounded that NVT_ERP ver3.1 cannot start. It showed a pop-up "Failed to retrieve driver handle (nvterp.sys)". I could not make it start. I placed that as exclusion in Avast but it was a no go.

I uninstalled NVT_ERP and rebooted 2x then re-installed it but the issue was the same. Now that resurrected partition is running without NVT_ERP.

Can someone help please... :(

EBBqoSV.png

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
First check in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] if there is no doubled entry for nvterp.sys and if it is so then remove one of them.
If there is no doubled entry in this registry key then you'll need to check activity logs of ZAM, MBAM and Avast as one of them can be the troublemaker (personally I would suggest to start with Avast).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.