App Review Fake OBS Studio Hack Targeting YouTubers | John Hammond

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
John Hammond

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Similar to the GIMP case. The combination of Google and open source software should be viewed with caution.
The fact that it is not uncommon for open source software to distribute versions with small changes in short cycles may also be convenient for the abusers.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Similar to the GIMP case. The combination of Google and open source software should be viewed with caution.
The fact that it is not uncommon for open source software to distribute versions with small changes in short cycles may also be convenient for the abusers.
Very true, but SEO poisoning is a very old attack vector and one should be vigilant with any search engine and extra if one only use a browsers default ad-block/track settings.

But, Google does fall very short year after year with some of it's default protection settings being turned OFF, when all other major search engines has it turned ON. * Cough Cough * Tavis! :p

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
@upnorth
I think there is an aspect that users who routinely download online software, including open source, are accustomed to allowing av warnings.
If I were to become infected, I am sure this would be the route of infection.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.